U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:19 AM

31 posts, read 97,643 times

Advertisements

In our search for our "perfect" town we came across Bozeman. Was curious about housing here, which areas are good and which are not so good. Are there any small towns on the outskirts that I should consider? Any help would be great, thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 12:39 PM

495 posts, read 406,038 times
Why would you want to move someplace that you know nothing about or have never been ?
I know that's why you are asking here, but getting some 'opinions' real I wouldn't think would be enough to make a big decision like moving.
There is alot of stuff being written about Bozeman, this, that how great it is to move to montana, consider though that is just all advertisment and no matter how it is disgusied, and another name for advertising is lying.
I don't think Bozeman is any better than alot of other towns around america in fact it's probably worse, Bozeman is one of those towns rocky mountain towns that has been invaded by all the 'beautifull' people. If that's what you like. Small towns around there, from what I understand is the spillover from Bozeman basically.
If nothing else take a trip there and see for yourself if that is a place you'd like to live. Breifly though its expensive and cold and a place for the beautiful people to indulge themselves with their 'quality of life' while chasing out the locals indirectly by driving up land prices.....such is live in america, except the change, as they all tell me.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:33 AM

21 posts, read 89,744 times
Default Bozeman is great

I moved to Bozeman 11yrs ago having known nothing about it. I was young and open to adventure. I stayed 11 years b/c I loved it, having just moved onto a new adventure this year. Some great smaller communities near Bozeman include: Gallatin Gateway, Churchill, Manhattan, and Ennis. All these places are gorgeuous, not too far from Bozeman, friendly, and a great investment. The major downfall to anywhere in Montana is the winters. They get pretty cold and last for a long time and even though Bozeman is in southern MT, it is one of the colder regions of the state. However, the winters are really sunny which makes more bareable. Good Luck.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,404,328 times
I also moved to a town I knew little about, and I love where I am living. Even bought a house there after being in town for a week.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:29 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,214,889 times
Having done what you're considering doing about 5 times now I would suggest you take serious thought about the jump before you do it. I would definately ask myself this one BIG question, considering you now live in a desert are you really prepared to go someplace that is 180 degrees different? You are talking about a place where COLD is the norm not the exception and if the forcast for this year is anywhere near right you'll be shoveling snow for most of it. The weather has driven more people out of here than anything else I think. If a "montana tan" is for you (pasty white most of the year) then c'mon up and check it out! In fact, come up around February so you can see what winter is all about....
Just something for you to ponder....

Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,630,259 times
If you like skiing, riding snow machines or ice fishing then the winter is easier to take. If you end up holing up for months on end then it helps to have a large library ! If you're a sedentary person it's really easy to get fat and out of shape during the winter.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 PM

83 posts, read 297,955 times
Well now that the naysayers have said their piece, I'll give my 2 cents. Bozeman is a town with a lot of young people in it because of the college there. Montana State Uni.
It has several ski resorts both north and south of in and the fastest growing community in Montan right next to it (Belgrade). It has beautiful Mountians and is very close to Yellowstone's North and West entrances. Land value's are skyrocketing put home ownership out of reach of most lower incomes. But if you have $20,000 down and can afford $850-1000 dollar a month payments it is a good city and the housing won't be a problem. I do most of my shopping there. Big box store's are all over. And the job availability for someone who is educated is good.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:35 PM

297 posts, read 717,504 times
Belgrade, about 10 miles west of Bozeman, has really boomed in the last few years with housing units -- houses, condos, and apartments. It's a nice area but getting a little crowded IMHO. The university neighborhood of Bozeman is really nice but houses are quite expensive there. I believe a lot of upscale condos have been and are being built in downtown Bozeman. Great town. If I couldn't live where I am now, Missoula, I'd live in Bozeman.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 PM

31 posts, read 97,643 times
Well I am a little floored by your responses, some more than others. I have asked this question on several others boards and have not been met with the hostility that I was met with here, again some more than others. I have been reading around and notice the c-word being used as insult, Californian, maybe that might explain some responses.
Where I am from hot is the norm and and I can't take it anymore, 120 in the summer is the average.
And in response to the question "Why would I want to move to a place that I know nothing about or have never been" My wife and I are educated people with great jobs, I'm a PA and she is a teacher, who have the opportunity to move where we want and purposely choose a town that we like and raise our family and not be tied down to a town because of our jobs. Change is good.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:21 PM

22,973 posts, read 24,214,889 times
Well Sir, I am truely sorry if my response floored you.
After growing up in CA and living all across the U.S. and then moving here I was attempting to let you know that things here are way different than probably anywhere you've ever lived and to be prepared for the weather shock that most everyone I know from elsewhere has gotten.
The weather not to mention low paying jobs have chewed up and spit out more than one person and in fact after one winter not too long ago you couldn't find a moving truck here to save your life because they were all gone!
It doesn't concern me in the least if you wish to come here, really it doesn't and if you really want to be here and you think you'll like it then c'mon enjoy!
There are people here who will not sugar coat this place and will tell you there are downsides to living here not just pretty mountains and trees and all is wonderful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman