Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 PM

342 posts, read 590,906 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone want to be a prize fighter? its hard on the body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:24 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
It's hard on the brain too. Boxing has always been a poor man's "out" so to speak. It's the most difficult sport to make it to the top, yet it's the easiet to turn pro, just pass a physical and get a license and you're a pro. No scouts, no try-outs, no media frenzy. You will need a whole lot of heart, determination, skill and stamina to make it to the top though. Once you do, you stand at the top of the mountain alone. No teammates to share the glory, you earn that title all on your own with the guidance of a good coach.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:30 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's hard on the brain too. Boxing has always been a poor man's "out" so to speak. It's the most difficult sport to make it to the top, yet it's the easiet to turn pro, just pass a physical and get a license and you're a pro. No scouts, no try-outs, no media frenzy. You will need a whole lot of heart, determination, skill and stamina to make it to the top though. Once you do, you stand at the top of the mountain alone. No teammates to share the glory, you earn that title all on your own with the guidance of a good coach.
That pretty much sums it up for me ( although I never went pro). Some people are just attracted to the sport. It involves a lot more strategy and thinking than most people think. A good boxer anticipates his opponets next move, and puts himself in position to hit and not be hit in return. He (or she) has to keep cool when under fire from their opponent, and maintain the ability to think when under pressure. And you must have the physical stamina to pull all of this off

Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
That pretty much sums it up for me ( although I never went pro). Some people are just attracted to the sport. It involves a lot more strategy and thinking than most people think. A good boxer anticipates his opponets next move, and puts himself in position to hit and not be hit in return. He (or she) has to keep cool when under fire from their opponent, and maintain the ability to think when under pressure. And you must have the physical stamina to pull all of this off

This is true, and the best 'boxers' (that's a boxer not a one dimensional slugger or swarmer) is a chameleon, he fights to an opponent's strength, and systematically dismantles him. A good boxer does things to set up situations for himself, he exposes weaknesses. The best 'boxers' are artists, they are strategists and psychological manipulators. Don't mean to overstate, and of course it is true that all this can go for naught; the smartest and the most technically adept can get banged right out of the ring on some nights.

Boxing, when it's best is by far the sport that requires the best of you. I am a long time fan, never boxed pro but did have some kickboxing bouts. But I have been around the game quite a bit, have met some of the most famous fighters, and have known some on a very personal level. The one problem with the game today is a total lack of regulation. Boxing is so easy to manipulate, there is so much money bet on fights that it's easy prey for those with ulterior motives, it really is a shame. There was a time when I'd watch every fight, any fight that came on. The problem soon became that I'd have to watch ten to see a great one, and the bigger problem was that I never knew where they were coming from. You can get all geared up for a war, pay your $60, invite your friends over, have the beer iced and the pizza ordered, and then what happens? It's either a real dog of a fight or it is over before you even settle in. The flip side of that is you can turn on a fight between two guys you never heard of, guys with skills but not yet on the radar, and because of the way the styles and levels of expertise come together you are watching one for the ages; it can be very frustrating...

Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
Why would anyone want to be a prize fighter? its hard on the body.
Not really. Hard on the brain and nose yes, but these guys physically are some of the best conditioned athletes in the sportsworld. They really only work 2-3 days per year (at the top level) with the rest of the time in training (which is working out like many of us already do). I dont consider training to be working because I already train like a fighter because I enjoy it and its GOOD FOR MY BODY.

Plus, what else can you do to make 3 million or more for only 36 minutes worth of work?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
My brother was a boxer in the army in the early-50's and had a bright future in it professionally had he chose to do so. There were reasons for his decline, but it was only in recent years when he began to feel grateful for it. In the short time he boxed he broke his nose (which, of course, is to be expected), and suffered some hearing loss.

However, he did take pride in his physical condition and has maintained a regime all these decades. He's 79 now, still does his push-ups every morning, lifts weights, walks, watches his diet, and looks 15 years younger. He's very disciplined. Wish I was that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing