Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:25 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,178 times

Advertisements

I hope all is going well for you and your family.
Sad that some have to be so negative about everything!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
I hope all is going well for you and your family.
Sad that some have to be so negative about everything!!!!
Thank you Amy

Well I did not see the post, so my comment is a generalized response.

I understand that people get protective of their homes, and when someone moves in and trys to change things, and not necessarily for the good, people get defensive. The newbies are NOT welcome, they are NOT wanted, and those NEWBIES should stay in their home states and change anything they want. And I would feel exactly the same way if it were my home.

But for the most part I believe that people will accept or reject visitors or new residents based on that individuals actions. If they are friendly, outgoing and respectful they will be treated accordingly. If they are arrogant, and disrespectful and are ignored or not treated well, I think they had it coming. You reep what you sow. I would expect it to be no other way, and that goes for any place not just MT. Except for AL - (don't mean to offend, just saying), I have lived in seven states and was always treated nicely and accepted for who I was. AL - I was the "Yankee" on the corner, and probably would never have been accepted, even though I have some deep Southern roots in my family.

You have to be getting more and more excited every day. I suspect you have a million things running through your mind concerning your own upcoming move. It is going to be a wonderful adventure for you and your family. I expect only good things for you.

You take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Well it appears that we have found a wonderful A family in Billings bought it when their three daughters were students at Montana State. It will be just under 4 miles to where my daughter will be working. 1 block from the bus stop.
We just have to do the paperwork, along with her two room mates, and get a deposit check mailed out.
Not celebrating till we have all the paperwork done. But I have a really good feeling about it.

I am thrilled about not having to search for used furniture in mid-January than haul it to the apartment.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 AM

Two more weeks till we arrive in Bozeman. We could use a couple of good room mates to share a three bedroom - two bath - furnished condo with a new college graduate. Condo is great - has all utilities included even cable and internet - washer / dryer, dishwasher, off road parking. Association even plows the drive. $450 a month.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Hello

Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Two more weeks till we arrive in Bozeman. We could use a couple of good room mates to share a three bedroom - two bath - furnished condo with a new college graduate. Condo is great - has all utilities included even cable and internet - washer / dryer, dishwasher, off road parking. Association even plows the drive. $450 a month.
In roommates, you are almost certainly going to be stuck with short-termers, it's the nature of the roommate thing -- always either temporaries like students, or people looking to get up and out of their current limited finances, who won't stay any longer than they have to. (I recall you had another post somewhere about that.)

Since utilities are entirely included, you won't have the usual roomie thing of stiffing you on the last month's utils when they do move out. I would require a deposit tho (same as a month's rent), cuz otherwise you're going to find the occasional roomie who moves out without paying that last month's rent (they may not *intend* to stiff you, but it happens, a lot). And that's just the nature of the age and financial group that makes up the majority of the roommate demographic -- mostly students trying to save a buck and not needing to care if they burn a few bridges.

BTW do make sure the in-house phone, if any, does NOT have any long-distance service; if it does, you WILL get stuck with someone else's bills. Let 'em each get their own cell phones or do without.

Anyway, with that all in mind, at $450/mo. all inclusive, you should be able to attract some decent student renters.

Side note: it may make parents bristle, but I found it's generally better to have roommates of opposite genders -- winds up being less friction, and you see less of each other too so it doesn't feel so much like forced sharing of space. Worst household for interpersonal friction and no one doing their share of chores is one that's all girls.

(When my last roommate moved out when I was in Bozeman, I decided to eat the whole rent instead of getting new roomies, cuz it was just not worth the trouble! And to think ... when I lived there ca. 1973, rent for the whole house was just $90/month and all utils came to less than $10/mo. even in winter!)

Old 01-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
In roommates, you are almost certainly going to be stuck with short-termers, it's the nature of the roommate thing -- always either temporaries like students, or people looking to get up and out of their current limited finances, who won't stay any longer than they have to. (I recall you had another post somewhere about that.)

Since utilities are entirely included, you won't have the usual roomie thing of stiffing you on the last month's utils when they do move out. I would require a deposit tho (same as a month's rent), cuz otherwise you're going to find the occasional roomie who moves out without paying that last month's rent (they may not *intend* to stiff you, but it happens, a lot). And that's just the nature of the age and financial group that makes up the majority of the roommate demographic -- mostly students trying to save a buck and not needing to care if they burn a few bridges.

BTW do make sure the in-house phone, if any, does NOT have any long-distance service; if it does, you WILL get stuck with someone else's bills. Let 'em each get their own cell phones or do without.

Anyway, with that all in mind, at $450/mo. all inclusive, you should be able to attract some decent student renters.

Side note: it may make parents bristle, but I found it's generally better to have roommates of opposite genders -- winds up being less friction, and you see less of each other too so it doesn't feel so much like forced sharing of space. Worst household for interpersonal friction and no one doing their share of chores is one that's all girls.

(When my last roommate moved out when I was in Bozeman, I decided to eat the whole rent instead of getting new roomies, cuz it was just not worth the trouble! And to think ... when I lived there ca. 1973, rent for the whole house was just $90/month and all utils came to less than $10/mo. even in winter!)
Wow, wish we could get those 1973 prices back.

I appreciate the tips about the room mates. I have hopeful that we can find a room mate.

I have mixed feelings about the phone, it has been suggested that I do a voice over internet, like Scype or Magic Jack. That way there are no monthly long distance charges. I definately need to do something other than the cell phone, the minutes are going to get out of hand. A land line with no long distance makes good sense. She can get calls without killing her cell phone minutes.

She is not opposed to male room mates. But we need to figure out a room mate agreement that addresses things like parties, noise, paying rent late. (hate doing that, but unfortunataly if it is not written down, everyone remembers things differently).

Have a Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2010, 05:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about the phone, it has been suggested that I do a voice over internet, like Scype or Magic Jack. That way there are no monthly long distance charges. I definately need to do something other than the cell phone, the minutes are going to get out of hand. A land line with no long distance makes good sense. She can get calls without killing her cell phone minutes.

She is not opposed to male room mates. But we need to figure out a room mate agreement that addresses things like parties, noise, paying rent late. (hate doing that, but unfortunataly if it is not written down, everyone remembers things differently).
I speak from bitter experience about the long distance. I got stiffed with a departing roommate's LD more than once, and that last month always seems to have more than its share of LD calls. A landline with no outgoing LD works fine for incoming LD, so as you say a way to preserve those expensive cellphone minutes (tho some cellphone companies have no charge after prime time if you're calling someone on the same network).

I haven't tried Scype or Magic Jack, don't know how well they work or whether they'd be really suitable for this situation.

Absolutely about the rental agreement. Remember to include stuff like smoking and drugs, if that's important to you.

And don't forget.... HAPPY FLAMIN' NEW YEAR!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:10 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,023 times
Quote:
When other kids were partying their way through college, she was volunteering in the Elementary school to help teach under privalaged children to read. When she had her first job at 15 working at a movie theater, she took her money at Christmas and bought some clothes and a bicycle for child that was listed with the Salvation Army.
Geez, that just brought tears to my eyes and I'm a guy! What a sweet young woman, and thank god for people like her. She's got a bright future.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:42 PM

216 posts, read 641,102 times
Magic Jack works but you have to leave your computer on to use it and it is very staticy. My mom had it - got rid of it cause it sucks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman