U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 AM

84 posts, read 182,670 times

Advertisements

Btw, Mosley agreed to take ANY type of testing Floyd Mayweather wants him to.
By Eric Thomas: According to Michael Marley of Examiner.com, unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr isn’t moving forward with his fight with World Boxing Association welterweight champion Shane Mosley. Marley states that a source within the Mayweather camp says that Floyd has added up what he’d likely make in his bout with Mosley, which is $10 million, and compared it to the $40 million that he’d get in a fight with the smaller Manny Pacquiao and sees that as the easier fight compared to Mosley.

Apparently, the Mayweather camp are busy discussing whether it will be worth it to take the tough fight against Mosley for the smaller money or wait on a fight against Pacquiao for a much bigger payday without as much risk involved. I can certainly understand why Mayweather might not want to fight Mosley. If Mayweather loses the fight, he destroys his chance for a big money fight against Pacquiao. In addition, say what you will about Pacquiao being the best fighter in all of boxing but he’s smaller than Mosley and not a true welterweight. Pacquiao, with his aggressive, some say reckless, style of fighting, he’s the type of fighter that Mayweather has always done well against.

Mayweather and his team, according to Marley’s source, are debating whether to try and restart the talks with Pacquiao’s management team after Manny gets past Clottey on March 13th. The logic here is that a dangerous fight against Mosley won’t likely attract a great deal of paperview revenue compared to a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Rest can be read here:

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2010/01/...ey-fight-news/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,771,423 times

Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 PM

191 posts, read 252,217 times
Mayweather is pathetic. If he was so concerned about making money he would have dropped all of the stupid drug testing requirements and made the fight with Pacquiao. He was clearly afraid to fight Manny and now he's showing he's too afraid to fight Mosley. He claims to be the best, yet he cherry picks weaker opponents, running away from the real competition all while making poor excuses. This man deserves no respect as a boxer.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,771,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post
Pacquiao is pathetic. If he was so concerned about making money he would have taken all of the stupid drug testing requirements and made the fight with Maywhether. He was clearly afraid to fight Floyd and now he's showing he's too afraid to fight Mosley. He claims to be the best, yet he cherry picks weaker opponents, running away from the real competition all while making poor excuses. This man deserves no respect as a boxer.
Ok, I fixed it for you

Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,859,784 times
LOL @ coolrob

See, I split the blame 50/50 between Floyd and Manny. On Floyd's side, I don't see why the boxing commissions tests were not good enough for him.

OTOH, I don't buy Manny's excuse that a blood test too close to the fight will rob him of his strength. I mean c'mon, how much blood are they gonna take? I can't recall ever having to call in sick to work because I had some blood drawn.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Ok, I fixed it for you
Ha ha, nice response cool rob. I have to hand it to you that was pretty clever. However, that doesn't change the truth. Mayweather is a pathetic fraud.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM

14,319 posts, read 21,152,903 times
Why all the antagonism towards Floyd Mayweather? The man has been a master in the ring. Seems like the MMA crowd unfairly penalizes Floyd because he doesn't look like a redneck and pull a "Rocky" with each fight, going toe-to-toe for many bloody rounds before he and his opponent crash to the canvas simultaneously from haymakers thrown and landed at the same time. Mayweather is a great fighter, a gifted boxer, a champion, and a future HOFer.

There are a lot of details behind the scenes in these negotiations between fighters, and very few people know the particulars. It doesn't have to always be that Floyd is "ducking" the other fighter. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I say Floyd beats Mosley and Pacman.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
There are a lot of details behind the scenes in these negotiations between fighters, and very few people know the particulars. It doesn't have to always be that Floyd is "ducking" the other fighter. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I say Floyd beats Mosley and Pacman.
You're absolutely right, very few people know what's actually going on and it doesn't have to be that Floyd is always ducking fighters. However, it very well could be that he is. Its certainly looked that way many times.

I hope we get to see fights with Mosley and Pacman. If Floyd does end up in the ring with those guys and he comes out on top, more power to him.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larz View Post
Mayweather is pathetic. If he was so concerned about making money he would have dropped all of the stupid drug testing requirements and made the fight with Pacquiao. He was clearly afraid to fight Manny and now he's showing he's too afraid to fight Mosley. He claims to be the best, yet he cherry picks weaker opponents, running away from the real competition all while making poor excuses. This man deserves no respect as a boxer.
Well, it looks like I have to eat my words. According to espn.com the fight between Mosley and Mayweather is confirmed. I have to give Mayweather some respect now, I didn't think he'd actually go through with it. It sucks to admit it but I was wrong.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM

237 posts, read 1,069,339 times
It is all about the $$$$$. Based on what I have seen, Mayweather lives a pretty lavish lifestyle so he has to max out his earnings while he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing