U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,490,633 times

Advertisements

Nice reply Happiness...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:17 AM

58 posts, read 120,953 times
Thanks so much for all those great links. I have been doing a fair bit of online research but you have given me links to a lot of resources that I had not found previously. Much appreciated.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks again for all your info. I ended up staying up late last night going through it all. We are now looking at planning a trip for 3 - 4 weeks late March, early April. We may even be able to fit in a few days skiing, snow permitting.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,883 times
Just thought I'd mention that I also own an apt at Falls Ck (in Alpine View Apartments) and like what I've seen of Bozeman so much that I'm in the process of buying a townhouse there - but only intend to live there from about May to Sept each year. The scenery is fantastic, the hiking is magnificent, only 90 mins. to Yellowstone, a few hours more to Tetons and up north is Glacier National Park. The town has a lovely feel to it with a (small) center that has a good selection of independent shops inc. bookshops, camping goods shops, (Starbucks I think is the only chain store in the main St) and its an easy place to ride around by bike.
So from an Australian's point of view it is fantastic place - let me know if you'd like more impressions as a (current) non resident.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:42 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,720,417 times
There has never been a Starbucks downtown in Bozeman. The coffee shops on Main Street downtown are locally owned... Leaf and Bean, Wild Joe's, The Rockford, Home Page, . There are other non-chain locally owned coffee shops around town, 'Lil Sherpa, Daily Coffee, Rocky Mountain Roasting, International.

Out at the shopping mall, there is a Barnes and Noble bookstore that I think has a Starbucks in it.

Most of the chain stores are in the shopping malls on the edges of town. I tend to avoid those areas.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hantix View Post
Just thought I'd mention that I also own an apt at Falls Ck (in Alpine View Apartments) and like what I've seen of Bozeman so much that I'm in the process of buying a townhouse there - but only intend to live there from about May to Sept each year. The scenery is fantastic, the hiking is magnificent, only 90 mins. to Yellowstone, a few hours more to Tetons and up north is Glacier National Park. The town has a lovely feel to it with a (small) center that has a good selection of independent shops inc. bookshops, camping goods shops, (Starbucks I think is the only chain store in the main St) and its an easy place to ride around by bike.
So from an Australian's point of view it is fantastic place - let me know if you'd like more impressions as a (current) non resident.
I know Alpine view well. I have lived at Falls for many seasons. We are in Geilo now. Maybe we have met. Falls is such a small community I'm sure we would at least know some of the same people.

How long have you spent at Bozeman? We are planning on going over for a month at the end of March. One of the most important considerations for us is whether it would be a good place for our son (now 14)to go through his mid to late teens. I have read pretty good things about the High School and I see that they have a freestyle program at Bridger Bowl which also sounds great.

From my research so far the town sounds like it has a lovely vibe and some real character. I also get the impression that it has a strong community feel which also appeals. We are very excited to visit next year with the view to move.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
There has never been a Starbucks downtown in Bozeman. The coffee shops on Main Street downtown are locally owned... Leaf and Bean, Wild Joe's, The Rockford, Home Page, . There are other non-chain locally owned coffee shops around town, 'Lil Sherpa, Daily Coffee, Rocky Mountain Roasting, International.

Out at the shopping mall, there is a Barnes and Noble bookstore that I think has a Starbucks in it.

Most of the chain stores are in the shopping malls on the edges of town. I tend to avoid those areas.
I'm with you on that Happiness. I can certainly do without the chains too. The downtown area looks lovely though.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,720,417 times
I think the people in Bozeman are very loyal to the locally owned small businesses, and even though there are strips around town now with the "big box" stores, a lot of people know that money spent in a locally owned shop will circulate around the local economy longer. If you go to Owenhouse hardware downtown, you may pay a little more than WalMart, but you get service and quality from an old family owned shop.

The downtown rent went sky high, but still people hung in there and kept the old central part alive. Two of the cafes I have gone to the most are Western Cafe, which is a good laborer's breakfast and lunch, in the same place for decades, since the '60's, I think, and Cateye Cafe, a quirky cafe decorated inside with cat and cateye glasses frames themes. Cateye makes a great beef stew with cornbread.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:51 AM

250 posts, read 370,036 times
I'm envious of people that can just move like that... How do they do it? Do you guys already have a job lined up?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:55 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,490,633 times
Just put your gear in the wagon and start the team.

No, you gotta get out here a few times first. We came over six different trips over four years in all seasons, and it was still a struggle. But worth it! And the economy was in a mess like it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman