Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,307,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I see this fight being similar to Mayweather-Judah or Wright-Mosley, with of course Mayweather beating a game but fading and outclassed Mosley.
Right yet again. Mayweather too much for Mosley. Mayweather underappreciated by the knockout-obsessed MMA crowd but who cares? Like many true fans of the "Sweet Science", I feel fortunate to witness the career of Floyd Mayweather Jr. He's incredible.

Great win for the future hall of famer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,438,392 times
Quote:
Right yet again. Mayweather too much for Mosley. Mayweather underappreciated by the knockout-obsessed MMA crowd but who cares? Like many true fans of the "Sweet Science", I feel fortunate to witness the career of Floyd Mayweather Jr. He's incredible.

He's not an exciting fighter, yes he is great, but not exciting. I think most of you buy his PPV's to see if he loses not because he is fun to watch.

I used to love boxing, but it is yesterdays sport. MMA is the present and future. That's my opinion and I am not just saying it to provoke boxing fans so please don't be offended. That's the last boxing match I ever watch, I don't even care about it any more. I'd rather watch a Division I wrestling match.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
He's not an exciting fighter, yes he is great, but not exciting. I think most of you buy his PPV's to see if he loses not because he is fun to watch.

I used to love boxing, but it is yesterdays sport. MMA is the present and future. That's my opinion and I am not just saying it to provoke boxing fans so please don't be offended. That's the last boxing match I ever watch, I don't even care about it any more. I'd rather watch a Division I wrestling match.
You're entitled to your opinion. MMA is not in my present or future.

Floyd Mayweather is yet another reason why I love this sport.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 05-02-2010 at 12:19 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 07:47 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,816,007 times
Quote:
Floyd looks more ripped, the result of youth, extreme workouts, and activity in the ring. He's more than ready. Mosley looks less ripped, the result of age, inactivity, extreme workouts, and a severe DIET! Both look impressive, but Floyd looks like he has the edge.
Mosley is known to be a gym rat guy goes on vacation and ends up in a gym boxing people

Floyd is just a bigger gym rat and more conditioned. Heck look at his father. I think Sr is in better condition then Mosley is

Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,331,042 times
Quote:
I'm not a big MMA fan, but I will definitely take MMA over boring, tactical fights like Mayweather/Mosley. But when boxing is at its best (frequently when Pacquiao is fighting, although I don't want to see him fight Mayweather b/c that fight would be a stinker like all Mayweather fights) it is the most exciting event in all of sports. That's the problem with guys like Mayweather. For all his tactical brilliance, he is not exciting or entertaining to watch. He boxes well, has amazing reflexes and defensive skills, and he gets the win. But he doesn't inspire the way the all-time greats do at important times in their careers (or at least not since he fought Corrales almost a decade ago).

Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 AM

10,168 posts, read 20,716,770 times
It was refreshing to see Floyd display his abilities. I often criticize him because he fights beneath his ability. He can be a very exciting fighter if he wasn't so defensive. He can be great as the aggressor which he proved last night, I just wish he fight more like that instead of his typical retreating style with occasional pot shots and flurries. This is the Floyd people want to see.

As for MMA, I couldn't name five of the top fighters in MMA. To me tt's glorified bar-fighting. I tried to get into it, but in most cases I am disappointed, especially the over-hyped fights that are supposed to be epic battles. Of course boxing has it's share of disappointments as well.

Not to take anything away from the conditioning of the MMA guys, but they are nowhere near the league of a professional boxer when it comes to skill and pure punching power. But, that's why there is an audience for both camps. Some appreciate the skill and science of boxing, others want to see a more raw form of mixing it up. It takes a different skill set to excel in either sport, so it's best to just agree to disagree on which is better or more entertaining.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 PM

A Mayweather win always brings out the grunts who are obsessed with knockouts and knockdowns. They want to see quick, violent action and endings and MMA fits the bill. I'd rather watch an orchestra performance than lose a bunch of brain cells watching that glorified wrestling joke of a sport that is MMA.

With that said, for this hardcore boxing fan, there is excitement in any match featuring two combatants engaged in hand to hand combat. They are expected to be tactical affairs. The smarter and more skilled the fighters are, the more tactical these fights become. That's why it's called "the sweet science." I just love this aspect of it and I find it far more exciting than seeing two neanderthals fall to the canvas to wrestle surrounded by a bunch of screaming roller-derby/ WWF fans. Boxing is akin to the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes. MMA is akin to a bunch of yahoos in the backwoods racing frogs. Two different classes of sports here.

So, my hats off again to Floyd Mayweather! Great to witness the unfolding of his hall of fame career adn I for one appreciated this win.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:26 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,438,392 times
Alexus with all due respect, I don't understand the correlation you make from MMA to "yahoos in the backwoods". Are you talking about the fans or the actual fighters?

While I will agree that some of the fans that follow MMA are "backwoods", the fighters themselves have to know far more than any practitioner of the "sweet science". An MMA champion like Fedor Emelianenko knows Judo, Sambo, Muay Thai and has to know how to defend Olympic Caliber Wrestling take-downs as well as throw the hands. Also, let us compare raw credentials of the fighters; we have guys with degrees :

Math/education (Rich Franklin)
Accounting (Chuck Liddell)
Mechanical Engineering (Shane Carwin).
PhD in Psychology (Jeff Monson )
PhD in Psychology (Terry Martin)
pre-medicine and a linguist (Carlos Newton)
Business (Roger Huerta)

You see, the great thing about MMA is that wrestlers usually graduate from college: Brock Lesnar, Matt Hughes, Frank Edgar, Josh Koscheck...the list literally can go on.

So, while the fans might be a bit aggressive in MMA, the fighters are far smarter than boxers, they have to know more styles, more counters etc.

Backwoods? I think not.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Alexus with all due respect, I don't understand the correlation you make from MMA to "yahoos in the backwoods"..
This is a thread about Mayweather's victory over Mosley, not a venue for yet another attempt by MMA fan to scream for attention. MMA sucks. Glorified wrestling. You say they're educated? Who cares? They certainly are not refined enough to excel in the Sweet Science.

In the meantime, Floyd Mayweather just a great fighter to behold. That's what this thread is about...with all due respect.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 05-02-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,855,078 times
Quote:

True. I think with this win, he SHOULD now be mentioned as an all time (at least top ten) great at 147. Dude is just phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing