Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 PM

11 posts, read 24,146 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

I thank you in advance for any comments regarding tis post. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

So, after a lot of internet research I've come to the conclusion that Bozeman is the place for. Before I ask your opinions, let me give you some background:

Married couple in our 40's with a 5yr old boy and 1 yr old girl. We were both raised in and around New York City. Have also lived in Mexico and are comfortable in a wide range of surroundings. Looking now for quality of life for our children and us.

Dad works in video production business and can freelance. Mom will run the household. She likes organic food, vegetarian restaurants, yoga classes, parks to take the kids, and other Mom's to hang out with. Politics seem to be fine for us in Montana. We get along with a wide range of people. Both like the outdoors and want to get back into skiing.

Anyway, looks like having a house in downtown Bozeman will allow access to schools and kids programs, plus things like basic shopping, yoga, restaurants etc and be a primarily walkable day-to-day lifestyle. We'd then look into getting a cabin or some land as a country getaway nearby.

So, does that sound like a good match with Bozeman? Best neighborhoods to look at? Or are there other MT cities we should consider?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times
This might be more rural than you want but my favorite elementary school in that area is at Gallatin Gateway. You need live within the district to attend. It is a marvelous place. Here is their website:
Gallatin Gateway School - Southwest Montana

Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,759 times
It sounds like a good fit to me.
For more affordable homes, look on the North side near the elementary schools of Hawthorne or Whittier.

Best of luck.

H.I.
Bozeman

Old 05-25-2013, 06:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,550 times
I miss Bozeman. I grew up there. I still have family there. It truly is one of the best towns to raise kids. Although life and work have me far away in NJ I will always call Bozeman home.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 24,146 times
We can't wait to get there and check it out. Going to rent at first and take it slow. Get through a Winter and make sure we're up to the challenge. Thanks for all your input!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 12,297 times
Bozeman sounds like a good fit. For a walkable lifestyle close to restaurants, parks, yoga, etc. you'll want to stay close to Downtown Main St. The neighborhoods north are a bit more affordable; the neighborhoods to the south have some lovely big, older homes.

Winters ARE long here. But if you're into skiing, skating, and sledding then it helps pass the time.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:26 AM

186 posts, read 345,514 times
Hey Mosco, you are older than I am, but we have a very similar background. You will love it here. Make the move in early spring, so you get a taste of the tail end of winter, then have the summer to get ready for next winter. If you survive three winters, I think you can hack it. I am at least 10 years younger than you though! But you might also end up being my neighbor, so welcome to Bozeman!

I have a 2 year old and we are trying for another. Bozeman is freaking fantastic for families. We can walk everywhere, including to MSU, M.O.R., downtown, library, Peet's Hill, Bogert Park, and Longfellow Elementary. There are a lot of drunk freshman around though F.Y.I. I am a grad student, and am so sick of these kids already... It was cool when I was younger, but I am not young anymore, and I get very little sleep with a little one now. If you have the money, the best neighborhood is just south of Main, between Peet's Hill and Willson Ave. This is just my opinion of course.

Also, there are some amazing community events, and groups for families. I can't begin to list everything there is to do for families, and I never post on here, so just hit up some local coffee shops and scan their entryway walls for event flyers. There is also the outdoors... I've been exploring this area for 12 years now, and still feel like I'm just scratching the surface. A good summer for us is around 300 miles of hiking, 10-15 peaks, and weeks of camping. It's better than people can describe to you, and that's the secret here. You have to get out and enjoy the mountains and rivers. I wish I was raised here... It would have been an epic childhood, and I look at my daughter now and tear up when I think about how she can experience this setting while growing up. I know many good families here, raising a generation of kids who will love and appreciate nature. That is what we value here the most, and if are on the same wavelength, you'll fit right in.

-Your neighbor Mike.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,299 times
Wow....has anyone ever rented any of the forest cabins in Gallatin? I reserved one in August and are there any pointers?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
We have rented several different ones over the years. Some are better than others. Some have pots, pans, dishes available and some are bare bones. Recently, the forest service quit supplying items at the cabins, but many will have things left from previous campers. Our theory was always to leave something useful for the next person.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:45 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
We have rented several different ones over the years. Some are better than others. Some have pots, pans, dishes available and some are bare bones. Recently, the forest service quit supplying items at the cabins, but many will have things left from previous campers. Our theory was always to leave something useful for the next person.
Bring a spray bottle of a 10 percent bleach solution to clean surfaces. Many of these cabins have mice (just the way it is) You will want to spray down any surfaces, and any droppings BEFORE you sweep them up. Hanta Virus is transferred via tiny dried particles. Not to make you paranoid-but a good idea-at least bring some Clorox wipes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman