Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:49 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,968 times

Advertisements

My daughter will graduate from college in December and has accepted a one year assignment working with AmeriCorp in Bozeman, MT.
She will need to share an apartment or rent a room as her income is very limited.
She will also need to get a vehicle there that is suited for the severe weather and learn how to drive and survive. This is all new to her as we have hurricanes not blizzards.
Any tips, hints and advice will be appreciated. Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Glad you got yourself here, now here is hoping our friendly forum can help a worried mom!

Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 AM

317 posts, read 1,090,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
She will also need to get a vehicle there that is suited for the severe weather and learn how to drive and survive.
Are you sure she will need a car? I lived in Bozeman for 5 years while going to college without a car and did fine, as well as many other stuents did. If she gets an apartment close to town (not hard), she can walk to the grocery store. I don't know where AmericCorps job sites are or if she can carpool with coworkers.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 125,486 times
Default Bozeman

We hope your daughter enjoys her year in Bozeman, and if possible, you should look to visit while she is living there.

I agree that public transportation might be the way to go. Or finding a rental near the place of employment. Unlike larger cities throughout the country, Bozeman offers a safe walk from any location (i.e. there are not neighborhoods that you don't want your daughter walking through). Keep in mind, however, that rent in Bozeman tends to be higher than normal, depending on what type of market one is moving from. Rentals will likely be private party, or local management agencies, but not the showcase apartment communities you find in larger cities with boatloads of amenities. A renter should always take a look at the place itself before moving in. Also, Bozeman is a college town, so any roommate ads are usually responded to in August when students begin to plan to relocate.

The only downside to not having a car is the cold winter weather. Walking may not be an option depending on how far the walk is. I should point out, however, that owning a car in winter weather is also sometimes a major downside. Roads get icy, car engines have to be plugged in (block heater) and shoveled out, and cold weather takes its toll on every working part of your automobile.

Overall, Bozeman will very likely prove to be a great experience.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 PM

I appreciate the advice and information on the area.

No she will definately need a car, her actual assignment will be working with Head Start Programs in a 4 county area. Not sure how often she will have to visit the other schools, but she has been assured if there is bad weather forecast, they don't expect her to hit the roads to the other schools.

I plan on coming out with her in January and help her get settled. Than I would like my husband and I to come back in June or July as tourists and enjoy the area.

I have been reading the Bozeman paper online including the Police Reports, and Bozeman seems like a nice safe town. I am sure she is going to love the town. And even though her safety while driving in the MT weather is a concern, she will be ok if she is prepared and has respect for the weather and road conditions.

So... a 4 wheel drive vehicle, with a block heater, snow chains and a serious emergency kit seems in order.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times
Honestly I could not imagine not owning a car around here. Walking or biking through -30 degree windchills? No thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM

She is going to need some serious winter clothes. Here is a good place to start.
Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
She is going to need some serious winter clothes. Here is a good place to start.
Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices.
Thank you for the site. She is about to learn the art of layering.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 PM

LOL!
coming from a transplant, the weather will be one of the things that is big to deal with. What are the counties she will be working with?

Old 11-07-2009, 03:53 AM

Not sure.

We are making arrangements to buy a 4WD vehicle for her there. We are watching the Apt. Rentals, Apt. Share & Rent a Room ads in the Bozeman paper. We have asked AmeriCorp to give her contact information to others slated to arrive in the area at the same time. She will need to have room mates as the pay scale is about $800 a month before taxes and that will barely pay the rent on an apartment before utilities, food and laudry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman