Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:45 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times

Advertisements

I have some friends who have offered me a room in their rented house for $275 a month. Even if I make $9, I would be able to afford this and all my food and gas. This, to me, seems cheap. Especially compared with other desireable mountain cities. Not to mention being a college town - in Ann Arbor, Mich. for example, I'd be looking at at least $600 for my own room, not making any more money than in Montana.
So, I guess I'm wondering why is the cost of living considered to be so high in Bozeman?
Is food and gas really THAT much more expensive than the average American city? I know it's somewhat remote, but, can anyone give me an idea here? Are we talking like $5 for milk or something? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
I have some friends who have offered me a room in their rented house for $275 a month. Even if I make $9, I would be able to afford this and all my food and gas. This, to me, seems cheap. Especially compared with other desireable mountain cities. Not to mention being a college town - in Ann Arbor, Mich. for example, I'd be looking at at least $600 for my own room, not making any more money than in Montana.
So, I guess I'm wondering why is the cost of living considered to be so high in Bozeman?
Is food and gas really THAT much more expensive than the average American city? I know it's somewhat remote, but, can anyone give me an idea here? Are we talking like $5 for milk or something? What gives?
Heck you can rent an entire house for that here!
It is all relative dear, the frog in the pot never knows it is boiling to death because it is unaware that the temperature is going up.You are most likely a victim of this mentality. The cost of living has doubled in areas like Bozeman because of the population increase, need more utilities, schools, roads, ect. What seems reasonable to you might be a burden to others.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM

214 posts, read 601,861 times
Well, for one thing, not everyone would consider living in a room as a place to live. If you have common interests with the folks your moving in with, it might be a good deal. Let us know how it goes for you on the cost of living, since you won't be paying any property taxes. Your young have a ball!

Last edited by Jbechtel; 04-10-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Bozeman is so close to Big Sky and Yellowstone as well as being a College town rent is actually pretty high considering what you are getting for the money and the fact that jobs are scarce.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
It's not very expensive now that the bubble has burst. Prices have dropped probably 50% here. They were unsustainable in the first place given the utter lack of jobs.

Other places in Montana are doing just fine - no bubble there.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 AM

No bubble here, just a few toots

Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Purchase prices of homes are still too high. Property values are still too high. Jobs are still few and far between. I dont see where the bubble is done yet, I believe we still have another year to a year and a half before the prices become reasonable. I look thru the paper on a regular basis and am looking for the prices to get down to where they were 5 years ago before the bubble got out of hand. A home around here that is renting for 1300 should be at about 800 and an apartment that is currently at 500 should be no more than 300 and I dont see this happening yet.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM

214 posts, read 601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Purchase prices of homes are still too high. Property values are still too high. Jobs are still few and far between. I dont see where the bubble is done yet, I believe we still have another year to a year and a half before the prices become reasonable. I look thru the paper on a regular basis and am looking for the prices to get down to where they were 5 years ago before the bubble got out of hand. A home around here that is renting for 1300 should be at about 800 and an apartment that is currently at 500 should be no more than 300 and I dont see this happening yet.
That's interesting,...what makes you think this?

Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbechtel View Post
That's interesting,...what makes you think this?
Might I invite you over to the porch? I might find some tennis balls since you seem to enjoy a good game of volley
I would like to hear some of your thoughts, come visit.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I don't believe that waiting for prices in Montana to go lower before buying is wise. You can already buy a place for less than you can rent it for. I am not an expert on freaking anything but If I had any extra capital laying around I would buy more property right now. Bozeman rents are only viewed as high when compaired to the other places in Montana. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman