U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM

121 posts, read 184,224 times

Advertisements

YouTube - me shadowboxing

Tell me what you think, what do I need to improve? What am I doing wrong?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,165,878 times
You look good, nice handspeed, nice short shots from both hands. But you need to learn how to use your body to the maximum. Punches are very little of the arms, more of the feet, legs, hips and shoulders. You're not turning your body with your shots. It's especially noticeable in your hook, it's all arm. Try to work on connecting your feet to the floor and bringing the strength up through your legs, then turn your hips and your shoulders to throw the shot with no arm strength for a while. Also I'd say your stance is too wide, and your feet are too aligned. Move your back foot up and over. Do you have access to a heavy bag? There's an old expression, "Practice like you play," because what training is about is making habits, so that when you're in the ring it's second nature, and you won't have to think about technique at all, and can concentrate on strategy. All and all I'd say you've got some good concepts. But the time to work on the basics is right now, before you make bad habits. Have fun!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM

10,536 posts, read 12,880,124 times
First of all, I give you credit for having the courage to post this and ask for feedback. I think Mr. Humble gave some good points below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
You look good, nice handspeed, nice short shots from both hands. But you need to learn how to use your body to the maximum. Punches are very little of the arms, more of the feet, legs, hips and shoulders. You're not turning your body with your shots. It's especially noticeable in your hook, it's all arm. Try to work on connecting your feet to the floor and bringing the strength up through your legs, then turn your hips and your shoulders to throw the shot with no arm strength for a while. Also I'd say your stance is too wide, and your feet are too aligned. Move your back foot up and over.
I think you need to loosen up with the hips. As Mr. Humble said, you're not turning on punches which doesn't allow for power in your shots. It's also having an impact on your slips etc. I certainly don't mean to squat to the floor or to lose balance, but some movement in the lower body will allow you to move more effectively to slip punches and also to be in position to throw a variety of shots.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM

9,413 posts, read 19,396,289 times
You look pretty good Fox, and Humble and RGGR have given you some sound suggestions.

I would add that you should get more extension on your jabs, snap them all the way out, step into them a little. Also, I noticed you attempted what looked like a "right hook" from a right handed stance, which looked awkward. You would only throw a left hook from that stance and a right hook is only used when in the southpaw stance. In essence, you threw what amounted to a roundhouse right with nothing behind it. Your left hooks need a little more pivot from the ball of your left foot as well to get some more power behind them.

Have you done any sparring yet? If not, get with a boxing gym in your local area and get registered as an amateur. You don't have to compete, but the only way to improve your boxing is to spar. Make sure you find a reputable gym with registered coaches, otherwise they may end up using you as cannon fodder for their fighters. Check back with us if you need any other tips. Looking good.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM

121 posts, read 184,224 times
Thanks for the advice. I will work on the stuff you said and I will maybe post up another vid in a while.

Coolhand86. I have done a little bit of sparring, I went to a boxing gym for just over a year but then I took a long break for also about a year but now I have started to get my motivation back I will go back to the boxing gym probably next week or the week after. Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM

10,536 posts, read 12,880,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulder999 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will work on the stuff you said and I will maybe post up another vid in a while.

Coolhand86. I have done a little bit of sparring, I went to a boxing gym for just over a year but then I took a long break for also about a year but now I have started to get my motivation back I will go back to the boxing gym probably next week or the week after. Thanks for the tips.
Keep it up! I'll look forward to seeing the next video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing