U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 33,331 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My girlfriend and I are considering moving to Bozeman over the next few months and were hoping to get some guidance from some of you. I will only ask one question which I can't get a feel for or an anwer to by looking on the internet. The question is, Is Bozeman quaint and quality? I love towns with cafe's in little nooks and local pizza joints that are open late, where the restaurants and shops are run by locals because the locals that shop at them wouldn't shop anywhere else. Where you can have a cup of coffee in the morning and know the name of the barista as well as his or her kids, and you can listen to live jazz at night and be friends with the guy blowing the horn. And most importantly where people are willing to shut down their private businesses when there are fresh tracks to be had! Is Bozeman the funky quaint ski town I am looking for or do I need to focus elsewhere? THANK YOU!!!! It is hard to make these decisions without going and checking out the area so I greatly appreciate the help!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorsie32 View Post
Hello everyone!

My girlfriend and I are considering moving to Bozeman over the next few months and were hoping to get some guidance from some of you. I will only ask one question which I can't get a feel for or an anwer to by looking on the internet. The question is, Is Bozeman quaint and quality? I love towns with cafe's in little nooks and local pizza joints that are open late, where the restaurants and shops are run by locals because the locals that shop at them wouldn't shop anywhere else. Where you can have a cup of coffee in the morning and know the name of the barista as well as his or her kids, and you can listen to live jazz at night and be friends with the guy blowing the horn. And most importantly where people are willing to shut down their private businesses when there are fresh tracks to be had! Is Bozeman the funky quaint ski town I am looking for or do I need to focus elsewhere? THANK YOU!!!! It is hard to make these decisions without going and checking out the area so I greatly appreciate the help!!!
It sounds like you're looking for a ski town and skiing is a big part of Bozeman. I grew up in Whitefish (The Big Mountain, now Whitefish Mountain Resort) and went to college in Bozeman. I'd describe Whitefish to fit your definition a bit more - big restaurant scene, lots of coffee shops, some live music, etc.

Bozeman I'd describe more of a college town and less of a ski town. Sure, a lot of people ski there. But the drumbeat of Bozeman is the college and that's what everyone talks about. Sure when it snows half of the college can be found at the mountain. But the buzz of the town really focus around the college rather the mountain. So yes, there are coffee shops in Bozeman and they're filled with college kids. There are pizza parlors and live music but it's college kids (not ski bums) that are there enjoying the scene. So I'd vote Whitefish is you want a ski town or Bozeman if you want to live in a college town where people ski a lot.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:28 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,645,580 times
The type of place you are describing sounds more to me like Mammoth Lakes California.
Mammoth mountain is like no other.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,031,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorsie32 View Post
Hello everyone!

.... Where you can have a cup of coffee in the morning and know the name of the barista as well as his or her kids, .....
If they are calling the waitress or person who pours you a cup of Joe a "barista" it's too trendy for me.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:32 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,152,100 times
Bozeman is first and foremost a college town. But, its a prospering college town because we're so close to quite a few ski-resorts. So, its a ski-bum college town.

Hell, I've heard professors cancelling class for the first powder day.

We have coffee shops. We have live music.

Things aren't open as late as I'd like... but then again, I'm from Seattle, so my definition of late differs from most.

But, I'm also not a skier, I just happen to know quite a few ski-bums and they really seem to like Bozeman for all of its properties.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,645,580 times
Bozoman has got to be a great place for a young person who loves to snowboard, and who also has very rich parents !!!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:04 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,152,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Bozoman has got to be a great place for a young person who loves to snowboard, and who also has very rich parents !!!!!
you dont need rich parents...

you need rich parents OR a skill that allows you to make good money in Bozeman.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Moving soon

Thank you for the information everyone. We have to make our decision in the near future and appreciate all the input as these decisions are big ones!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,938,171 times
Big decisions... Sometimes the best ones are the ones we don't think about, and other times they are the decisions we reflect on..

What will you PROVIDE to the area you are thinking about moving to, to earn your keep?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM

I'm a physical therapist, and my girlfriend isa dietician
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman