U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 20,467 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to a small town in SW Montana after graduation. I love the Livingston and Bozeman area. I was wondering if someone could give me some information on rental costs, school systems, best place for a small town atmosphere, and anything else that is important. I have lived in North Dakota my whole life and looking for a little change. I love snow, mountains, and small towns. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,593,357 times
Bozeman is more city like than livingston and less windy. The last time I was in Livingston I had to chase my hat for a quarter mile !

Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 PM

83 posts, read 297,518 times
www.livingstonenterprise.com and the bozemandailchronicle.com Are your best choices to find info. Both of these fit the snow, mountians, theme. Livingston is smaller quieter and ony 20 minutes from Bozeman. So Just getting employment in one city will allow you to reside in the other.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 20,467 times
wind doesn't bother me, I grew up on the prairies on North Dakota

Old 12-03-2007, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 26,237 times
Neither Livingston nor Bozeman are considered "small towns" in Montana--- they are in the top ten for the largest towns in Montana... Bozeman is one of the most expensive places to live in Montana and both it and Livingston are among the fastest growing. Real estate within 50 miles of town reflects that; Livingston is cheaper, but still above the Montana average. If you want a small town check out Roundup, Harlowton, Columbus, Red Lodge (kind of turisty), Whitehall, Boulder, Ennis, Choteau or Lewistown.... Much more affordable and much more small town in the way Montana used to be.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,593,357 times
And don't forget the "mayberry" of Montana !
Conrad !

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM

11 posts, read 33,701 times
How would Gallitan Gateway fit in with this query? Can a studio apartment be rented there? Or a room? What cost are we looking at for these options there?

I am a 62 year old gentleman, who travels a lot and who has just entered retirement at about $1000.00 per month. I am looking for an affordable and quiet place to live.

Would there be any thing in Gallitan Gateway along these lines?

Respectfully, DAN 1

Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 26,237 times
Default Gallatin Gateway is still Bozeman

Gallatin Gateway is headquarters for Ted Turner's Flying D ranch-- 110,000 acres of privately held land that is his private playground... neighbors are frowned upon. The wealth of their most famous "sometimes resident" or absentee land baron, has caused all other real estate to get over priced. It is too small to have much of a rental market except for trailers... beautiful area, but long ago discovered--- I saw 5 acres available there last spring for only $750,000...... Again, if you are looking for affordable, try places over 50 miles from Bozeman... or at least Three Forks.

Good luck.... Dean

Old 12-27-2007, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 33,701 times
Thanks dean-in-Montana. Your information about Gallatin Gateway is important and I will follow your suggestion to go further from Bozeman.

I envision coming there in the Summers, (probably with my "Old Woman"), renting a humble room, (maybe even a wee cottage), and being able to write in, or near, a quiet peaceful little town that has a couple of cafes or fast food joints, a grocery store and a gas station. A library would be great too.

I think I could be comfortable paying around $350.00 per month. Access to a big old hot bath tub would make this dream complete. Eventually, I might try to get access to a manageable Horse on which to practice a little Horse Archery.

The reason I got interested in the Gallatin-Gateway area was that, when I began researching for information to register my little Nissan pick up at the MVD web sites, I found in the types of license plates section a plate that was dedicated to the "Open Lands Project". Then I emailed the manager of this organization and was informed of their good work in that area. Besides deciding to get one of their special Montana plates I thought it might be good to Summer reside near this project's epi-center, so as to contribute some time for this worthy cause.

I would have already come, (before the "real" cold weather set in), but my pick-up got hung up at the mechanic's shop for too long and I lost the final "slot" for getting there before the sub-zero temperatures and that big snow storm that came through there. Needless to say, I am not acclimated to that kind of cold and I am wise enough to realize it.

So, I will come to beautiful Montana in the late Spring or early Summer and see what I can develope for my remaining Summers there. Looks like New Mexico will be my Winter Headquarters and I will go there pretty soon now to get dug in there.

I may re-register my vehicle in Montana when I come...just so's I can get one of those "Open Lands Project" license plates.

I enjoy reading this forum. It has been very helpful and I feel like I am getting to know some of you folks a little. I'll be back.

Respectfully, DAN 1

Old 12-31-2007, 11:54 AM

22 posts, read 100,991 times
Default stay far from Gallatin county

Dan, if you want to live comfortably on your modest income, don't come anywhere near Gallatin County. You'd think that one could live cheap in MOntana, but not here. If you want to rent a cottage for $350/month, you will be out in the boondocks. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman