U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 AM

519 posts, read 1,280,147 times

Advertisements

romath thanks, no that isn't all that matters to us, we have children so we want good schools, a safe area to live in. Where I am now, we get the 4 seasons but, in the winter not much snow, so knowing tha Montana gets alot of snow is part of the equation, also, the scenery, the quality of life, as well as being in a really good community. There are many, many reasons for our move, not just the issue of cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM

323 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
No we haven't moved yet, but actually we would probably rather live ouside of town or country anyhow, most definatly woudl rent 1st before commiting to anything anywhere.
I wondered if Wyoming would be any cheaper, would anyone know???
This job has a postion in Bozeman, Montana, and also in Casper, Wyoming not really sure which of 2 would be better. I agree I think that 250,000 is pretty darn high. Thank You electric_lady.
I wouldn't move to Casper if someone paid me. I love Wyoming, but not into that particular area. There is plenty of opportunity to work in Bozeman and live a quiet, secluded life a ways out of town. I'd look into living around Livingston.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 AM

OK, so I've lived in Bozeman for a couple months now. And I have to say - the cost of living can be quite high!!! Rent for a studio apartment is running $500-600, and that doesn't even include utilities quite often. Not many people make enough to afford that around here. I've also found the cost of going out to eat to be more expensive than other areas of the country. At an average restaurant you're looking at $14 for a plate, not including drinks or sides. These are meals that would cost me $7-9 a plate in Ann Arbor, MI or Portland, OR. Maybe it's not a very high volume place, so restaurants have to charge more?
It was a real shocker to me.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:49 PM

34 posts, read 88,506 times
I love, absolutely love living in Bozeman. The schools are amazing, sense of community mindblowing (it's probably the way life used to be) safety factor incredible. In the time we've lived here I've been nothing but happy. The winters are NOT THAT BAD. I'm sorry, the winter is so much worse in the midwest or even east coast. You can now find a reasonable price on housing and you know what...you will just get equity in years to come. This place is hopping. If you have kids, it's a dream come true.
I think montana is like a hidden jewel that is just being discovered and will grow like crazy in the years to come. It's sad, but it is such a great place to live.
As far as dinners, etc being expensive, we have NO SALES TAX here. That really adds up, over the long run.
This place rocks and it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen too.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM

7,829 posts, read 13,439,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
I love, absolutely love living in Bozeman. The schools are amazing, sense of community mindblowing (it's probably the way life used to be) safety factor incredible. In the time we've lived here I've been nothing but happy. The winters are NOT THAT BAD.
Wait til a bad one comes along and it's -65 every morning in January

Safety is a real factor. I don't recall EVER feeling threatened when I lived there (12 years, and I'm one of those sorts who enjoys walking around at night).

Old 11-09-2009, 10:07 AM

34 posts, read 88,506 times
When it's -65 every morning (I'm assuming with windchill?) I'll probably be singing a different tune, LOL. Anyway what do they say, it's a
"dry cold" so it's actually on about -30, right. I went out running in -15 last year and it wasn't too terrible, just have to have good gear!
But what is harder for me is the lack of sunlight you find in other places. It's generally pretty sunny here which is very nice IMO.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM

I'll second the sun factor. Being from the Detroit area, I'll take a negative degree day and sun over those nasty 33 degree and rain days, where you don't see the sun for weeks! UGH!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM

7,829 posts, read 13,439,772 times
Nope, that's before windchill. Actual air temp. Tho it's usually warmer in Bozeman than in Belgrade (up to 20 degrees difference). On the plus side, when it's that cold it usually isn't blowing and is rarely to never overcast (cloud cover always warms things up somewhat). It can be so dry the air hurts to breathe, tho. And at the same time the sun is shining brightly and not a cloud in the sky, so it looks like it ought to be summer, if only the thermometer would cooperate!

Some winter nights can be so clear with such a bright moon, that the reflection off the snow can make you think about sunglasses. Well, at least if your eyes are glare-sensitive (mine are, and I see very well in the dark).

And remember... if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes -- it'll change!!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 PM

500 posts, read 1,288,773 times
When will the snow get here to stay? I am enjoying the warm weather while I can and getting a daily walk in.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM

271 posts, read 422,683 times
Just wondering...does Bozeman get more snow, and does it last longer than the Kalispell area? I've heard it does. Also West Yellowstone getting TONS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman