U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 04:07 PM

58 posts, read 120,735 times

Advertisements

When reading a lot of posts about Bozeman I have seen quite a few vague references to mosquitos but nothing specific.

Can any locals give me any information regarding this. We are thinking of moving there but I have an allergy to mozzie bites (the Australian ones anyway) which could be a problem if they are as prolific as some people say.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,715,971 times
I don't know where you read about Bozeman having a mosquito problem. They are not a major problem in town, and there is a mosquito abatement program to control the ones that are here.
The mosquitoes are more common in wet areas out in the valley along the rivers.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 AM

Thanks happiness is. You are always so quick with great responses. We are booked to get there mid March for a visit. We can't wait.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:56 AM

668 posts, read 2,009,182 times
Get some bug zappers, then you will have no problem

Back in '69, when they were 'inventing' that thing, we were the 'test case', (cause we had a lot of kids in my yard), and they put one there... Now, 'I' was mosquito bait, they 'loved me', and I was miserable in the Spring and Summer...but, when they put that thing in, for a month, I was in Heaven!!! Didnt know it was 'that', that was killing them....But, I have two in my yard now, and never worry about bites anymore. (Both half-acre, and I have a little yard, but, a forest in front of my house makes it a breeding zone!).

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,715,971 times
livetoski, don't expect to have No mosquitoes, just not a major problem with them in town. They seem to really go after me, but I am careful to not leave stagnant water in my yard for a breeding ground. Some years we have more than others, depending on rain, but I only have had a couple bites a summer in recent years. If you are going to be near water, or out gardening in the evening, just wear a good repel lotion or one of those OFF! clip-on fans on your belt.

I have found that the clip on OFF! fan has worked better than any lotion or spray, and you don't have to have chemicals on your skin.

http://www.off.com/

This is the info about metofluthrin, the ingredient in the Off! clip-on fan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metofluthrin

Hope that helps.

H.I.

Last edited by happiness is; 11-26-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Yes thanks happiness, that does help. The OFF thing looks good. I used to live in Perth where they were shocking and, like you, they love me.

woodworkingmenace, what is "that thing", sounds mysterious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman