U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM

93 posts, read 446,833 times

Advertisements

Relative to other places you have lived, how do you experience the wind in Bozeman? Is it seasonal? Particularly blustery?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 PM

317 posts, read 1,012,948 times
It's windy most of the time in Bozeman. I lived there for 5 years in college and the wind seemed to blow all the time. Not hard or particularly fast, but it wasn't calm very often either.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 AM

1,154 posts, read 4,235,763 times
Really? I don't think it's windy at all. Belgrade gets more wind, and Livingston gets a ton of it.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 AM

317 posts, read 1,012,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Really? I don't think it's windy at all. Belgrade gets more wind, and Livingston gets a ton of it.
Maybe it's different in other parts of Bozeman (where you have houses and trees). I lived on campus and the wind blew nearly all the time on campus. We didn't have a lot of obstacles and south of Bozeman is mainly agricultural, so the wind seemed to blow all the time.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:44 PM

7,908 posts, read 13,753,642 times
I'd call Bozeman "breezy" rather than windy. Great Falls is "windy" ...and Livingston is downright "cyclonic"!!

Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM

1,154 posts, read 4,235,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
Maybe it's different in other parts of Bozeman (where you have houses and trees). I lived on campus and the wind blew nearly all the time on campus. We didn't have a lot of obstacles and south of Bozeman is mainly agricultural, so the wind seemed to blow all the time.
That's a good point... campus is very flat and open and it does gust there much more than my hilly neighborhood.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:25 PM

93 posts, read 446,833 times
Thanks everyone! Here in NM we have one very windy season, spring, and do get fair wind other times of the year too, depends on the day. Yesterday was dead calm, today pretty windy. I think the wind agitates people. I think there have even been studies demonstrating that people behavior more erratically (and sometimes violently) during especially windy times. I know it makes me uneasy! I couldn't live in a place that had a constant, steady wind going every day.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM

Me, I like the wind. A little or a lot. (Well, so long as I don't have to drive against it, or fight sheets of plywood for dominance in it!) My grandmother liked it too. My mom hates it. My gram and I both were/are more inclined to go root around outdoors, my mom is an indoor person. Hmm...!!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 PM

18,696 posts, read 39,058,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parteira View Post
Thanks everyone! Here in NM we have one very windy season, spring, and do get fair wind other times of the year too, depends on the day. Yesterday was dead calm, today pretty windy. I think the wind agitates people. I think there have even been studies demonstrating that people behavior more erratically (and sometimes violently) during especially windy times. I know it makes me uneasy! I couldn't live in a place that had a constant, steady wind going every day.
What kind of winds are we talking about? To some that live up here, a 30 mile an hour wind is simply a breeze. When it gets up to around 40+, it is agitating. 70+ we start to wonder if it's going to snow with this.

So it's relative to what you're used to and what you can stand.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
What kind of winds are we talking about? To some that live up here, a 30 mile an hour wind is simply a breeze. When it gets up to around 40+, it is agitating. 70+ we start to wonder if it's going to snow with this.

So it's relative to what you're used to and what you can stand.
Haha, same here... we don't think it's "windy" til everything that's not nailed down, and some stuff that was, is on its way to Tucson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman