Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,389 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone new to the forum but, I just moved out to live with my uncle in bozeman. I came out here to get away from the grim and drugs in jersey. Was wondering if there are like certain parts or areas around here with ******* people or like really bad with drugs? I know drugs are everywhere just wondering if they have like super bad parts i should stay clear of. Any input would be nice, Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,161,084 times
If I were you, I'd just stay away from anyone using drugs. Sounds like there is a history to your story here, so please enjoy the area and find something positive to do with your time.

Lot's of people try to "get away" to Montana and end up bringing their problems here. Don't be "that guy". Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 AM

213 posts, read 695,079 times
One of the differences between a Montana city and the big back-east cities is that we don't have specific neighborhoods that are as dark and drug-laden. Sure, there are drugs in Bozeman, but you probably won't find a specific location where the drug dealers hang out in the open waiting for people to come to them. It's a lot more subtle here.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:44 AM

388 posts, read 846,096 times
I haven't really found a city in MT that had a super bad part you need to stay away from, besides maybe in Billings, but even then it wouldnt be near as bad as anywhere in jersey.

Like bongo said, there arent any specific neighborhoods. From my experiences, drugs in MT are more of a younger crowd social thing. You wont find too many people on the streets selling drugs or gansters shooting each other for drug money.

As long as you arent doing them you probably wont even know there are any in MT except for the grim drug advertisements.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM

10,296 posts, read 13,817,110 times
The neighbrhood in the northeast (North Rouse, North Wallace, etc) part of town kind of gave me a bit of a bad vibe but even then it is nothing compared to Jersey I'm sure. Meth is a problem in all of Montana (and I think most other states) but it shouldn't be too hard to stay away from it in Bozeman. Bozeman always seems more "cultured" to me as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,992,796 times
The northeast side you describe is just old. It's not bad, just because it's old.
It actually has some really cool old architecture there, and the residents are very supportive of their neighborhood, doing things like painting an intersection for the kids who walk to school. I lived on North Wallace when I was a college student. As I said, it's just an old part of town, which does not mean crime.

As others said, there really is no "bad", or "slum" or whatever you want to call it neighborhoods in Montana towns. There are poor parts, but that does not mean crime or drugs necessarily. There are probably more drugs in the upscale parts of some towns, where people actually have the money to buy them!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Speaking of the northeast side of Bozeman, because the property and rentals were cheaper, a lot of artists and teachers ended up living there.
It has taken on a quirky, fun and creative character, which, I think, gives it a local charm that you don't find in other parts of town.

For example.... in response to the Parade of Homes showing off all the McMansions built in the area, northeast siders started a "Parade of Sheds" at the same time of year as the Parade of Homes.

Here is an article that explains it from the Bozeman Chronicle:
Parade of Sheds: a donkey remembered - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: News

I own a home that is more "north central", a 1950's part of the north side, not the older neighborhood that is the northeast. The south side may have money, but the north side has heart (and a sense of humor).

Old 07-29-2011, 06:52 PM

Photo of the mural painted at the intersection of Davis and North Wallace:
Street SmART - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: News

Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,546,987 times
Yea, there are no 'bad' neighborhoods in Montana per se. Everywhere is safe and reasonably drug-free.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM

8,084 posts, read 15,103,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Photo of the mural painted at the intersection of Davis and North Wallace:
Street SmART - The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: News
Nice idea. Seems to me it's the kind of thing that could easily be designed to use donated scrap paint, too, thus keeping it out of the dump. As to maintenance, I expect it could become a regular thing for schoolkids, that annual outing to repaint your school's special intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman