U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,251 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I am going to be transferring to Montana State University and am looking for areas to live. I will be visiting for the first time in March and trying to map out our trip. I will be moving from the north Georgia area so it will be a big change. My fear is that Bozeman may be a bit fast paced for me so I'm curious about the surrounding towns, within a twenty minute commute to MSU. I have been doing a good bit of research and Three Forks, Belgrade, and Livingston(although the wind concerns me here) all seem relatively close to campus.

What are some areas between these cities and Bozeman? I would prefer to rent a small house, basement apartment, or a studio apartment on someone's property (have seen many of these on craigslist). My max rent budget would be about $700.

What I am looking for is a quiet, very safe community that is close to hiking and mountain biking trails(it seems as if they are everywhere, though!) I am very quiet and keep to myself so I would just like to find a place that is a good fit. Also, I am coming to MSU to study ceramics so any time I could cut from the hour and a half commute to Helena (Archie Bray foundation is there) would be great.

I am unsure of what other information would be helpful at the moment but please let me know if I need to add anything.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice. I am very nervous about the whole process but hope I can make Montana home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,358,466 times
Montana is very slow paced in spirit. Maybe not as deliberate in speech as rural Georgia but the mood is comparable. It is something that newcomers complain about.

The only speed aspect that shows up is with driving. Everyone drives fast on highways but that is more about the travel distances & whole king of the open road independent feeling prevalent here.

You will be fine anywhere. Do not worry too much. Since you will need a lot of time at ceramics lab, I would stick to renting close to MSU campus. You will get enough commuting time in going back & forth to Helena.

Archie Bray is the best. Good luck on your studies.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM

9,060 posts, read 11,159,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by korri138 View Post
Hey there,

I am going to be transferring to Montana State University and am looking for areas to live. I will be visiting for the first time in March and trying to map out our trip. I will be moving from the north Georgia area so it will be a big change. My fear is that Bozeman may be a bit fast paced for me so I'm curious about the surrounding towns, within a twenty minute commute to MSU. I have been doing a good bit of research and Three Forks, Belgrade, and Livingston(although the wind concerns me here) all seem relatively close to campus.

What are some areas between these cities and Bozeman? I would prefer to rent a small house, basement apartment, or a studio apartment on someone's property (have seen many of these on craigslist). My max rent budget would be about $700.

What I am looking for is a quiet, very safe community that is close to hiking and mountain biking trails(it seems as if they are everywhere, though!) I am very quiet and keep to myself so I would just like to find a place that is a good fit. Also, I am coming to MSU to study ceramics so any time I could cut from the hour and a half commute to Helena (Archie Bray foundation is there) would be great.

I am unsure of what other information would be helpful at the moment but please let me know if I need to add anything.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice. I am very nervous about the whole process but hope I can make Montana home.
Livingston is nice but the wind is a factor for sure. Belgrade might be a good alternative. You might also consider Manhattan. I haven't spent much time in Three Forks so don't much about that area. The rent that you are mentioning is pretty cheap and might be tough to find. When you mention the commute to Helena are you going to do that every day? That could get very pricey and it's a two lane road the majority of the route.

You may also consider graduate housing if you can. Bozeman area landlords are often very unfriendly toward college students.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,667,546 times
Rough. I suggest living in Bozeman and driving to Helena. It is about two hours, one way. Not sure how often you will be commuting. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Thank you for the quick replies, I will check into Manhattan as well. I will only be going to Helena about once a week so it is not a huge factor, just a consideration. I will be taking classes at MSU at least three days a week (not to mention studio time outside of class) so that commute is priority.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the quick replies, I will check into Manhattan as well. I will only be going to Helena about once a week so it is not a huge factor, just a consideration. I will be taking classes at MSU at least three days a week (not to mention studio time outside of class) so that commute is priority.
If you're only going to Helena once a week live on the campus in graduate housing if you can. You're not going to find anyplace very cheap in town and as I mentioned before, many of the landlords are not friendly to college students at all. If you do decide (or have to) rent off campus stay away from Management Associates.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 AM

Wyoeagle, I will check out housing on campus for sure. Originally, i was pretty dead set on not living on campus in hopes to avoid the college student mindset, party types, and the like but it probably will not be as bad as I expect considering I have Athens, Ga to compare it to (which is a nightmare and the reason i commute an hour there). As long as it is safe, quiet and allows me to focus on my studies I'll be easy to please. Thanks for the advice on Management Associates. I saw them online and noticed the bad reviews. Generally, would renting from an individual be a better bet in the area?

As far as mapping out my trip goes and in the case of living off campus, is there any must go to/ must avoid areas?

I really appreciate everyones help. So far, all the folks at MSU have been very nice and helpful as well which has eased my mind a bit.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 AM

18,696 posts, read 39,058,569 times
Renting from an individual is the only way to go, in my opinion. It is more personable. When you rent through a management organization, its like the robot phone instead of talking to a human. I have always went through the owner. Little things like improvements can be done by simply speaking to the owner and possibly doing them yourself and helping out the owner so they don't have to hire a handyman to do minor things. It is always good to form a relationship with the owner.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,971,713 times
I lived in Helena for 14 years leaving in 2008.
It's excellent that you will be engaging in work with the Archie Bray Foundation.
Since I lived less than three miles north of the Bray I would go there quite often and have given financially to them for many years.

Concerning commuting to Bozeman from Helena; Highwy 287 is really the only route you can take to Bozeman. I-15 would take you another hour depending on the weather to get to Bozeman.

Highway 287 cuts through rolling prairies of wheat with no protection from wind. In the winter time this can prove to be extreme hell.

I have been caught more than once north of Three Forks and south of Townsend in white out conditions. If you have never experienced the west in this regard it will be a brutal reality for you.

The price of rent in Bozeman is extremely high, especially when MSU is in session.

My suggestion to you is this; Rent a room from a family in Bozeman that reside in a single family home.
Most likely your rent will be much lower than an apartment and most of the time all utilities and internet access will be included in the room price.

You can then drive to Helena to the Bray when needed.

Don't be afraid, this will be an amazing time for you and Montana will leave an indelible imprint on your life.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Wyoeagle, I will check out housing on campus for sure. Originally, i was pretty dead set on not living on campus in hopes to avoid the college student mindset, party types, and the like but it probably will not be as bad as I expect considering I have Athens, Ga to compare it to (which is a nightmare and the reason i commute an hour there). As long as it is safe, quiet and allows me to focus on my studies I'll be easy to please. Thanks for the advice on Management Associates. I saw them online and noticed the bad reviews. Generally, would renting from an individual be a better bet in the area?

As far as mapping out my trip goes and in the case of living off campus, is there any must go to/ must avoid areas?

I really appreciate everyones help. So far, all the folks at MSU have been very nice and helpful as well which has eased my mind a bit.
Graduate housing is separate from the main part of campus. I had some friends who lived there and these were nice apartments that weren't attached to the dorms at all. There really isn't any part of Bozeman that is very unsafe and the campus actually is pretty quiet. If you can rent from an individual that is a better way to go. Management Associates is probably the worst, but many of the others have a very bad attitude toward college students. If you end up needing a part-time job do that on campus as well. Many of the businesses won't hire college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman