U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM

50 posts, read 84,117 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I've been reading other posts, looking for Bozeman info. I just wanted to get impressions from locals.

My wife, 2 year old baby, and I may be relocating to Bozeman from VA. I good job opportunity has come up and we're seriously considering it.

My wife is from OH...it gets fairly cold there. I did my masters work in Madison, WI, so I've been through long winters and -30 degree weather. I have lived most of my life in VA, though.

We love small towns and we love nature (we're hikers). Neither of us has ever been to MT.

Would you consider the winter similar to WI? I didn't have a problem with it at all when I was there. It started getting cold in October and we'd get snow into April and sometimes May. The summers were nice...not overly humid. If it's "warm" in Bozeman from May-September...that's a decent amount of nice weather.

Any info would be appreciated. If we move, we have an AWD SUV and a front wheel drive compact car.

We'd probably look to live slightly outside the city, if possible. Any suggestions for a less than 30 minute commute that's not over nasty areas during winter?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,768,301 times
If you know what winter in Wisconsin is like, you will have no problem with winter in Bozeman.

Look for a place around Belgrade for an easy winter commute into Bozeman during the winter.

Be aware that when your 2 year old grows and is in school, it is much easier to live in town for all their after school activities and to play with their friends. The towns here are small compared to what you are used to, so living in town, you still see the mountains, but you are near schools, doctors, groceries, work... it saves time, gas, and decreases the SPRAWL that actually ruins what many people move here for. Conserve the wide open spaces, and live in town.

Congratulations on the job and good luck with the move!

H.I.
Bozeman

Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM

Here is a PDF of a brochure that might be helpful.
It was produced to help inform newcomers about the need to preserve open spaces for wildlife habitat and sustain farming and ranching.
Welcome To The West, A guide for people moving to the Northern Rockies
http://www.westernsustainabilityexch...etothewest.pdf

Hope that helps.

H.I.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM

50 posts, read 84,117 times
Thanks for the comments. How is Livingston for a daily commute to Bozman? It looks like it's about a half hour. But is that over any mountains? We're looking at Belgrade homes now...

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,349,095 times
There is a pass between Livingston and Bozeman. It is Interstate 90 so it is well maintained with sanding trucks and snowplows. There are people who commute between. I would suggest always allowing plenty of extra time and frequently watching the weather forecast, if you do become a commuter.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Remember that in the winter, you are driving to and from work in the dark, sometimes on ice, in traffic, and sometimes in a snowstorm. The closer you can live to work and school, the safer.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM

297 posts, read 732,228 times
I wouldn't recommend commuting daily from Livingston to Bozeman. It's over a pass, and in the winter there's snow, blowing snow, ice, etc. Of course it's do-able, but I sure wouldn't want to do it! Good luck.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
CTC

666 posts, read 1,332,213 times
You will love Bozeman, and contrary to some bitter posters it is not just full of Californians and yuppies. Very friendly place to be with a nice Western flair but not as rough as say Butte We moved here 3 years ago from Colorado and are very happy here. DM me if you want any more info on Bozeman.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM

9,039 posts, read 11,138,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenortodd View Post
Hi all. I've been reading other posts, looking for Bozeman info. I just wanted to get impressions from locals.

My wife, 2 year old baby, and I may be relocating to Bozeman from VA. I good job opportunity has come up and we're seriously considering it.

My wife is from OH...it gets fairly cold there. I did my masters work in Madison, WI, so I've been through long winters and -30 degree weather. I have lived most of my life in VA, though.

We love small towns and we love nature (we're hikers). Neither of us has ever been to MT.

Would you consider the winter similar to WI? I didn't have a problem with it at all when I was there. It started getting cold in October and we'd get snow into April and sometimes May. The summers were nice...not overly humid. If it's "warm" in Bozeman from May-September...that's a decent amount of nice weather.

Any info would be appreciated. If we move, we have an AWD SUV and a front wheel drive compact car.

We'd probably look to live slightly outside the city, if possible. Any suggestions for a less than 30 minute commute that's not over nasty areas during winter?

Thanks.
You will do fine with the climate in Bozeman if you lived in Wisconsin. You will also be fine with the car you have. Be aware that cost of living is very high in Bozeman and if you are considering living outside of Bozeman and are willing to commute, Belgrade may be a good option as is Manhattan. These are small towns not too far away. Three Forks is a little further away, but is also a decent little town. Livingston is a nice town, however, the wind may take some getting used to. Livingston has a pretty nice arts scene and a pretty nice nightlife for a town that size. The Bozeman Pass can be rough in the winter but I have not seen it closed too many times. All of these towns are on Interstate 90 so it is well-maintained.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 13,235 times
I am originally from NC (Raleigh) and although I love the scenery around Bozeman - awesome outdoor access, the Bozeman Co-Op and area restaurants, Bozeman is overpriced and has a student population that is crude and people who are unwelcoming and unfriendly by the most part. I have been actively involved in the community and find many locals are cliquish in their circle of friends and only on the surface friendly. The winters are better than WI in the sense we have October-May winter type conditions, but the dry air actually makes many days feel much warmer than the humid cold in the south. You won't have a real fall and spring. Kind of a fallish interlude between summer and winter and a spring known as the mud season with snow, rain and intermediate 50-60 weather days only to go back to freezing until June. If the job is really great then perhaps, but as much as I love the scenery I am going to have to move. We live off Wilson in a very nice neighborhood and have had drunk students break into our house, pee on our porch and the noise at my friends apartment downtown is worse. This comes from someone who went to UNC-CH and lived near NC State, so I'm used to rowdy college kids, but the drinking culture here is beyond the pale. The benefit - Yellowstone, Gallatin Canyon, Paradise Valley, and countless over recreational opportunities at your doorstep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman