U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:54 AM

23 posts, read 82,111 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the help! I looked up Lewistown and it looks quite nice, however it'd be a ways to a larger town for more work. I looked up the newspaper classifieds and rent seems very reasonable, and really it seems like the perfect size. What about Deer Lodge or Anaconda? That area is a bit more populated, and more people equals more houses which means more work...What would the drive from Deer Lodge to Helena be like? Also, what is the economy based on in Lewistown? I know that's a lot of questions but any help is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM

6,229 posts, read 7,163,031 times
Lewistown is primarilly agriculture based with some other trades including the Yogo Sapphire operation.
There is a new wind farm just to the southwest at Judith Gap there might be some maintenance positions open for, but I have no direct knowledge of that.

It actually isn't that far from Great Falls or Billings. In Montana, any drive under 2 hours is in the neighborhood.

Deer Lodge is a beautiful little town, home of the State Prison. It is about an hour from Helena over Mac Pass. The pass can be fun in the winter!

Anaconda is right next to the Pintler Mountain Range. It used to be the site of the smelters for the copper ore coming out of Butte. The smelter is closed and to be completely honest I don't know of a primary industry in Anaconda right now. There is agriculture, Butte has been doing some limited mining so there are a few jobs there, Reclaimation of the old mine sites and tailings is big business in the area right now, but that is because it is a superfund site so once the federal money runs out......

There are a lot of guides and hunting/fishing and dude ranches with day rides in the area, and fishing on Georgetown Lake.
There were a lot of McMansions being built over there, but with the economy in the toilet a lot of the folks who were building their vacation homes are out of work now.

Logging is shut down, mining is very limited, agriculture isn't doing really good right now, so between the two I would say Deer Lodge with the prison and State Department of Motor Vehicles there is some work base there, but limited.

Hope that helps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman