U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,826,870 times

Advertisements

Here's a clip of Ali giving commentary to the first Foreman-Frazier fight. His comments about Frazier are pretty funny. Ali knew the intricacies of the game. Good to occasionally listen to him back in the day.

YouTube - Muhammad Ali Reviews Frazier-Foreman I w/ Howard Cosell

Last edited by LexusNexus; 03-23-2010 at 03:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:22 AM

Of course the other side of this coin is the ridicule that Frazier had to put up with publically because of Ali. Their first fight happened before I was a teenager and I was very entertained by Ali making fun of Frazier. As I got older though, I thought Ali's antics were uncalled for. Frazier was a proud man with a family, someone who had become champion. He deserved more respect from Ali.

Here, his comments about Frazier not backing up, coming in heavier, and so forth, were right on, but he could've phrased them in a way to show more respect for Frazier. Interesting too that he had no respect for Foreman's ability to box. Foreman would later try to perfect his boxing skills with perfectly timed jabs, and well-placed uppercuts, but at this stage of Foreman's young career, interesting to hear Ali's assessment of Foreman's development.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,795,314 times
Thanks for uploading this! Tried to rep you but i gotta spread it around

I don't think Ali was ridiculing Joe......I think he was a little miffed bcuz he went 15 rounds with him and Big George took Joe out so quickly. Also, remember that before the Foreman/Frazier fight, Cosell talked about George like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread....he gave Frazier no chance. Ali was correct: styles made the fight easy for George.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:35 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,118,134 times
Enjoyed that clip, thanks. Interesting to hear Ali sounding almost frustrated with Frazier's one dimensional style, but that was Joe, he knew one speed, one direction, forward with a lot of head movement, that great hook. And Foreman really did throw amateurish punches when he was young. He had so much power it usually worked. It wasn't really till his second career that Big George became a thinking fighter, maybe when he had to. And then there's Ali, THE thinking man's fighter, the chameleon, a slugger with Bonavena, a boxer supreme with Patterson, he did what he had to do, had the capabilities and the versatility to do whatever he had to do, whereas most either don't or can't.

For Ali the fight started well before he got into the ring, even before it was signed for; he had his next opponent in his site, was already figuring him out, how he would fight him, visualizing it, Ali was the ultimate positive thinker. And then came the psychological warfare, using the press as no other fighter ever has before or since, and these guys, these tough, tough guys started to question their ability to beat a man that seemed so certain of victory, but in a funny lighthearted way that made his case even more so ... The guy was a once in a century personality. Not just BS and fluff though, because as we saw in the Frazier fights and in the Foreman fight Ali was one tough, tough guy himself.

I agree with you Alexus; I was always an Ali guy more than a Frazier guy. Even politically, the lines were drawn, In those days, (I was born a couple years before Ali beat Liston I), Ali represented the new, the progressive, a breath of fresh air in a stale game, but I have since realized that as much as we were all entertained by his antics at the time, it was often at the expense of proud men like Joe Frazier. Again, this was all a part of Ali's game, but in retrospect I'm sure he "hurt" a lot of feelings. Even fighters have them. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't Frazier lend Ali quite a sum of money during his 3 year ban? I tried to youtube a clip I've seen on TV of Ali and Joe around the time of his return to the ring. I can picture them tooling around Philly in Joe's car, and you can see the true respect and regard they had for each other. I don't think Joe ever forgave Ali for those slights; that i both undrstandable and regrettable, as his the current state of Muhummad Ali himself.

We could have used that mouth, and that heart and that brain.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Thanks for uploading this! Tried to rep you but i gotta spread it around

I don't think Ali was ridiculing Joe......I think he was a little miffed bcuz he went 15 rounds with him and Big George took Joe out so quickly. Also, remember that before the Foreman/Frazier fight, Cosell talked about George like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread....he gave Frazier no chance. Ali was correct: styles made the fight easy for George.
So true. He was miffed, and Cosell was thoroughly impressed with Foreman.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Enjoyed that clip, thanks. Interesting to hear Ali sounding almost frustrated with Frazier's one dimensional style, but that was Joe, he knew one speed, one direction, forward with a lot of head movement, that great hook. And Foreman really did throw amateurish punches when he was young. He had so much power it usually worked. It wasn't really till his second career that Big George became a thinking fighter, maybe when he had to. And then there's Ali, THE thinking man's fighter, the chameleon, a slugger with Bonavena, a boxer supreme with Patterson, he did what he had to do, had the capabilities and the versatility to do whatever he had to do, whereas most either don't or can't.

For Ali the fight started well before he got into the ring, even before it was signed for; he had his next opponent in his site, was already figuring him out, how he would fight him, visualizing it, Ali was the ultimate positive thinker. And then came the psychological warfare, using the press as no other fighter ever has before or since, and these guys, these tough, tough guys started to question their ability to beat a man that seemed so certain of victory, but in a funny lighthearted way that made his case even more so ... The guy was a once in a century personality. Not just BS and fluff though, because as we saw in the Frazier fights and in the Foreman fight Ali was one tough, tough guy himself.

I agree with you Alexus; I was always an Ali guy more than a Frazier guy. Even politically, the lines were drawn, In those days, (I was born a couple years before Ali beat Liston I), Ali represented the new, the progressive, a breath of fresh air in a stale game, but I have since realized that as much as we were all entertained by his antics at the time, it was often at the expense of proud men like Joe Frazier. Again, this was all a part of Ali's game, but in retrospect I'm sure he "hurt" a lot of feelings. Even fighters have them. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't Frazier lend Ali quite a sum of money during his 3 year ban? I tried to youtube a clip I've seen on TV of Ali and Joe around the time of his return to the ring. I can picture them tooling around Philly in Joe's car, and you can see the true respect and regard they had for each other. I don't think Joe ever forgave Ali for those slights; that i both undrstandable and regrettable, as his the current state of Muhummad Ali himself.

We could have used that mouth, and that heart and that brain.
Good comments. It's great today that we get see these clips because back in the day they weren't shown. I agree, they did have respect for each other. Here is a clip of them sitting together reviewing the 1st fight. The second fight was in a few days I believe. Ali was more serious, even told Joe that he was going to have to look better than he did on that show to be able to beat him. Interesting exchanges.

YouTube - "Smokin" Joe Frazier Vs. Muhammad Ali (1) - (Wu15) - Rds.5-6-7 - 03-08-1971 - Aired January 26, 1974

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,441,418 times
Ali was hilarious, but he did say some hurtful things about Frazier. I think it was partly gamesmanship, though; he wanted to get into Frazier's head and mess with it. Those were great times in boxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing