Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times

Advertisements

Nice!
Now we are off topic but is that a C-130/Hercules?
A long time ago I moved a MASH unit off one. It was when we were changing over from tents to inflatables.
Ok, just dated myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
So when is the Big Day? Or did it go by already and we didn't notice?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Bozeman Montana Local News (http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2009/08/13/news/000line.txt - broken link)
This was the only thing I could locate.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Bozeman Montana Local News (http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2009/08/13/news/000line.txt - broken link)
This was the only thing I could locate.
[goes off, reads article] Quote:
So it should come as no surprise that people would be willing to camp out all night Wednesday to get tickets to see President Barack Obama, who’s planning to hold a town hall meeting on health care reform Friday at Gallatin Field airport.

By 5:20 p.m. Wednesday, there were 14 people in line outside Bozeman City Hall, where hundreds of tickets were to be given away, two to a customer, at 9 a.m. today. The other distribution point was Belgrade City Hall.
[croggle] Tickets? TICKETS??

Okay, I understand crowd control, but ... I've never heard of tickets to see a public office holder in a public place. They didn't need tickets for crowd control when the airshow included the Blue Angels and half the county came to watch; why on earth would the Big O need a restriction like this??

[cynical little voice] Because it'll give 'em fingerprints for everyone who shows up. [/cynical little voice]

Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM

I attempted to take my kidos when they were small to see Prez Clinton when he came Portland one year, that was pre monica of course, I viewed it as a civics lesson.
We were there early, they handed out tickects and cattle chuted us into an area.
I think it is a form of crowd control, Lots of standing and waiting. My kidos couldn't see a thing
Is the air field in a pretty spot? I think Helena is a nice spot for a plane to land, I enjoyed the view when I was there last year.
I would be more excited to see AF One land than anything

Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Tickets? TICKETS??

Okay, I understand crowd control, but ... I've never heard of tickets to see a public office holder in a public place.

It's been reported that 70% of the tickets are to be given out on a random basis to those who go online and sign up for them while the other 30% of the tickets will go to elected Democratic office holders and party stalwarts.

This means that 65% (70% X .5 = 35% + 30% = 65%) of the ticket holders will be Democrats and 35% (70% X .5 = 35%) will be Republicans, or something like that.

This is what happened in Portsmouth, NH, and why Obama had such a friendly audience for that townhall meeting earlier this week.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 PM

Hmm. Stacking the deck, as it were. Well, as Walter says that's one way to ensure a friendly audience. Why am I not surprised?

Okay, so there were tickets to see Clinton in Portland... anyone know of any others that required tickets? Two isn't quite a pattern, but ......

Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Is the air field in a pretty spot? I think Helena is a nice spot for a plane to land, I enjoyed the view when I was there last year.
I would be more excited to see AF One land than anything
It's flat, on a glacial rockbed (if you dig down you'll only get about 6 inches before you hit a solidly packed layer of smooth 6" stones, like river-bottom stones), but centrally located so you can see just about every feature of the whole Gallatin Valley, in every direction. Great long views especially to the south and west, hills and mountains a bit closer to the north and east, and the slight rise of Bozeman to the southeast. Not too different from Helena airport, except which direction the mountains are closer.

It would be fun to see AF One land, just to know you'd seen it once in your lifetime, with your own eyes. It's not the same secondhand (TV or whatever), for sure.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM

It is interesting that they would be handing them out in advance, the time I refered to was a get there and stand situation, maybe so they could get a head count or someting. Now that I am older and wiser, I would hesitate to have a kid in a crowd, not just because of the POTUS but just because the way of the world now.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
It's flat, on a glacial rockbed (if you dig down you'll only get about 6 inches before you hit a solidly packed layer of smooth 6" stones, like river-bottom stones), but centrally located so you can see just about every feature of the whole Gallatin Valley, in every direction. Great long views especially to the south and west, hills and mountains a bit closer to the north and east, and the slight rise of Bozeman to the southeast. Not too different from Helena airport, except which direction the mountains are closer.

It would be fun to see AF One land, just to know you'd seen it once in your lifetime, with your own eyes. It's not the same secondhand (TV or whatever), for sure.
I really love planes, did you see this post I happen to catch today?
//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...ok-awhile.html
Go to post 2 Beautiful!
It was in the new post notice, I hardly ever go over to Oregon Forum anymore, the Portland mayor thing is beyond belief, glad I am not paying his wage anymore.

Any way your politics go there is a real measure of pride I think you would feel seeing AF One in person.
Doesn't the call sign alternate as to which one he is on? I saw a show once and I think that is what they were saying, and it doesn't have that designation until he is on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman