Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 PM

19 posts, read 63,174 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to Bozeman for a job. Currently, my wife and I live in Logan, UT. We love it here. Our biggest concern is about the weather. We love the four seasons, gardening and outdoor recreation (especially in the summer). We don't want to be cooped up inside for 6-7 months out of the year with snow and REALLY cold temps. So, I have questions...When does the snow begin and how long does it last? Is there enough of a growing season to plant a garden and get tomatoes before a freeze? Does it get below zero often?

Also, we love the rural lifestyle (chickens, growing our own food, owning a bit of land, etc.). Is that lifestyle possible in Bozeman?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM

541 posts, read 1,730,068 times
Bozeman's climate is mild during summer when temperatures tend to be in the 60's and very cold during winter when temperatures tend to be in the 20's.

The warmest month of the year is July with an average maximum temperature of 81.80 degrees Fahrenheit, while the coldest month of the year is January with an average minimum temperature of 13.90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Temperature variations between night and day tend to be relatively big during summer with a difference that can reach 30 degrees Fahrenheit, and moderate during winter with an average difference of 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

The annual average precipitation at Bozeman is 19.29 Inches. Rainfall in is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. The wettest month of the year is May with an average rainfall of 3.22 Inches.

Snowfall often starts in November and ends in March. It varies by elevation. So you might be dry in the city itself, but in the hills and mountains around you, you can see the snow. It does not often hit zero, but it does get into the 20s and teens during the winter. It really can vary, and depending on the wind, it can make it feel colder.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:48 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,943 times
Every year the weather is highly variable. This winter has been the mildest on record with much less snowfall in town than normal and warmer temps.

I garden in Bozeman using clear plastic covering over tender plants when the temps may be too low at night in spring and fall. Position your garden where there can be some shelter from hail, like a hedge, fence, or wall on the west side.

Hail can take out your whole garden, but it is unpredictable, not hitting us every year, some years more destructive than others.

Yes, you can grow tomatoes. Bozeman is even more of a rural area than Logan, UT. I have two neighbors in my neighborhood in town who have their own backyard chickens. Go to google maps and compare Bozeman and Logan, and you can see how sparsely populated it is around Bozeman. The growing season will be shorter than Logan, UT, but with care you can still have a good vegetable garden, just don't expect watermelon.

Hope that helps.

H.I.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:53 PM

233 posts, read 543,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
but with care you can still have a good vegetable garden, just don't expect watermelon.

Hope that helps.

H.I.
Or peppers unless you start them in early February.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,943 times
I grow bell peppers in pots, as you can bring them inside the house to keep growing over the winter. Each year you can get larger crops by doing it that way, and the plants keep getting larger and stronger.

H.I.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblues View Post
I'm looking at moving to Bozeman for a job. Currently, my wife and I live in Logan, UT. We love it here. Our biggest concern is about the weather. We love the four seasons, gardening and outdoor recreation (especially in the summer). We don't want to be cooped up inside for 6-7 months out of the year with snow and REALLY cold temps. So, I have questions...When does the snow begin and how long does it last? Is there enough of a growing season to plant a garden and get tomatoes before a freeze? Does it get below zero often?

Also, we love the rural lifestyle (chickens, growing our own food, owning a bit of land, etc.). Is that lifestyle possible in Bozeman?

Thanks!
There is no shortage of outdoor activities in Bozeman year round. The snow usually starts in late October to early November and will last until April. However, Bozeman does not usually have severe winds which makes even very low temperatures tolerable. I don't think it would be a huge shocker from Logan, UT. As far as gardening, I think the Gallatin Valley has relatively fertile soil compared to much of Montana but it is nothing like the Midwestern USA. The rural lifestyle is a bit tougher to come by in Bozeman. The town has grown a tremendous amount in the last ten years and so land is becoming harder to find and very expensive to buy. If you really want to be rural but have the convenience of Bozeman you may also consider Manhatten, Three Forks, or Belgrade (although that is also fast-growing).

Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,918 times
Growing up in Bozeman we used to tell people Montana has 3 seasons. July, August, and Winter.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,386 times
Some good charts:
Freeze-free probabilities
Average daily snowfall
Temperatures

You might want to invert your color scheme if these are hard to read.

The WRCC is a great source for further info.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Growing up in Bozeman we used to tell people Montana has 3 seasons. July, August, and Winter.
There are only two; Winter and Road Construction.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

19 posts, read 89,441 times
See now, I call them Ice, Mud, and Dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman