U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 07:07 AM

62 posts, read 139,536 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My spouse is eying a possible job opportunity in Bozeman, and I'm gathering information. The biggest issue we would have to solve is probably housing. I see a ton of threads on here about 20-somethings or students or retirees looking for apartments. When I look on Craigslist, I see mostly either student housing, or upscale vacation rentals. We have several school-aged children (but no pets). Obviously we are not looking to rent a room in a house with a bunch of random students, nor are we looking for a vacation rental. Where would you recommend searching for plain vanilla family rental housing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,911,753 times
You may want to call some local vacation home landlords and see if they want a long term tenant. Sometimes, they are willing to do that if they think their property will be slow or they no longer want the hassle of cleaning the place every week.

It would help to know your budget and bed/bath requirements. If it is under 1k a month, Bozeman won't work for you. You'll need to look at Three Forks to get anything over a 3 bd for a house.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Not sure of the budget yet, but definitely we'd need at least a 3 bedroom place. We're in 1200 sf right now and it is pretty cramped, so we'd be looking for something a little bigger.

What's the drive from Three Forks like?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:54 AM

It is a straight shot on the interstate between the two cities. Its not bad except if there is blowing snow in the winter, which isn't too often. The road can ice up. If you aren't moving in from a wintery climate, it could cause an issue.

As far as housing goes, how many Bd/Bth do you need? If you get larger than a 4/2, rental homes can be hard to come by. Also, the rent goes higher. Gallatin County is not cheap so use the housing costs in your negotiation with your employer. If salary isn't negotiable (like MSU or other state jobs), I'd recommend bringing it up to see if they have a solution for lower income employees.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:38 AM

Good point about asking for housing suggestions (I'm guessing the salary is not very negotiable). We are used to wind and cold, so no problems with the idea of winter. We can do a 3/2 (currently living in a tiny place with one bathroom, and er, well, we are *alive,* but I would rather NEVER have only one bathroom again!). What's more important is that the rooms are big enough for kids to share. Anything smaller than 1200 sf would be physically impossible, I think.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 PM

Don't ever guess the salary is not negotiable. You'll wind up selling yourself short every time.

I would recommend looking at Three Forks or a smaller town NORTH of I-90. South of I-90 is in the mountains and expensive.

I don't know if the prices in Livingston have kept up with Bozeman but that is another location. Livingston tends to be a little cheaper than Bozeman since you'll have to transverse Bozeman pass every day. Plenty of people do it and usually it isn't a big deal in winter. I know there are larger homes there. Zillow is sometimes out of date but it looks like older homes that aren't updated are still somewhat affordable if you make 100k+. That's better than Bozeman.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,114 times
I've been told to try and buy because you can get better deals than renting. We lucked out and got a 3 bedroom for $900 a month. It only has one bathroom though but it has a garage. 3 bedrooms for under 1k really are hard to come by. So if you can afford to look into buying then maybe you should consider that. I have the name of a good realtor in Bozeman. PM me if you want her number. She's a friend of my aunt's and you can tell her I recommended her.

Like Flyingcat said, the towns she mentioned can go for cheaper.. you just need to decide if you want the commute. We couldn't handle it but you might not mind it.

Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman