U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 156,485 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Belgrade/Bozeman and was wondering if it is a necessity to have an engine block heater and/or engine oil heater?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,422,976 times
Yup.

My family has always used a block heater.

Coldest day I experienced in Bozeman was -32. Not too many cars without an engine heater started that day.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 PM

155 posts, read 672,973 times
Definately! Also depends on age and type of vehicle. Most probably will start even on the cold days, however it is extremely hard on the motor when starting from very cold temperatures. Also, best to start it up for 5 minutes and let the motor warm up a bit before traveling to work.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:45 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,851,388 times
You can put your block heater on a timer to heat up the block three or four hours before you have to go to work. The sooner you can get the engine warmed up the sooner you can get all that fog off the inside of the windows. It's really nice to have a garage so you don't have to sweep all the snow off the windshield all the freaking time.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,422,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
You can put your block heater on a timer to heat up the block three or four hours before you have to go to work. The sooner you can get the engine warmed up the sooner you can get all that fog off the inside of the windows. It's really nice to have a garage so you don't have to sweep all the snow off the windshield all the freaking time.
Yeah, but then you bring snow into your garage and have to shovel out (the inside of) your garage from time to time in the winter. You might also get some ice building and have to periodically sand your concrete so you don't slip on ice!!!

Just kidding, garages are real nice in the winter.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,203,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Im looking forward to the garage this winter.

However, last year I parked my car in the North Hedges lot and never had a problem starting it, and I was driving M-F. So, its not that big of a deal in my experience.

That being said, i would've loved to have one.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:45 PM

239 posts, read 645,642 times
Many people don't like to have their fan on for the heater until the engine warms up. If you do that and have a small crack in your windshield, the hot air being blown onto a freezing windshield will cause the crack to expand into a full break. Let the windshield warm up gradually with the engine...or get a new windshield.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,851,388 times
It's really nice to have a drain in the middle of the garage floor but not many folks have those. A lot of water does drip off the rig after driving in a storm.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM

239 posts, read 645,642 times
It certainly doesn't hurt to sweep off excess snow and kick off ice build up around the tires before moving inside

Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 AM

7,898 posts, read 13,737,598 times
Absolutely yes. You will thank yourself every cold day for this relatively cheap investment.

I had a really "hot" one in my '63 Olds. It not only warmed up the engine, but if I remembered to leave the interior heat "on" (back in the days of using circulating water to heat the cab, dunno what they use now) the inside of the car would be toasty warm in the morning, and the windshield might even have melted clear too, or at least would be easier to clear the ice off. And I never got a cracked windshield, because it stayed lukewarm so never got shocked from super-cold to hot.

I always plugged it in the moment I got home, so the engine never got really cold. That reduces thermal stress, since it doesn't experience such big temperature swings, which can't help but improve its lifespan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
View detailed profiles of: