Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,055 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I live in Virginia at the moment. My wife and I have always wanted to move out west. Montana or Colorado. I've always loved Montana. My concern is what is the job situation? I'm a 29 yr old Computer Systems Engineer/ Photojournalist and my wife wants to open a Bakery. We were checking out Bozeman, Livingston, and Helena.

Where are some really good places to live in Montana that have....

1. Close to ski resorts
2. Somewhat good economy
3. Hiring
4. Charm
5. Good community for kids
6. Outdoor driven community

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstern View Post
Hey,

I live in Virginia at the moment. My wife and I have always wanted to move out west. Montana or Colorado. I've always loved Montana. My concern is what is the job situation? I'm a 29 yr old Computer Systems Engineer/ Photojournalist and my wife wants to open a Bakery. We were checking out Bozeman, Livingston, and Helena.

Where are some really good places to live in Montana that have....

1. Close to ski resorts
2. Somewhat good economy
3. Hiring
4. Charm
5. Good community for kids
6. Outdoor driven community

Thanks in advance!
Items 3 and 4 are hard. Not much work for computer systems engineers in Livingston, maybe some in Montana but they don't pay too well. Your wife can open a bakery in either place but don't know how much money there would be to make in it. Lots of people like to open restaurants/eateries/bakeries in touristy spots and competition is stiff.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:35 AM

323 posts, read 1,131,500 times
I think you could make all that work in Bozeman or Livingston.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
Welcome to the board
Do a little job search and maybe we can help you narrow down to some communities.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,106 times
First look at the tax situation to see if it's any better where you currently live. I moved back Wyoming last week because I lost my job, lost my home to foreclosure and grand-dads farm is where I grew up. Taxes by State

Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 AM

503 posts, read 1,454,335 times
Bozeman has alot nearby. Costco, Walmart, Target. I would pick that spot. I have been thru Livingston a few times on my way to Daileys lake and there doesn't seem much going on there. Or maybe I missed the city?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 56,629 times
I have a question actually several about Montana, I am coming to West Yellowstone for a visit in December of this year, I understand that the airport in Bozeman is about 90 miles from the place we are staying, so here is my long list of questions..
1. What type of clothing would be bet and appropriate for this cold weather?
2. Is any of Yellowstone open December 5-12?
3. Is there any winter horse back riding available?
4. Which snow mobile trails are the best and which rental company is the best?
5. What other areas can we visit tour while we are there for example, we are looking at maybe the Grand Tetons as a day trip, any other suggestions?
6. How is the job market, I currently do real estate( I know enough said) and I sub teach for the local schools, my husband is a utility locator which is the person who spray paints and flags the ground for fiber, cable, phone lines etc,, that are buried underground, so he marks them to avoid them being cut when there is some type of work being done near the lines
7. How is the school system?

I am expecting very friendly people and intend on being friendly right back. I would appreciate any help on these things as we are trying to plan this trip and plan smartly and get the most out of our week there seeing as much gorgeous country as we can

Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 AM

34 posts, read 98,255 times
Hi, and hope you dress super warm for your trip, best bet is get a North face coat for vy cold temps but bring along fleece, etc for if it gets a little warmer or when you are just in and out. You need full gear for your legs and hat, maybe balacava if it's windy, of course gloves, you can get those warmer things to put into your boots or mittens.
Are you asking those questions about boze or w. yellowstone?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
Bozeman is so awesome but soooo expensive. Not sure how that would relate to the cost of living where you currently are or what kind of income you would get in Bozeman.

I know that Bozeman is more expensive then Alaska.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 AM

89 posts, read 327,546 times
Stay out of Livingston. I lived there, and worked in the school system for three years. The schools are terrible. It's too bad, because it's such a beautiful region, but the town totally sucks. Park county is very poor, and there is no support for the schools, or their athletic teams. The football team hasn't had a winning record since the 70's. Loser culture. The coaches around Montana call Livingston the coaches graveyard. No coach stays for long. It's hard to build a winning team with no support from the community, or administration. I feel sorry for any kid that has to go to school in Livingston. Did I say the town is filled with white trash? White trash everwhere. It's one of those towns where you either have money, or you don't. Most people in Livingston don't have any money. The scenery, and fishing are first rate, but that doesn't pay the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman