Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM

202 posts, read 352,598 times

Advertisements

I am considering going to college at MSU. Missoula is just too liberal for me. Is bozeman a bit more conservative? I don't like the coffee shop scene very much, I would rather there be the Western scene going, (Although I know the coffee shop scene comes with any college town) But is it super liberal? Do you know any colleges that are a bit more conservative? In the west, preferably!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Bozeman will not be a good fit for you. I think it is more liberal than Missoula and the coffee shop scene is alive and well.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Bozeman is far more conservative than Missoula, just look at the election maps.
That said, there is definately a segment of the population, especially around the campus that is standard college liberal.

However by traveling just a few miles you will find staunchly conservative areas surrounding Bozeman, and there are good areas within city limits as well you just have to look for them.

I was raised in Bozeman, still have a lot of friends there and I got my basic conservative education there and I doubt anyone would question my some would call "radical" conservative bent

If you get away from the college and the yuppie shops on main street and look for the working class neighborhoods, you will find what you seek.
The Ski areas at Bridger Bowl and Big Sky seem to attract the liberal element as well, but if you go to Churchhill, Amsterdam, Springhill, Manhattan, Toston or anywhere in the surrounding area you will find good solid hardworking people who share the view of reduced taxes, self reliance, making your own way in the world and basic family values that help define the conservative mindset.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM

19 posts, read 89,453 times
Have you considered WY? Laramie is a more "western" town, and in general seemed more conservative.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Bozeman is far more conservative than Missoula, just look at the election maps.
That said, there is definately a segment of the population, especially around the campus that is standard college liberal.

However by traveling just a few miles you will find staunchly conservative areas surrounding Bozeman, and there are good areas within city limits as well you just have to look for them.

I was raised in Bozeman, still have a lot of friends there and I got my basic conservative education there and I doubt anyone would question my some would call "radical" conservative bent

If you get away from the college and the yuppie shops on main street and look for the working class neighborhoods, you will find what you seek.
The Ski areas at Bridger Bowl and Big Sky seem to attract the liberal element as well, but if you go to Churchhill, Amsterdam, Springhill, Manhattan, Toston or anywhere in the surrounding area you will find good solid hardworking people who share the view of reduced taxes, self reliance, making your own way in the world and basic family values that help define the conservative mindset.
There is also a contingent of conservative minded professors at MSU. They aren't outspoken about it but they are there. Most of the ones I know are more fiscal conservative than social conservatives. There's also a number of very vocal left-wingers. You'll find that MSU is very pro-student in many areas. For example, during my college years, I had two friends come down with mono. One, at UM, was forced to attend classes and could not get a withdrawl slip signed by 2 professors. The other, at MSU, had professors sign the withdrawl slips immediately and prompty, but politely, told to go away as the professors didn't want to get sick.

The average Bozangeles citizen is a CA yuppie but the students are not plastic CA Kens and Barbies.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrldsastr View Post
Have you considered WY? Laramie is a more "western" town, and in general seemed more conservative.
Unfortunately, outside of the Movie Stars Jackson, Laramie is probably the most liberal town in Wyoming.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
One thing I should mention about going to college in Bozeman, the town itself is very anti-student. Few businesses will hire college students and landlords treat students very badly for the most part. You're better off staying on campus and working on campus.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM

103 posts, read 205,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
One thing I should mention about going to college in Bozeman, the town itself is very anti-student. Few businesses will hire college students and landlords treat students very badly for the most part. You're better off staying on campus and working on campus.
Wow! That wasn't my experience at all! Businesses routinely hire MSU students. I mean, geezzz, MSU is thy main industry in there. Bozeman /baaazmen/ is a great town, much more conservative than Missoula.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
We just moved to Bozeman about a month ago. The above quote I have not found to be true at all. We live in the newest part of town (on the west) and many of our neighbors are students (newer town homes/condos), and the local businesses seem to have a lot of students working for them as well. I have talked to quite a few students that work pretty much everywhere I have shopped/dined.

Also I think Bozeman has a good mix of liberal and conservative from what I have experienced so far.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,980 times
I actually think Bozeman has a nice balance of conservative and liberal, and everything else in between. I happen to work for a local Bozeman business and half of our staff is students. I also live on a predominately "student" street of condos and apartments and many of my neighbors work all over town.

If you're looking to go a little more conservative, or avoid liberal factions, maybe try Montana Tech in Butte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman