U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 PM

10 posts, read 21,309 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Bozeman in the near future and we have heard how dog-friendly the town is, for the most part. We were certainly surprised to see how many rentals now even allow dogs, something you rarely see here in Tennessee. I know that you have ticks there, but how much of a problem are they for outdoor pets and do the usual Frontline-type products work there? We are finding that ticks here are becoming ammune to these type of products and wondered if it is the same there. Also, we watched a video the other day of an interview that took place at a local Bozeman park. While the interview was going on, we saw runners and cyclists in the background with dogs running alongside them, not on a leash. Is the leash law there not enforced? Any input would be appreciated so we know what to expect for our pets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 AM

1,688 posts, read 7,647,776 times
Within city limits Bozeman has a two dog rule. Any number over two and you have to pay a licensing fee (I believe called a "kennel license") annually. It makes no difference if they're spayed/neutered on not. Just something to be aware of.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you, FiveHorses, for your reply. I will keep that licensing in mind. I am still looking for an answer from someone, however, about the tick problem and how it is handled and also about the leash business. Anyone know about this?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,703,015 times
Pet Licenses (http://www.bozeman.net/bozeman/finance/Treasury/petLicenses.aspx - broken link)
this one talks about the leash law.

As far as ticks, not so sure, I would look up vets in the area you are considering and maybe ask one directly. Lots of different areas, here it is too stinky cold for them.
Good luck and visit on the porch soon.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the link and the welcome, Seven of Nine. We will be sure to get Cody licensed and I will check with a local vet on the ticks. I was hoping that due to the cold temps, the problem would not be as bad as here locally in TN.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:32 PM

7,898 posts, read 13,737,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedy View Post
Thank you, FiveHorses, for your reply. I will keep that licensing in mind. I am still looking for an answer from someone, however, about the tick problem and how it is handled and also about the leash business. Anyone know about this?
When I lived in/around Bozeman I never had any problem with fleas or ticks. And I have a kennel of working dogs, which were often out in the brush. Once in a long while I'd pull a tick off someone but it's not like some places where you can't walk under a tree without 'em raining on you.

Fleas don't reproduce effectively in higher altitudes (above about 3500 feet) nor in very dry climates. Once in a while we'd see sticktites on cats' ears, but never saw any on the dogs.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,703,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
When I lived in/around Bozeman I never had any problem with fleas or ticks. And I have a kennel of working dogs, which were often out in the brush. Once in a long while I'd pull a tick off someone but it's not like some places where you can't walk under a tree without 'em raining on you.

Fleas don't reproduce effectively in higher altitudes (above about 3500 feet) nor in very dry climates. Once in a while we'd see sticktites on cats' ears, but never saw any on the dogs.
This was an unexpected benefit to living in Montana, evidently no termites either or so I am told.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 PM

7,898 posts, read 13,737,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
This was an unexpected benefit to living in Montana, evidently no termites either or so I am told.
There are termites in MT but they are rare, as they don't survive being frozen all that well. In fact one of the good treatments is to pump the walls full of liquid nitrogen. Occurs to me that just turning the heat off in January (and emptying the water pipes!) would work every bit as well!

Tho I hear Termidor works better as a permanent solution.

Unlike this SoCal desert, where if you lay a board on the ground today, it'll be infested by tomorrow! you wouldn't believe it but the desert is lousy with termites.

I notice since you can't use creosote anymore, SoCalEdison has given up on wooden power poles and gone to using metal, even tho those cost about 10x as much up front -- but don't need to be borax-injected every four years either.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 46,349 times
Tedy

I just recently moved to bozeman from the dallas area and have a lab. We've had her on the same frontline type product and she's been fine. From what i've seen bozeman is a VERY dog friendly town. They have lots of parks and even a "dog pond park". I would recommend keeping your dog on what she/he is currently on and perhaps visiting with a local vet when you get here just to make sure you're doing all you can to protect them. I haven't taken mine out hiking yet, but i'm sure that will make them more prone to ticks.

Hope you have a safe move!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Thank you all for the advice. Now if I could just get my retriever to stop rolling around in poo. Did it yesterday and had to have a bath....went out and found the same spot again today. Sigh...and he thinks he smells so good. He comes in head held high like he is sporting a new do! What a dog. Thanks again for the tips. We are looking forward to the move. Just waiting to sell this house, but I am half packed and ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman