Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 21,440 times

Advertisements

and belgrade looks absolutely stunning, I can't help but think that when we drive up there that this may be where we end up... absolutely stunning... any input??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM

213 posts, read 696,948 times
Belgrade has become Bozeman's urban sprawl - it is really difficult to tell anymore where Bozeman ends and Belgrade begins, so if you're considering Belgrade, you're really considering the Bozeman suburbs. I also can't really think of anything in and around Belgrade that I would consider stunning. There are mountain views, but I think they are pretty ordinary compared to other parts of Montana - in my opinion Bozeman has better views.

I read in one of your previous posts about the population criteria you're looking for (10,000-40,000) and I think you might be limiting your options this way. For example, Bozeman would squeeze in at about the 40K size, but Missoula would be too big at over 60K. However, the two cities really don't feel that different in size - probably because Missoula's city limits are more spread out, while Bozeman's official boundaries are smaller but it's spilled into neighboring towns like Belgrade - it's more of a technical difference than an actual difference. And, another popular option are the smaller towns that are only a short distance to one of the larger cities where you could work and shop. Just some things to think about - I'm guessing when you get here and actually see things, you'll see that the population numbers may not be as important as they look on paper.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Default good points

this is very true.. i guess with visiting up there this summer I will realize which areas I will and wont like. I am pretty open too the idea of a larger town/city. at the moment we live in a gorgeous area near aspen, co with 9k people, and I was born and raised here... I went to college in a town of about 80 k, so I know that it is doable.. guess just trying to find the area that best suits myself, and my hsuband, he really wants to hit butte, but ive read kind of how you either love or hate butte... i really appreciate the input, i will respect the community where ever i go, and cannot wait for my future endeavors, however what i do know thus far is that SW MT is looking good

Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Why not look at Whitehall? Close to Butte, not far from Bozeman, Easy drive to Helena over the Whitetail, (at least during the summer). Cardwell is in the mountains near there. Boulder sits about half way between Helena and Butte, Right in the mountains, elk and deer at city limits. Three Forks is really nice if you like fishing as it is the confluence of the Jefferson, Madison and Gallatin rivers that flow together to form the Missouri.
I really like Elk Park just north of Butte. If you want REAL solitude, try Bernice... or Basin

If you do go to Butte, make sure to check out the Singing Stones and take a hammer with you, Unforgetable

Belgrade is a nice little town, especially if you are a little ways out of town. Take a drive south along Jackrabbit lane, or head over toward Churchill and Amsterdam. Gorgeous country, rich ground, good roads.

Try a little north of Bozeman toward Springhill. Right at the base of the Bridger Mountains.

You could also look at some of the small towns west of Butte too. Opportunity, Garrison, or Phillipsburg. They are very small towns, but nice country.

Go south to Twin Bridges or Dillon.

All of these would meet the criteria of under 10k population, (some under by quite a bit).

It is impossible to tell someone "You will just LOVE XXXXX" because what I like isn't necessarily what you want.

One thing about Southwest Montana, you are always close to fishing, Hunting, mountains, skiing and the great outdoors.

Plan to take your time and explore. Walk the downtowns, drive down the road less traveled, you may find a real treasure. Check out the local parks and look at the historical monuments. Spend some time in the local coffee shop and listen to the locals. (you may not find a mocalatachino with sprinkles, but the you will get refills of whatever is coming out of the drip pot ). You will find out what the local issues are, recent weather, probably the hay prices and crop futures, and most likely, some juicy local gossip

Pony and Harrison are other choices. In great areas, but I think Pony has about 15 or so permanent residents, and I am not sure Harrison is that big.

You will have an embarrasment of choices, and I don't envy you trying to make your choice, but I will say that no matter if you wake up looking at the Tobacco Roots, the Bridgers, The Spanish Peaks, the Gallatin Range, the Big Belts, Gravelys or the Crazy Mountains, you will have made a good choice.

Good Luck

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Default wOw!

you just totally made my day, those all sound wonderful. I guess half of t he fun is figuring out what works out for you, and where you just absolutely fall in love with somewhere, I'm sure wherever that may be we will be happy in the mighty state of MT. I have no doubt about that... I'm sure like all other places in the USA it has been over run with what we dont like... Poor roaring fork valley of Colorado, close to aspen, has been littered with trust fund babies from cali,tex,ariz, etc etc, and the millionairs are being booted out by the billionaires down valley, and the attitude is horrible. I live in an absolutely incredibly gorgeous place with mild temperatures...blue skies, and ridiculously priced, EVERYTHING... I was born and raised in this valley, and its time to spread my wings, along with my husband... Thanks for all of your help, you all are so wonderful, and kind... something that is unheard of anymore here.. what went from waving with all five fingers down to one... gotta license to fly that birdie?

THANKS!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 AM

233 posts, read 543,697 times
Great post.

Very insightful and forecoming input. We are down to Helena and Bozeman. We may end up in Bozeman because of college considerations. Helena met all our needs.

Our trip allowed us to rule out Missoula, Kalispell area and Great Falls.

The good, the bad, the ugly...all input is good as people's viewpoints and opinions are as vast as all Montana and all contribute to the richness of perspective.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Belgrade is more or less a bedroom community to Bozeman and as one person has said it is difficult to tell where it starts and Bozeman ends. I am not sure what the cost of living is now but when I was in college at MSU from 2000-2005 that seemed to be a middle class haven. You will see this confirmed numerous times that Montana has a high cost of living in many places and low wages on average so be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman