U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:19 PM

7,918 posts, read 13,774,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedy View Post
Thank you all for the advice. Now if I could just get my retriever to stop rolling around in poo. Did it yesterday and had to have a bath....went out and found the same spot again today. Sigh...and he thinks he smells so good. He comes in head held high like he is sporting a new do! What a dog. Thanks again for the tips. We are looking forward to the move. Just waiting to sell this house, but I am half packed and ready to go.
Haha, that's just dogs... viewed objectively, they're disgusting creatures

I had a Lab/Dobe cross once who could find a dead deer anywhere, and would slime himself up but good with stinky goo that would not wash off. He was SO proud of his new "perfume" and "hair tonic", and couldn't understand why I didn't share his taste!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,726,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Haha, that's just dogs... viewed objectively, they're disgusting creatures

I had a Lab/Dobe cross once who could find a dead deer anywhere, and would slime himself up but good with stinky goo that would not wash off. He was SO proud of his new "perfume" and "hair tonic", and couldn't understand why I didn't share his taste!
You should see the dashies at the gutting table, a more fierce bunch you will never see...

Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM

33 posts, read 73,829 times
Default dogs in Bozeman

Bozeman does have nonsensical dog laws tho - they outlaw Pitbulls, ( not that unusual) Dobermans,( fairly common law I guess )and German Shepherds - of all things!!!! - when it is small dogs like poodles which are responsible for the most dog bites in the USA

=)

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-05-2009 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: sig

Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM

7,918 posts, read 13,774,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganpony View Post
Bozeman does have nonsensical dog laws tho - they outlaw Pitbulls, ( not that unusual) Dobermans,( fairly common law I guess )and German Shepherds - of all things!!!! - when it is small dogs like poodles which are responsible for the most dog bites in the USA

=)
According to the CDC stats, Chows are the #1 biting dog. Pitbull bites are so uncommon that they aren't even statistically significant -- well below the average per-capita for most breeds/mixes. One of the problems with the media hysteria is that EVERY reported dog bite incident is purported to be a "pit bull" even when it is not, because that is the current Scary Dog. (The same incident, involving any other breed or mix, somehow never gets reported.) In the past it was the Doberman, the Rottweiler, the German Shepherd, and during the Prohibition era -- the Collie!! Every era has a scapegoat and witch hunt, which seldom have anything to do with objective reality.

From a study by the American Canine Foundation:

It must be emphasized that fatal dog attacks are exceedingly rare events.

There is an estimated population of 55 millions dogs in the United States.
There are approximately 20 human deaths per year due to a dog attack.

Therefore, an infinitesimal percent (.0000004%) of the dog population is
involved in a fatal attack.
(For comparison, about 14 people die from rattlesnake bite every year. And about 100,000 die from doctors' mistakes. Better to ban doctors than pitbulls!)

Old 05-09-2009, 09:04 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,726,531 times
Wish I could rep ya, but here is a

Old 06-28-2009, 12:00 AM

4 posts, read 9,251 times
Here is a little info for your tick question... last May our dog got a tick that had attached to the side of her face. We got it removed at the vet and ask a bunch of questions ourselves. There are ticks here in Montana, especially in the Spring time when things are wet and the grass is growing tall. When we brought our dog in to get the tick removed, our vet commented on the unusually large number of ticks she had been removing from dogs in those few weeks. The good thing is that lyme disease here is VERY VERY rare and our vet was not worried at all. There is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in this area trasmitted by ticks, but that is not especially common. I cannot speak as to the effectiveness of Frontline since I don't use it, but tick-borne diseases are quite a bit less of a concern here compared to other parts of the U.S.

As for the dog-friendly nature of Bozeman... I have to say that the dogs here are generally friendlier and better-exercised than in larger cities. I suppose it helps that Bozeman is so outdoors oriented. You can bring your dog into most stores, banks etc and they will even have dog treats available to give to your dog. The rental market, however, is really not very pet-friendly at all. You would be lucky to find a handful of options that will allow your pet at a price you can afford in the location you want or with a fenced yard etc. Some allow pets, but limit it to one... maybe too. Some don't want cats, some don't want dogs. Some also require large pet security deposits or additional rental fees. Property costs are so high here that landlords don't want their nice rentals losing any value (such as damage caused by pets, or smoking). For what appears to be such a dog-friendly place, it's not as easy to rent with dogs. I've heard of a lot of people in Bozeman who have to give up their dogs or cats because they just can't afford the rentals that allow them... I have a small dog and a bunch of cats and boy did we luck out finding a place here in Belgrade! There are leash laws in Bozeman, but they are pretty much ignored by everyone. It can be extremely annoying at times when a bunch of dogs (far away from their owners) run up to sniff and bother your dog. But if your dog is social and not easily crushed (or if you don't have small children) then this shouldn't be a problem. Pete's Hill might as well be called "Dog Park of Bozeman" with the packs of off-leash dogs we've seen there (sometimes a group of owners will have 12 dogs running around together!) At a less-traveled park outside downtown, my fiance was bit by an offleash mastiff that was traveling along with 3 other offleash dogs. Our dog is 25 lbs, 10 years old, has arthritis and wants her space. So needless to say, we are VERY picky about where we bring our dog in downtown Bozeman. Offleash dogs following cyclists or runners are never a problem (they are too busy running) or even on some of the hiking trails. But it can be quite a nuisance at parks... with Pete's Hill being the absolute worst in my opinion (unless, of course, you have a social dog and don't mind off-leash craziness). Let me know if I may offer some suggestions on dog-walking places where there are usually very few off-leash dogs.

By the way, don't move here because there are no jobs.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 PM

193 posts, read 431,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganStar View Post
last May our dog got a tick that had attached to the side of her face. We got it removed at the vet and ask a bunch of questions ourselves.
I'm sorry, and I will try hard to stop laughing. But is this a true statement or are you just making a joke?

You, for real, took your dog to the vet to get a tick pulled off it?? Can I ask what the fee is for that?? Is it a per tick charge or an over all tick removal procedure? Heck, I wonder what it would have cost to have 30 or more removed from one of my running hounds after a summer night chase?

By the way, Frontline is great, if your pooch does get a tick it will usually die and fall off in a couple days. But for the most part they won't even stay on the dog long if he is treated with Frontline every 30 days.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,195 times
I saw no one answerf your question about the leash law no your dog does not have to be on a leash and for ticks and fleas well we go hiking and camping all the time and have had no proplems with either

Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,251 times
Although it's unrelated in this thread, I'd like to provide a few details to these two people who apparently thought that a vegan bringing their dog to the vet to get a tick removed is sooooo funny. My dog has had a splenectomy and so lyme disease would be a serious problem for her. We were not aware that ticks were very common in Montana so that explains why she wasn't on Frontline. Aside from the fact that I had never encountered a tick before (and thus did not know how to properly remove it), I had a lot of questions to ask my vet about ticks and tick-borne diseases in the Bozeman area in regards to my dog's medical situation.

In regards to the leash law question, Bozeman actually does require dogs to be on leash in all public areas. There was an interesting article in the newspaper a few months ago that may be helpful.

Bozeman Montana Local News (http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2009/02/09/news/000dogs.txt - broken link)

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-05-2009 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 06:46 AM

193 posts, read 431,282 times
VeganStar, I am sorry for my comment if it offended, and no I am not local to MT. But we are in the moving process. I have lived in Iowa and Missouri all my life. The ticks here are vey common and in huge numbers. I have owned as many as 58 dogs at one time, as we once had a registered Kennel and training pen. Removing ticks was a regular occurence that involved only a pair of pliers and a few minutes. So I guess that is why I found humor in it. But being a " Country Hick , Hill Billy , Red Neck " cross. Well, again I am sorry but I do find humor in some of the " City, Foo Foo, Lap Dogs" and their owners too. So my advice would be to keep them safe on a leash and on the sidewalk or in your purse.

Best of Luck to you and your pooch.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman