Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 26,090 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

Does anyone have any experience living in the Baxter Meadows community in Bozeman? It seems pretty idylic (sp?) from their website but I am wondering if it's a great place to raise children. Looks like they are going to build a new playground this summer. Any feedback positive/negative is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
It's a typical, new California style subdivision. (speck homes)

Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 26,090 times
Thanks for the response. It seems there are a lot of affordable rentals available there and so I am wondering if it is more transient than other areas of Bozeman. Looks like they are going to build a huge park this summer and seems like would be a good place for kids. Anyone know if there are a lot of young families living there? Is it within walking distance to town? Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
I wouldn't call it walking distance, but might make for a nice bike ride. Seems to be a decent mix of families and more well off college students in the area. There is a new fire station being built in the area and it is close to the businesses on the west side of town. (19'th street side)

Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM

18 posts, read 93,011 times
The new park, that will be adjacent to Firestation 3, would be in walking range if you live in Baxter Meadows Subdivision. If you have pets, mainly dogs, it might be a good option because the subdivision itself is new and is surrounded by open fields. Down the street, heading east to 19th, is the post office. The elementary school opened last fall. I live in the area, not Baxter Meadows, and can tell you living in this area will save you some time because you don't have to drive across town for shopping.

"Baxter", the street itself, is a rolling two lane road and will have to be redone at some point in the future. The houses have smaller yards. I think you would be about 10' from your neighbor. The houses seem overpriced, but there are quite a few for sale. So make an offer below asking.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM

10 posts, read 24,443 times
I was driving around that area today and noticed many homes for sale (in addition to the many lots still for sale). I'm wondering if it's due in part to the new middle school being located in the neighborhood; no doubt brings traffic to the area. Also could just be the 'new' economy. Not sure about rentals...there was one really big house with a 'for rent' sign in the yard (right next to the 'for sale' sign); can't imagine that the rent would be anywhere near affordable unless you make an pretty big living. There are condos and smaller houses in Baxter Meadows that may very well be considered affordable as far as rentals go.

As for the new park - Baxter Meadows already has a community park. It sounds like you're thinking of the nearby 100 acre park to be built....sometime. The land is set aside for it; there's already a pond and some trails built there. Also the aforementioned fire station and supposedly the Dinosaur Park (kids' playground) to be built this summer.

Other developments in the area include Oak Springs and Harvest Creek (both across Oak St from the 100 acre park, south of Baxter Meadows). If you don't want to be surrounded by college kids, parts of Oak Springs may not suit, although there are young families there as well. Same with Harvest Creek. There are condos/multi-unit dwellings in Oak Springs; single family homes only in Harvest Creek. Not sure how you might define 'affordable rent.' Many single family homes in the area rent for over $1000/month (at least) - not sure about condos. Baxter Meadows is really not within walking distance to much. If you're adventurous and have a big basket I suppose you could ride your bike to Target; other than that, it's the car for you, matey!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 93,011 times
If you ride your bike to Target you can hop on the Streamline bus, with your bike, for free and it will take you downtown.

I rent in the area and can tell you Bozeman rents for $300-400 a bedroom. Given that the economy is weak, I'm sure you can rent a nice 3 bedroom for around $1000.

There are young families there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman