Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 10,832 times

Advertisements

My wife and 2 young children are tossing around the idea of relocation from NC to MT. She is a Respiratory Therapist and has found job postings in Billings. I am a firefighter and paramedic by trade, but also a handyman, carpenter, or just about anything involving manual labor. We both have Associate degrees and she is working on her BS. Just a few questions:
1. I'm having trouble finding the average pay for respiratory therapists around Billings.
2. Real estate listings in that area are not too appealing. Do local people sometimes sell "by owner"? Or should I soley rely on MLS listings? We need 3br 2ba on at least 10 acres with trees. The answer to question1 will be the deciding factor on price range for housing.
3. My kids are 2 and 7, how are the schools in general?
4. Would the drive from Laurel or Columbus be too much for commute to Billings?

I would appreciate all feedback! By the way, we have vacated to Montana several times and we absolutely love it! We love cold weather and snow, and not afraid of driving in it. We love the outdoors and hunting and fishing are my passion! Thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:14 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,205,051 times
At 10 acres with trees? I'm assuming you have a large sack of money or a trust fund to buy that with. Most raw acreage in the surrounding area in Billings will run at least 10k to 15k an acre if you want power, water rights (not municipal water), and easy access from a maintained road. The house/cabin will add on top of that. As far as MLS, most places will be in the MLS. Acreages have a large enough sums attached to them that people aren't going to parcel off 10 acres for $500. BTW, calling your place a "cabin" in Montana adds another 20% according to the Realtors.

Have you tried finding salaries on Payscale.com or salary.com? I don't think that respiratory therapists would make any less in Billings than in other areas of the country. Medical positions in Billings should pay similar to other areas of the country that do NOT have a medical school nearby. For example, Boulder and Fort Collins have lower pay than Billings due to their proximity to the mountains and a large number of students who want to stay in the area.

The schools in Montana are pretty decent. There's not really a reason to send your kids to private school unless you want religious education for them.

There are many people who commute to Billings from Laurel however, the medical corridor is on the just north of downtown so it adds 10-15 minutes to the commute. The commute from Columbus is about 30 minutes longer each way. It's too much for my taste but you'll lose about 1 hour each way commuting.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,036,033 times
1. Around $35-$40K around Billings.
2. Most is listed with MLS. What are you looking to spend? The cost of living out here is much more than NC
3. Decent schools.
4. Depends on what you are used to. It's doable.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 AM

586 posts, read 1,966,299 times
Hi Chris!

I am in Franklin now, but I was living in Brevard and working in Mills River last year. I'll be moving to Montana first week of October. I will also be in the Billings area, but up towards Roundup.

Keep in touch and I can be a "Scout" for you if you decide to move on out!

You can always find me here, or hymnsinger@gmail.com.

Tracey

Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 AM

Flyingcat2k:Thanks for your input! I have tried salary.com but it is far from accurate for WNC, so I doubt its accurate for MT. Thanks again!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 PM

How about registered nurses? Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what they make?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:15 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,036,033 times
$50k-$60K for an RN at hospitals. Little bit more if she is in the ER. I hear they is a good amount of need for medical and emergency workers.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 PM

64 posts, read 76,891 times
check out Sheridan Wyoming for therapist jobs. you will thank me later, great hospital, pay is much higher. better living conditions, jobs for hubby. frust me look into it/

Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 AM

Thanks a lot!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Can anyone tell me about seasonal allergies in thegallitan valley? They are terrible here and my 8yo is having a hard time with allergies right now. Any advise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman