U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 38,454,950 times
Reputation: 2147483647

Advertisements

I could smell the jet fuel from that post. Nothing like JP4 or 5 burning up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 AM
 
Location: Near the Rincons
263 posts, read 212,552 times
Reputation: 159
In yesterday's Arizona Daily Star newspaper. E-chip for passports. Did anyone read about this? And, how it took a guy 20 mins to hack all the info on some random person's passport. From 20 ft on the streets of SF. All he needed to do this was some $190 Motorola something he bought on E-Bay. Now that's scary. Bad enough if it's our own govt., but the alternative seems worse. Goodnight friends!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,843 posts, read 13,480,157 times
Reputation: 3386
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyLamb View Post
In yesterday's Arizona Daily Star newspaper. E-chip for passports. Did anyone read about this? And, how it took a guy 20 mins to hack all the info on some random person's passport. From 20 ft on the streets of SF. All he needed to do this was some $190 Motorola something he bought on E-Bay. Now that's scary. Bad enough if it's our own govt., but the alternative seems worse. Goodnight friends!
Yeah, we've been trashing the whole concept on Slashdot for a couple years now. RFID tracking of CITIZENS?? Excuse me??! Surveillance on Americans keeps us safe from foreign threats -- how??

As someone once put it, "Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 AM
 
Location: in the ground
375 posts, read 1,278,698 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to Bozeman City job requirement raises privacy concerns (http://bit.ly/ljjS2 - broken link), the City of Bozeman is asking for all your login and password information on your employment application:

"'Please list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.,” the City form states. There are then three lines where applicants can list the Web sites, their user names and log-in information and their passwords."


H/T: Big Sky Blog
Sorry that's illegal - just as asking for your race and religion. If they do a "proper" background check - they'll find all of that and more. But they are cheap and do anything more than a police report.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Montana
1,219 posts, read 2,938,301 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I could smell the jet fuel from that post. Nothing like JP4 or 5 burning up.
I love that smell. (I settle for AVgas when I can afford to go flying these days..)
JP4 and even diesel burning reminds me of early mornings back in the day when all the vehicles and equipment were warming up at the motorpool. good times indeed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,928 posts, read 4,814,190 times
Reputation: 1303
As an outsider, I'm surprised that a state like Montana would ask for this type of information. I always viewed Montana as a state and its people as fiercely independent and suspicious of big brother. I feel the same way.

Hey, there's a workaround to this request. Don't put down the sites that you don't want to show them or create some fake ids for them. This might not be perfect, but that way they'll have something for their records.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,843 posts, read 13,480,157 times
Reputation: 3386
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
As an outsider, I'm surprised that a state like Montana would ask for this type of information. I always viewed Montana as a state and its people as fiercely independent and suspicious of big brother. I feel the same way.

Hey, there's a workaround to this request. Don't put down the sites that you don't want to show them or create some fake ids for them. This might not be perfect, but that way they'll have something for their records.
Sure you could, but whenever you do a workaround like this, you've done TWO wrong things instead of just succumbing to ONE wrong thing:

1) You've given in to Big Brother, and

2) You've compromised your own integrity.

(And an employer thinks: "If you're willing to lie about this, what else might you lie about?")
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,928 posts, read 4,814,190 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Sure you could, but whenever you do a workaround like this, you've done TWO wrong things instead of just succumbing to ONE wrong thing:

1) You've given in to Big Brother, and

2) You've compromised your own integrity.

(And an employer thinks: "If you're willing to lie about this, what else might you lie about?")
Sure, I've given a fake account to big brother - big deal. If I don't get the job, I'll change the password. If I do get the job, I'll change the password after I'm hired on. On your second point, they compromised their integrity by asking for such information - right back at them.

Besides, most onlines sites I have multiple ids anyway. One for taking care of regular business, the other for everything else. Unless they ask for ALL logon ids, you're not doing anything wrong. Give no more than what is asked for; any lawyer will tell you that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Montana
1,219 posts, read 2,938,301 times
Reputation: 687
Or, a person could just refuse to give out their passwords, explaining their concerns about privacy. Seems more honest to me than lying about it. Maybe they would respect your integrity and waive the requirement.

Actually, after all the press Bozeman stopped this practice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Gallatin Valley
500 posts, read 1,295,034 times
Reputation: 438
Thank goodness they stopped.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top