Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 PM

112 posts, read 403,787 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am just an average guy. I don't have a few million to build a chalet on the side of a mountain. I currently live in Houston, the armpit of Texas. if it weren't for the reasonable well-built housing here, there would be no reason to live here at all.

After moving here eight months ago, my wife and 4000 others lost their job..now everyone in the medical field is vying for the same position and the med community is responding like there is a plague at their door by hiring from within! BELIEVE ME, ONLY THE SHADOW OF MUCH WORSE TIMES TO COME.

My wife has an interview in Bozeman after the first of the year. The job looks good but is 20k less than she made here and the cost of living is much higher there. I am e=unemployed and have been trying to get a job for quite some time.

From what I gather, electricity is high, taxes are low and housing is just plain stupid and from the looks of things, not that well built.

I have a very nice house here in Houston with pool and hottub, fully landscaped with all the gizmos and I only paid 239,00. From what I have seen, this house would be close to 400k in Bozeman.

Can someone tell me where a guy who is on a tight budget and has spent his savings in unemployment would find a nice, well built house, with a large yard, maybe some trees, a 2 car garage and nice amenities?? I will travel a least 20 miles to get some extra room and/or a better house.
I need about 2500 sqft. Also considering a townhouse but I have big dogs.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,628,430 times
Well I thought I would scoot you up a bit. I can not help you with the specifications you are asking for, I can only say the weather is a factor in commute time just about anywhere in the state. Montana is sparsely populated so maybe start with the specific type of job you wife is looking at and we can help you from there, are you only interested in Bozeman? BTW IMO the real estate bubble is breaking here so I would caution buying big just because you can.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:21 PM

112 posts, read 403,787 times
Default Wife will work in Bozeman

My wife will be working for DEACONESS hospital if she is offered the job. That is in Bozeman we understand. She was making mid 70s here and probably around 55 there.

As for bubble bursting. I dont' see a downswing in RE there - only the lack of inventory. This is, at the average guy level. Now, there are a lot of 1, 2, and 3 million dollar homes on the market near Bozeman.

Being from Tennessee originally has spoiled us. Texas is one sprawling subdivision after another with zero lot lines and 60x100 lots. Houston is a no-scenic zone

In Tennessee, we 3 acres, streams, trees, trails ad then we moved to this dirt hole so if we move to Bozeman, we'd sure like to have, at least an acre and, preferably more -- but our budget will top at about 250k and we need 3br/2ba with a 2 car garage and no less than 2500 sq feet.

Like I said, it is a shame that one gets teh chance to come to a place like Bozeman and has to live the suburban life with so much wide open space around.

Thanks for any help

Old 12-20-2008, 11:42 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,628,430 times
anyone help with Bozeman info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman