U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 13,977 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and I am Montana born and raised. My husband and I moved to the Seattle area about 18 years ago and have always longed to go back. My husband is applying for a job near Bozeman and I know that the housing there and in Belgrade is high. I am from a small town outside of Great Falls originally and my husband is from Butte. We want our kids to grow up in a smaller town. Could you tell me about Three Forks? I've been there but not for a long time. I see that the test scores from the school aren't as high as Belgrade but it looks like the teacher/student ratio is much better. I also like the housing costs there better. Also, if I were to get a job in Bozeman, would the commute be okay during the winter? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeanne
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:46 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,700,552 times
Quote:
Also, if I were to get a job in Bozeman, would the commute be okay during the winter?
Hi, me again. Yes, that commute is probably ok. The distance is not that great and you don't have to go over any passes. I'm also from Butte like your husband. Butte is actually starting to gain some population again after all of those years of declining. I usually go up once a year since my Mother lives just south of Butte. The only bad thing about your commute would be the occational storm when the freeway gets iced up. I've always hated that kind of driving but if you're careful and your vehicle is in good shape it can be done.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:42 PM

373 posts, read 1,771,735 times
Three Forks is a great little town! The commute isn't too bad, as it's all freeway. However, be aware that a brand new planned community of about 6000 is under development just a couple of miles down the road called "Rolling Glen." If Rolling Glen really gets rolling, that could dramatically change the dynamics of the area and the number of commuters. The new community would probably dramatically change the feel of the area.

I would like to give you a couple of tips on why Three Forks might be a little better for kids than Belgrade. Three Forks is a "class B" school in terms of athletics, speech, & drama. That means that if you have kids that want to play sports, they won't really have to "make the team." They'll be able to participate. Also, a class B school will have less likelihood of having cliques. Also, if you live in Belgrade and your kid is in high school, it's a lot easier for them to mix with the older brothers & sisters of their friends who are in college in Bozeman. That means they get exposed to more grown up stuff and have more opportunities to get alcohol at will. Kids in Three Forks are going to go down to the river and drink. But, kids in Belgrade are going to go to parties and potentially run into an older crowd. Belgrade kids will also want to do lots of stuff in Bozeman. This is a big deal if you have girls. I was one of those girls that went to Bozeman college parties when I was in high school, and there were a lot of older college kids wanting us to get involved in stuff we shouldn't be doing at that age (sex, drugs, etc.). So, yes, every kid is exposed to the opportunity to go astray, but there might be a lot more peer pressure the closer you get to Bozeman.

Last edited by lorelei2873; 03-01-2007 at 06:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,977 times
Thanks for your replies. I did read some of the reviews of the school in Belgrade and I was not very impressed. It sounds like it is clickish. I grew up in a Class B school and that's what I'd want for my kids, although I believe Belgrade used to be Class B a few years ago. Sports would be one of the considerations as for making the team. My daughter now goes to a very clickish, rich school and only the girls who suck up make the team, so she didn't make it.

Anyway, thanks also for the info on Rolling Glen. Always good to know about that stuff.

Thanks,

Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 AM

989 posts, read 3,293,156 times
Three forks is a nice place. My wife and I go over to their rodeo each summer. Very small place, about the right size if you asked me. Very much a horse town. Pretty much one main road. Nice people.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 AM

30 posts, read 115,271 times
We're moving to Bozeman next week and renting until May to find the best area for our family. Three Forks is really peaking our interest but I was wondering if anyone could add more comments on "Rolling Glen" now that a few months have passed since the last post in this thread. I saw some real estate listings for Rolling Glen so it looks like it moved forward.

How does Three Forks compare to Manhattan, Amsterdam, and Gallatin Gateway (our other areas of interest)?

Last edited by gowestgal; 10-08-2007 at 10:27 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM

355 posts, read 1,066,992 times
Default Rolling Glen

Actually, there are several subdivisions going in up on that windswept hill. Rolling Glen, Mountain Vista, Morning Sky, and (I think) Wheatland Meadows. My job has taken me up there occasionally, but it hasn't been screaming busy like some places have. The lots have come down in price some, and they'd have to for my money. That area is nice to look out of but plumb exposed to every kind of weather and wind. In the course of my last twenty years of work, I've been all over Park and Gallatin counties, up all the main and sideroads, every month of the year good weather and bad, and I can tell you that hilltop is one of the last places I'd ever live. You'd never have to worry about shoveling snow, that's for sure.

They have done some improvement to the roads, and it looks as if they're punching another road west of the main drag into Mountain Vista. There have been quite a few houses go in up there, and they've divided the area up to where you can have a smaller lot or quite a few acres if you wish. Access out to 287 is good, if a bit rough. There are maybe a few gullies in there that might make a bit better homesite, but not for this kid. With the price the lots are selling for, I'm sure it will eventually fill out - guess I've seen just as barren of places get going and get bought up. If all those lots do, I'm sure Three Forks will eventually go the route of Belgrade and, increasingly, Manhattan. The interesting thing is, if I'm not mistaken most of that area is in Broadwater county (county seat, Townsend), so there might get to be a real turf war over taxes and schools.

I live quite close to Amsterdam, and we too have subdivisions going in. The one on the north edge of Churchill is getting pretty full, and there is another platted just to the west of town. It is stalled due to financial distress, as are several others around the valley right now. Manhattan's housing prices have really went up the past 3-5 years, and there are at least two major subdivisions going in adjacent to town. The bigger of the bunch is stalled due to water problems and, rumor has it, also some money problems. Manhattan has some real nice houses for sale, kinda pricey, but a nice place to live. If they get crowded, getting out of town is going to start being a hassle just like Belgrade found out. Already they want a new school, and I'm sure fire, police, city services, etc., etc. will be next. A co-worker of mine who grew up here said Manhattan should enjoy things right now as they are seeing the last years when they are a pleasant small town to be in. Gateway is holding it's own yet, still pretty much the same place but surrounded by some truly impressive money. I have worked on some huge places around there, but there are still some decent small spots left - just hard to find.

I think Three Forks would do fine for you, especially if you grew up here and kind of understand where this valley has gone the past 15+ years. I have friends there and am actually considering purchasing a very small trailer for a rental right now. Nervous about the fact that nearly the entire town is a flood plain, but the track record the last 75 years has been pretty good. Guess the last one of any consequence was in 1948 and it was caused by an ice jam on the Jefferson. So I guess that's good news or bad, depending on how you view the flood occurrence data. I like their school, and the feel on Main Street is as close to the Montana I like as any place around here. I'd live there, no problem, but I'd have a bug zapper that ran on 220v in the back yard - sometimes the 'skeeters are something else...

Good luck

Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 AM

51 posts, read 222,256 times
well put rangerider! If I had to choose, I think I would pick Three Forks, but that's from old memories. I am sure either town is great.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,565 times
Default Three Forks, um, think about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannec123 View Post
I'm new here and I am Montana born and raised. My husband and I moved to the Seattle area about 18 years ago and have always longed to go back. My husband is applying for a job near Bozeman and I know that the housing there and in Belgrade is high. I am from a small town outside of Great Falls originally and my husband is from Butte. We want our kids to grow up in a smaller town. Could you tell me about Three Forks? I've been there but not for a long time. I see that the test scores from the school aren't as high as Belgrade but it looks like the teacher/student ratio is much better. I also like the housing costs there better. Also, if I were to get a job in Bozeman, would the commute be okay during the winter? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeanne
Three Forks is probably not the nicest town in the Gallatin Valley. If you lived in Seattle, you may find it stifling unless you grew up in small town Montana. The streets are not paved, the summer is stifling, the bugs come in giant waves, and the town sprays in summer evenings something horrid to keep them down. But then again, it is not unlike the surrounding towns, Belgrade and that type. Pretty due to proximity of the river, tho. And the people are very very nice. Overall impression of Three Forks is that it is quite dusty and smelly due to proximity also of open air sewer treatment facilities. Bozeman is a much better choice if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman