Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 PM

35 posts, read 92,148 times

Advertisements

I am not an activist, but seeing deer heads above fireplaces when I look at real estate listings is very troubling to me. Without getting into a debate over hunting, I'm just wondering how much hunting pervades the culture in Bozeman. Does almost everyone hunt?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:58 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
I would rather see the overpopulated deer used as food for people than letting them huddle together and freeze to death up in some canyon !
Many folks all through Montana either hunt, or don't mind hunters, or have friends, relatives or neighbors who hunt.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:13 PM

83 posts, read 316,635 times
Well hunting is a big part of the lifestyle here in Montana, So if you have problems with it maybe Montana isn't quite the place for you. Because you are not even here yet and you have already decided what you don't like about Montana. You want to have that Montana image to your friends in California or where ever you are from, but you already want to change the culture of what makes us great. You say you are not an activist yet you post here on this forum about it. It sounds like Seattle would be your better choice with their anti hunting rhetoric.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:27 PM

83 posts, read 316,635 times
And now that I have read your other posts about not liking Missoula and other towns, I am convinced you will not find what you are looking for in Montana. First of all we really don't have any upper scale neighborhoods with corner store and 4-5 generation people in the same houses. The only quaint neighborhood that I know of that met even half of your criteria was in Missoula. If have an absolutely skewered Idea of what Montana is. This is not Georgetown, or Annapolis and never will be. Stay where you are or try Seattle. Thats your best choice.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 PM

I am not trying to change anyone's culture -- I was very clear about the fact that I am not an activist. I simply don't like seeing heads of dead animals mounted on walls. I was wondering whether Montana has plenty of people on both sides of the issue, or whether I would be dramatically outnumbered. This is supposed to be a forum where a person can ask questions without getting criticized simply for asking the question.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 PM

24 posts, read 61,852 times
Default Not sure...

Like the posts above, i agree that it would be hard to make friends as an "anti-hunter" in Montana. That being said, I don't hunt nor does any of my family hunt, and I can definitely see both sides to the debate. I don't understand the wall mounting thing either... personally I think it's bad decorating taste, but hey, it's their house. Apart from that aspect, I know many people who because of the poor wages in Montana, pretty much depend upon wild game to stock their freezers for the winter. And many hunters who have used all their tags and have plenty of meat give to their neighbors. Once I received a pound of deer sausage as a tip back when I used to be a waitress. I have lived in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, and here and I really think that Montana does an excellent job balancing the needs of conservation with the needs of an expanding population. Getting back to the point, you would definitely be outnumbered, but there are pockets of people (in some of the larger towns mostly, like Bozeman or Missoula) who agree with you. And then there are people like me, who don't think anyone is completely wrong or right, but enjoy an elk roast every now and then.

Good luck to you, I am sorry if you were offended by earlier posts.... it is a bit of a sensitive subject for a lot of people. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:16 PM

24 posts, read 61,852 times
I also just read your posts about other towns in Montana.... Bozeman could possibly be what you are looking for, but it is also in the throes of change with more affluent people constantly moving in, driving real estate prices higher and pushing the workforce out. Eventually there will be hardly anyone left to work (peruse the Chronicle archive from this week for the article about the high turnover at the University because employees cannot afford to live there). If the market evens out eventually to correct this imbalance, you may find yourself surrounded by a lot of average (and native) Montanans who are finally able to afford a home. This of course brings with it the whole hunting issue, because I would guess the native Montanan hunting rate is at 90% or more. May I offer another suggestion? I worked for a summer near Ashland, Oregon, and it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. It's as close to the mountains and plenty of hiking, outdoor activities, etc. as Bozeman. They are the host of the The National Shakespeare Festival (I think that's what its called, you may want to look it up), and have plenty of bungalow/estate-like neighborhoods, a beautiful downtown area, sushi bars, small town farmer's markets mingled with multicultural boutiques.... it's a posh town but also very much a mountain town. It's also only a few hours drive (or less) from the pacific, the redwoods, several ski areas, and the pacific crest trail. Anyway, I'm not posting this to convince you NOT to move to Montana, I think diversity is just fine and I would be the first to welcome you.... but the town that came to mind as I read your other posts is Ashland.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Don't worry about your non-hunter status. We don't hunt because we don't really like the taste of the meat and I won't hunt just to kill something. If I'm not going to eat it I ain't killing it.
Actually I will go out with my hunting friends and hunt but with a camera which is just as fun in my book! As long as you don't run around telling people they shouldn't hunt no one will care trust me... In fact they may be happy you don't, less competition in the woods!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks very much, emmank and jimj. Good info on Montana, and I will definitely read up a bit more about Ashland, Oregon as well! I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,162 times
Hi-
I am not a hunter, by any means, but ALL the men in our family are, I have enjoyed many a feast on my father's table, eating the catch of the day! There are also many trophys in his house, and it does not bother me one bit-I always remember that they tasted de-lish when I look at them!!
If you are having trouble with this issue, I can tell you where NOT to go-Texas, Idaho & Montana, have a large hunting and fishing sub-culture, Oregon and Washington has a large number of hunters and fishermen as well. But there are those in Oregon and Washington that have left the frontier spirit (Seattle/Ashland) and don't hunt or fish.
I was raised in Washington,lived in Oregon and now live in Texas, and I would NEVER
live in a city where the spirit of frontier life is gone-(that frontier spirit-taking care of yourself and family, and knowing that you can do it yourself-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman