Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,324 times

Advertisements

A few years ago we lived in the Billings/Laurel area, so we are familiar with Montana.

We would like to know as much as possible about the Bozeman area. We have three small children so we have some concerns.

How are the schools? How is the job market? What areas are the best and most affordable to live? Overall, how is Bozeman compared to Billings?

Any advice / suggestions.....

Thanks in Advance

RMF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:48 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Hi, also answered you in your other thread. Here is a thread to get started in, good luck.
//www.city-data.com/forum/monta...t-schools.html

Old 08-05-2011, 02:13 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMTNFever View Post
A few years ago we lived in the Billings/Laurel area, so we are familiar with Montana.

We would like to know as much as possible about the Bozeman area. We have three small children so we have some concerns.

How are the schools? How is the job market? What areas are the best and most affordable to live? Overall, how is Bozeman compared to Billings?

Any advice / suggestions.....

Thanks in Advance

RMF
Have lived in both places-Bozeman hands down.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 PM

233 posts, read 543,360 times
Just completed a move to Bozeman. We are emty-nesters, so can't speak of those things associated with kiddos.

Plenty of rentals in the 1100-1600 range. We found no "bad" neighborhoods. Public trans, bike paths, sidewalks, parks, dog-parks, access to shopping is very easy in ALL parts of the city proper. Great downtown environment. Box stores towrds the western end. All the "generic America" stores are to be found (lowes, home depot, bed bath and beyond) if those make you feel better.

The farmers market on a Tuesday evening was great as well as the "music on main" thursdays.

Love Bozeman...we are "home".

Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
Bozeman has great schools. The job market right now is not great, probably more jobs to be found in Billings, as it is much bigger than Bozeman.

I've worked a lot in Billings as an on-the-road sales rep, getting to know many kinds of businesses there, and I have family who live in Billings, as my maternal relatives are all from Musselshell county.

I chose to stay in Bozeman after getting a degree at MSU, and I've been here since 1970. I prefer a smaller town than Billings, and I like the cultural things that the Univeristy brings.

Bozeman has changed a lot from the small town it was in the past. A lot of people were drawn here after Chet Huntley built the ski resort at Big Sky. But, lately, after the economic downturn, you don't see as many people moving in.

I like the fact that the downtown Main Street old buildings have been preserved. I can walk to it from my house, go to a locally owned bookstore that is not a chain, go to many locally owned coffee shops and cafes that are not a chain, go to see live locally produced theater at the historic old Ellen.
The Ellen Theatre

There is a shady, tree enveloped trail through town that follows Bozeman creek called the Gallagator, created by many volunteers, including the Rotary. You wouldn't even know you are in the middle of town, it is so peaceful to walk through.
http://www.gvlt.org/wp-content/uploa...CollegeROW.jpg

Bozeman has a fantastic large, new library that is very well supported by the community.

I think because the town is so "walkable" (I can easily walk from the old north side to campus on the south side) and the traffic is routed more around and on the edges of town, that's why I like the old part of Bozeman. Billings doesn't have that feeling of being able to walk every where or that there is a downtown you can just stroll through and meet friends, sit on a bench and talk, and have a slow pace.

Hope this helps.

H.I.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:42 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
If you can find a place to live in a 1960's or older neighborhood, you will be closer to downtown in a more established family neighborhood. There are elementary schools for each neighborhood, two middle schools, and a high school. I don't know what ages you will need for schooling, or interests, but the schools here are very good. There is also a small, private middle school near the MSU campus. Headwaters Academy-An Independent Middle School in Bozeman, MT (http://www.headwatersacademy.org/homepage.htm - broken link)

Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM

233 posts, read 543,360 times
This school Heritage Christian School - Bozeman, Montana is out on the western side of town close to our neighborhood. Not sure of any of the details, but it is a nice place.

I went to a Christian school for a few grades as a kid and it was a very strong foundation in my life. Not sure of any of the details, but it is a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman