Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times

Advertisements

And you are very welcome! The weather thread here on the forum is usefull also, there is currentlly a watch in the Boz area, Elk Hunter keeps us up to date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

In looking back at some of the posts in this thread.......I don't understand the aversion to this inexperienced young lady having an AWD vehicle with studded snows. Come on now......why not give her every advantage she can have when driving in conditions that may "overwhelm" her. I did say "MAY" overwhelm...............
........Reedsmit.........

In re-reading the above, I can see how you may have thought it was directed toward you and/or your posts....................it was not.

In re-reading some of the other posts in this thread (not yours), it appeared to me that possibly one or more of the well-meaning contributors thought an AWD vehicle was not necessarily that important for your daughter's safe travel and comfort level.
If my impression was in-correct....I am sorry.......I simply wanted to convey, that in my assessment of this situarion, she should have every advantage possible, to off-set her: #1:total lack of experience related to winter driving in Montana; #2: her lack of familiarity with ANY of the roads she will be on---particularily since she will be driving over to Helena and back during some hours of darkness and #3: being thrust into a "totally foreign enviroment", which in and of itself will (IMHO) be a major hurdle.

In other words: "The less Stress....the better".

Again, these are just my opinions.......and should be taken as such.

Edit: I would be remiss in not sincerely saying: You should be very proud of your daughter.......in my estimation, this is a 'major undertaking' and requires "a lot of guts, determination and intelligence." I wish her the best of luck.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 11-10-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: One last comment...........

Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Here is another example of the "gentlemen" here God bless them.
Here is a funny story.
Few years back I called over to Billings before I moved to Montana to ask why all the cars had these "Plugs" hanging out of the front. Well I was summarily lectured by an older fellow about the hazards of winter driving in Montana.
Mind you this was a cold call about a house I saw on line.
Tell your daughter that folks in Montana are.. very up-front with you. And if anyone invites her over for coffee, go. It is a social event.
Also she should have some information on traveling through the reservations and the particulars on how things works there. I do not want to sound offensive but the crime is higher and there are more medical events. The house I was calling about was in close proximity to one of these areas and the fellow explained many things that I might face living there to me, and he was the realtor.
Good luck and keep checking in.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,508 times

Love the story. It seems you have found your home and have fit in very well.

I understand about not turning down those invitations.

I enjoy genealogy research, so about 10 years ago, my mom and I made a trip to KY, where the family was from originally. I had been in touch by email with some cousins (who I never met) that would be in town at the same time for a reunion.

So we get a knock on the hotel room door, a man is standing there, we introduced ourselves and spent the next two hours visiting with he and his wife. Before they left, he asked what our plans were the next day as he wanted to invite us to breakfast

We accepted, saying that would be wonderful and we would all go together to the family cemeteries and a 150 year old Log Cabin that was still owned by a distant cousin. Than he tells us that we were going to someone's house for breakfast, and that they had just met them earlier that day.

I tried to figure out a way to not intrude on these people; but was told don't worry they are just old country folks.

It was a great day and I am glad I didn't wiggle out of it.

I will be sure to let my daughter know about invites.

Someone recommended reading a book named Winter Wheat, have you read it?

Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Again, these are just my opinions.......and should be taken as such.

They may be your opinions, but they are words of wisdom. And I am listening carefully.

Edit: I would be remiss in not sincerely saying: You should be very proud of your daughter.......in my estimation, this is a 'major undertaking' and requires "a lot of guts, determination and intelligence." I wish her the best of luck.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. They are appreciated.

Last edited by Reedsmit; 11-11-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: posted before comments were added

Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
[b]
Thank you for your kind thoughts. They are appreciated.
You are welcome.
__________________________________________________ _______________

I believe I remember you posting that you have lived in Florida, in the Jupiter area, for about 30 years. The following might be interesting to you.

In January of 1955 (5 months after my late wife and I were married), my Dad's brother, Bill, gave my wife and I a belated wedding present......a "pre-paid" one day trip on a large (about 35' long) cabin type boat. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember it was "up" one of the branches of the Loxahatche (sp?) River. We drove south on Hwy A1A, from Stuart, FL, (where we were staying in a "house-keeping cabin") to a very little community called Tequesta and turned right on to a gravel road (for about a mile), that ended at the water's edge. There was the boat and a man about 65 who said: your uncle said to show you some gators, get you some fishin' and feed you good.

We had a great trip up that river and saw what was really some very un-touched "Everglade type" country. We did see a bunch of gators and turtles and caught a lot of fish that were black and white and shaped like a Crappie.
Unfortunately, we never got back down to that area again.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
You are welcome.
__________________________________________________ _______________

I believe I remember you posting that you have lived in Florida, in the Jupiter area, for about 30 years. The following might be interesting to you.

In January of 1955 (5 months after my late wife and I were married), my Dad's brother, Bill, gave my wife and I a belated wedding present......a "pre-paid" one day trip on a large (about 35' long) cabin type boat. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember it was "up" one of the branches of the Loxahatche (sp?) River. We drove south on Hwy A1A, from Stuart, FL, (where we were staying in a "house-keeping cabin") to a very little community called Tequesta and turned right on to a gravel road (for about a mile), that ended at the water's edge. There was the boat and a man about 65 who said: your uncle said to show you some gators, get you some fishin' and feed you good.

We had a great trip up that river and saw what was really some very un-touched "Everglade type" country. We did see a bunch of gators and turtles and caught a lot of fish that were black and white and shaped like a Crappie.
Unfortunately, we never got back down to that area again.
Small world. I live in that little town of Tequesta. More people know where Jupiter is than Tequesta. Jupiter being on the south side of the Loxahatchee and Tequesta on the north side.

The Tequesta were Indians. The mound that the lighthouse sits on is actually a garbage dump of sea shells left by the Indians. There were also Indian wars here with the Seminoles. General Lauderdale fought in them and started his trek southward to what is now Ft. Lauderdale named after him.

During the Civil War the mirrors were removed from the Light house and buried in the swamp so ships could not navigate off them.

The area is still beautiful, we still have our beautiful lighthouse at the inlet and our beaches. Johnathan Dickinson park covers about 12,000 acres and is pretty much as it always has been, and is protected. And the Loxahatchee River is still a wonderful place for Boats, Canoes and Kayaks, we even get a Seaplane from time to time. The sea turtles such as the Leatherback and Hawks Bill still nest on our beaches. They are protected from poachers, the Turtle eggs are a delicacy. Fishing is still great, lots of Yellow Tail Snapper, Daulphin, Grouper and others.

The area has grown and changed a lot in the time I have been here. The beautiful Scrub Pines near the Ocean have been cut down for housing developments. But it still has that small town feel and is a nice place to raise a family.

Enjoy your evening.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Small world. I live in that little town of Tequesta. More people know where Jupiter is than Tequesta. Jupiter being on the south side of the Loxahatchee and Tequesta on the north side.

The Tequesta were Indians. The mound that the lighthouse sits on is actually a garbage dump of sea shells left by the Indians. There were also Indian wars here with the Seminoles. General Lauderdale fought in them and started his trek southward to what is now Ft. Lauderdale named after him.

During the Civil War the mirrors were removed from the Light house and buried in the swamp so ships could not navigate off them.

The area is still beautiful, we still have our beautiful lighthouse at the inlet and our beaches. Johnathan Dickinson park covers about 12,000 acres and is pretty much as it always has been, and is protected. And the Loxahatchee River is still a wonderful place for Boats, Canoes and Kayaks, we even get a Seaplane from time to time. The sea turtles such as the Leatherback and Hawks Bill still nest on our beaches. They are protected from poachers, the Turtle eggs are a delicacy. Fishing is still great, lots of Yellow Tail Snapper, Daulphin, Grouper and others.

The area has grown and changed a lot in the time I have been here. The beautiful Scrub Pines near the Ocean have been cut down for housing developments. But it still has that small town feel and is a nice place to raise a family.

Enjoy your evening.
Thank you for the information...........I have often wondered if that area had been developed beyoud belief. It's good to hear that at least those 12,000 Acres are able to retain some of the natural beauty I remember from almost 55 years ago.............................. Griz

Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
My daughter will graduate from college in December and has accepted a one year assignment working with AmeriCorp in Bozeman, MT.

Any tips, hints and advice will be appreciated. Thank you everyone.
I just remembered......there is a Publishing firm in Bozeman (ULTIMATE PRESS ), that has produced "The Ultimate MONTANA Atlas and Travel Encyclopedia". I think they are now into their 3rd Edition. I have the 2nd Edition which is 570 pages. It is truly the BEST source for ALL TYPES of info related to Montana.... In section #5, there are 20 pages devoted to Bozeman alone, (not surprising since the publisher is located there). You can buy direct (Montana Vacations, Montana Hotels, Montana Travel, Montana Real Estate and More or go through Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

I suggest amazon.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Great thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman