U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM

58 posts, read 120,705 times

Advertisements

We currently live at Falls Creek Ski Resort in winter and Malua Bay in Summer. Both are in Australia. We are seriously considering relocating to Bozeman in the next 12 - 18 months and I am in the early research phase.

I have explored many websites and this forum. I have also spoken to some local realtors about house availability and prices but I would love to hear as much as possible from people who actually live there about life in general. We work from home via the Internet so employment isn't an issue. Both my husband and son are US citizens so moving there isn't a problem.

We are older parents of a 14 year old boy so education, amenities and activities for teenagers and young adults is of high priority. We all love to ski and also do outdoor summer things. Entertaining at home and dining out are also high on our list of things we love to do. We are very social beings and our son seems to fit in and make friends easily wherever we are.

The reason we are looking at Bozeman is that it is the size of town that appeals to us, has skiing, college and summer activities. Also, from all reports, it has character, vibe and fun cultural activities.

I hear a lot about how cold it is. I lived in Aspen for a few years, long ago. Does anyone know how it would compare? It is nowhere near as cold here in Oz but we have very high humidity so it often seems colder than it is.

My plan is to do as much research as possible online, then we plan on visiting for about a month next year before making our final decision. I was thinking of coming around April. The reason for this is that I would imagine it would be one of the worst times of the year with the ski season being over but still cold and slushy. I figure there's no point in coming for great skiing or a glorious summer only to find that five months of the year it is ghastly. I'd like some input on this logic as it is only a theory.

Any info would be most appreciated. I want to hear both the good and bad. Also any hints on where to find more information. I need to absorb as much as possible before we come for our visit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:19 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,715,286 times
If you know the climate of the Colorado Rockies, then you will be familiar with the Bozeman climate.

Montana State University is a large employer as well as an influence on the types of companies that are here (high tech, bio research, etc.) and brings in concerts and other cultural influences that towns this size don't normally have.

If your son is interested in skiing with a club that has trained Olympic skiers, check out Bridger Ski Foundation
bridgerskifoundation.org - HOME

There are the typical sports teams for US high schools, football, basketball, tennis, golf, cross country, etc.
Here is a link to the high school web site BHS Online

Here is the link for Bozeman youth soccer.
Bozeman Blitzz FC

There are a number of theater groups in Bozeman.
It is the home of Montana Shakespeare in the Parks, which tours Montana in the summer.
MONTANA SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARKS
The historic Ellen Theater in downtown Bozeman was saved and restored, and now hosts live performances of concerts and musicals.
The Ellen Theatre

For good organic groceries year round, there is the Community Food Co-op
Home | Community Food Co-op

A long time locally owned neighborhood grocery has become a specialty foods store
Joe's Parkway

April would be a good time to visit to experience the "endless winter, when will it ever stop snowing spring".

H.I.

Last edited by happiness is; 08-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Here is a live web cam high on the Montana State Campus, which you can check to see the varying weather:
Montana State University CatEye in the Big Sky

Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM

There is a double rainbow right now if you check that web cam... you can see it.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 PM

58 posts, read 120,705 times
Wow, can see it. The wonders of technology! Thanks so much for all the other links and info too.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 PM

When I saw the rainbow on the campus web cam, I stepped out into the street and took this photo above my neighborhood.
In August, we get a lot of rainbows here in the late afternoon and at sundown.
No photoshopping, it actually looked this brilliant.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Bozeman from Australia-rainbow.jpg  

Last edited by happiness is; 08-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 PM

Here are more links.

The Bozeman Public Library is a large, new, green building that has great support from the community. It offers more than just a library. There is also a locally owned small coffee shop inside the library building.
Bozeman Public Library

link for the Symphony
Concert Calendar - Bozeman Symphony (http://www.bozemansymphony.org/concert-season/concert-calendar/ - broken link)

Events and lectures at the Museum of the Rockies
Museum of the Rockies > Home > PARTICIPATE > All Events

Montana Outdoor Science School
Montana Outdoor Science School Welcomes You! | Montana Outdoor Science School

One Book One Bozeman, a community reading project
One Book-One Bozeman | Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Bozeman school district calendar
District Events Calendar - 30 Day Outlook

Hiking trails
Bozeman CVB :: Activities

Bozeman city trail system
Bozeman Montana Hiking Trails & Bike Paths - AllBozeman.com

Bozeman parks, including ice skating rinks created in parks in the winter
Bozeman Recreation and Parks

Bozeman swim center, located at the high school
City of Bozeman - Swim Center

Bridger Bowl ski area, Bozeman
Bridger Bowl - Montana Ski Resort

Bozeman pond, fishing in town (a big favorite for swimming dogs)
Anglerweb.com (http://www.anglerweb.com/fishingspots/FishingSpotDetails.aspx?locationid=3439 - broken link)

hope this helps
H.I.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:07 AM

If you like dancing, there is an enthusiastic Tango group, lessons in ballroom, salsa, swing, and several balls each year to go dancing with your partner.
Home (http://www.havefundancing.com/Have_Fun_Dancing/Home.html - broken link)

Bozeman Formal Dance Club

MSU SwingCats

Bozeman Folklore Society, Contra dancing and folk dancing
Bozeman Folklore Society

Irish music session is at 317 club, Sunday evenings.

H.I.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:29 AM

Link to Downtown Bozeman Assoc.
In the summer, there is music on the main street each week, a gallery art stroll. In winter, there is a Christmas stroll in December. There is downtown trick-or-treating at Halloween.. the link lists the events.
Downtown Bozeman, Montana | Life is Downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman