U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 AM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi
1 posts, read 1,898 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Regarding wildlife....Having spent some time in Yellowstone National Park for several summers since 1998 and in the surrounding larger ecosystem, the most important thing I would have to say is to be aware of your surroundings. Generally if you make noise, travel in groups, and carry bear spray...then you should be good. Stay away from areas where bears are feeding or have their young. If in doubt, there are so many places that could be alternatives. I fish quite a bit out there. Make sure your bear spray is accessible. Having it tucked in your backpack is not a good place. I keep mine on my belt. If I am going through an area where I have seen bear sign or it just looks prime...I carry it with the safety off (just be careful not to fire it on accident...also don't leave it in a hot car). Bear spray works. The absolute thing that you do not want to do is surprise a bear. The next worst thing is to have not have a way to deter that bear. edit: I will add that while I want no part of a grizzly encounter, one of the great things about Montana is that it still has places that are wild enough to support grizzlies. It has been my experience that those bears are found in the places(in the lower 48) with the cleanest water and air. So, them being there is a good sign that those places are still wild.

Having been through Bozeman/Belgrade quite a bit, I have found the people there to be similar to most cities. I have been all over the world, and I find that cities have folks that are cool and some who aren't. Where you live is often what you make of it. If you make an effort, in most cases things go well. Any move always involves a bit of culture shock as things are just different wherever you go. It takes some getting used to. I like Bozeman, and would surmise that it is a nice community to live and raise a family. It has excellent schools BTW.

Lastly, I would not limit your search to just Bozeman. One thing that is something to consider is that home prices are definitely higher there when compared to other cities in Montana. Now, I would live there (if I had an opportunity) in a heartbeat, but just make sure your budget allows for the prices that come with that beautiful view. But that is true with most moves to any new city. Helena, Kalispell, Missoula, and Billings are all within reasonable drives of decent mountains and skiing. Billings is more in the Plains, but is within an hour's drive of the Beartooths which includes Red Lodge(skiing) and is just a couple of hours from YNP. Billings is also a couple of hours from the Bighorns which so far do not have grizzlies. Housing prices are a bit more reasonable there, but obviously not w the view that Bozeman offers. Often in Montana, you are going to have to spend a few hours in the car in order to arrive at a great place. It is a big state w lots of empty space in between cities - which I like.

Also..."life is life" no matter where you go. I think many folks move to escape their past way of life only to find the same problems waiting for them when they arrive at their new destination. What I like about Montana is the opportunity to be outside in one of the planet's most beautiful locations. One of the great things about summer(crowds are a blessing and a curse) is the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. The area really is a hub for people traveling to Glacier or YNP or many of the other great places to see and experience in the region. Sure there are unappealing parts to many regions, and I always appreciate the posters who "just tell it like it is"...better to find out on a forum than once you get there.

Good luck w your move. I consider those who live in Montana to be very fortunate.

Last edited by wintergrizzly; 10-01-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2018, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
41 posts, read 46,462 times
Reputation: 35
My flight is booked! I'm heading out for 8 days in late March. I'm very, very excited.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Earth
1,467 posts, read 3,823,013 times
Reputation: 906
Gallatin & Flathead County are booming ... best way to ruin places like these is to keep adding more people. I posted this on another thread ... it's worth referencing as you explore options. https://headwaterseconomics.org/econ...-construction/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2018, 12:59 PM
 
5,894 posts, read 5,477,064 times
Reputation: 3775
Development concerns are appropriate, important. But the 1.3 million acres "developed" in last 26 years also only represents 1.4% of Montana's total acreage. An average of 50,000 acres per year is noticeable, impactful but development has changed Montana less than most states.


The development is concentrated and of higher impact in a few places though. Even in Montana most people live in cities, the biggest ones available and continuously make them bigger. Happening all around the world for most of human history. It probably isn't going to stop anytime soon, though it may have slowed a bit or will soon. Develop carefully or at least more carefully than has been done before. That would be my hope.


I don't consider land with humans on it completely ruined. Not completely or not all of it. It still gets shared to some degree. "Not man apart" from and above nature. But man as a part of nature too.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-03-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2018, 08:38 AM
 
160 posts, read 258,190 times
Reputation: 185
I went to Bozeman for the first time a few weeks ago (the only dealership in the state for the make of car I drive is located there). I was honestly underwhelmed by the views. Nice but I expected more.

OP, my best advice to you is feet on the ground. You’ll know you’re in the right place when you see it.

It took me 20~ years before I saw it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2019, 02:53 PM
 
347 posts, read 131,230 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoStater View Post
Greetings!

So, ideally, I'd want something like:
  1. Close proximity to great skiing
  2. Plenty of open space
  3. Active social scene (good and plentiful dining options, dancing, concerts, etc.)
  4. Decent-sized city (20,000-ish or more)
  5. Friendly, down-to-Earth people
  6. Fresh, clean air
  7. Lower summer and winter humidity than the East coast
  8. Low crime rate
  9. A reasonable amount of sunshine
  10. Access to summer watersports a definite plus

I'm also considering:
  1. Coeur d'Alene, ID
  2. Idaho Falls/Rexburg, ID
  3. Sandpoint, ID
  4. Kalispell/Whitefish, MT
  5. Bend, Oregon
  6. Park City, UT (SLC's insane crime rate and air pollution rule it out)
  7. Steamboat Springs, CO
  8. Durango, CO
  9. Burlington/Stowe, VT
Are there others on that list (or not on that list) that I should definitely also consider?

Thanks in advance!
Hood River should be on your list as well. It's a bit smaller than your criteria but is only an hour from Portland and otherwise ticks all those boxes. Spokane/Coeur d'Alene is another option if you're looking for a bigger job market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Phila
518 posts, read 931,916 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoStater View Post
My flight is booked! I'm heading out for 8 days in late March. I'm very, very excited.
So how did it go? just now reading this thread...I see you still have SC as home on profile.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 05:36 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,007 posts, read 2,102,929 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintergrizzly View Post
Regarding wildlife....Having spent some time in Yellowstone National Park for several summers since 1998 and in the surrounding larger ecosystem, the most important thing I would have to say is to be aware of your surroundings. Generally if you make noise, travel in groups, and carry bear spray...then you should be good. Stay away from areas where bears are feeding or have their young. If in doubt, there are so many places that could be alternatives. I fish quite a bit out there. Make sure your bear spray is accessible. Having it tucked in your backpack is not a good place. I keep mine on my belt. If I am going through an area where I have seen bear sign or it just looks prime...I carry it with the safety off (just be careful not to fire it on accident...also don't leave it in a hot car). Bear spray works. The absolute thing that you do not want to do is surprise a bear. The next worst thing is to have not have a way to deter that bear. edit: I will add that while I want no part of a grizzly encounter, one of the great things about Montana is that it still has places that are wild enough to support grizzlies. It has been my experience that those bears are found in the places(in the lower 48) with the cleanest water and air. So, them being there is a good sign that those places are still wild.

Having been through Bozeman/Belgrade quite a bit, I have found the people there to be similar to most cities. I have been all over the world, and I find that cities have folks that are cool and some who aren't. Where you live is often what you make of it. If you make an effort, in most cases things go well. Any move always involves a bit of culture shock as things are just different wherever you go. It takes some getting used to. I like Bozeman, and would surmise that it is a nice community to live and raise a family. It has excellent schools BTW.

Lastly, I would not limit your search to just Bozeman. One thing that is something to consider is that home prices are definitely higher there when compared to other cities in Montana. Now, I would live there (if I had an opportunity) in a heartbeat, but just make sure your budget allows for the prices that come with that beautiful view. But that is true with most moves to any new city. Helena, Kalispell, Missoula, and Billings are all within reasonable drives of decent mountains and skiing. Billings is more in the Plains, but is within an hour's drive of the Beartooths which includes Red Lodge(skiing) and is just a couple of hours from YNP. Billings is also a couple of hours from the Bighorns which so far do not have grizzlies. Housing prices are a bit more reasonable there, but obviously not w the view that Bozeman offers. Often in Montana, you are going to have to spend a few hours in the car in order to arrive at a great place. It is a big state w lots of empty space in between cities - which I like.

Also..."life is life" no matter where you go. I think many folks move to escape their past way of life only to find the same problems waiting for them when they arrive at their new destination. What I like about Montana is the opportunity to be outside in one of the planet's most beautiful locations. One of the great things about summer(crowds are a blessing and a curse) is the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. The area really is a hub for people traveling to Glacier or YNP or many of the other great places to see and experience in the region. Sure there are unappealing parts to many regions, and I always appreciate the posters who "just tell it like it is"...better to find out on a forum than once you get there.

Good luck w your move. I consider those who live in Montana to be very fortunate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,007 posts, read 2,102,929 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Development concerns are appropriate, important. But the 1.3 million acres "developed" in last 26 years also only represents 1.4% of Montana's total acreage. An average of 50,000 acres per year is noticeable, impactful but development has changed Montana less than most states.


The development is concentrated and of higher impact in a few places though. Even in Montana most people live in cities, the biggest ones available and continuously make them bigger. Happening all around the world for most of human history. It probably isn't going to stop anytime soon, though it may have slowed a bit or will soon. Develop carefully or at least more carefully than has been done before. That would be my hope.


I don't consider land with humans on it completely ruined. Not completely or not all of it. It still gets shared to some degree. "Not man apart" from and above nature. But man as a part of nature too.
I see that Kalispell is full of subdivisions where the homes are too close to each other.
These places at least provide for sewer, gas, water/utilities through the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 1,969,591 times
Reputation: 1313
If you're looking for lots of sun, take CdA and Sandpoint off of your list. I think Bend might be a decent fit for you, actually. It's a little pricey and Oregon has a high income tax, but it has sun and snow.

Some of the areas around Portland or anywhere in Oregon closer to the coast might be worth a look. I know you're looking for sun, and Portland does have the rain reputation but that's during the winter. It doesn't really snow much, it just rains from Thanksgiving through Mothers Day. It's not heavy rain like you see back east, when I lived about an hour south of Portland I rode my bicycle all year. Indeed, the winter cool was easier on me than riding home in the heat. From June through November, it barely rains at all. Again, plenty of smaller areas within an hour of Portland.

Depending on how important the skiing and watersports are, some other places you might consider...
Grand Junction, CO
Prescott AZ
CO Springs
Missoula, MT
Medford, OR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top