U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,599,615 times
Reputation: 760

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
What you men don't understand is that it's down when we #1 and #2 and down when you #2, it's only up when you #1. SOOOOO it should remain down since most of the time people are using it it needs to be DOWN.
What I do understand is, anyone who fusses about such petty crap is a pain in the #2 place and no one you need to be around the rest of your life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,472,016 times
Reputation: 5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Maples grow in Maine, Minnesota, and much of eastern Canada, so it's not that MT is too cold -- probably the limiting factor in MT is that it's drier, which may be why they're not more common. Box Elders are everywhere, tho, and they're essentially a trash maple. (Tho I like 'em, and the aphids they attract are offset by the ladybugs they also attract.) Sometimes trees that are real durable in one climate are brittle and unpleasant in another -- we see that with desert elms, they're very brittle compared to say, MT elms (when there were any).

What's the maple-like tree with the silvery velvet on the bottom of the leaves? (Not a silverleaf maple -- the tree I'm thinking of has maple-like leaves, but rounded rather than pointy.) One of my fave trees ever was one of these in Great Falls -- it was huge and had smooth grey-green bark all the way up. It also had limbs positioned perfectly for climbing. I spent a lot of time up in that tree!!

Some types of bamboo are real tough and can deal with winter just fine. We have trash bamboo here in the desert where it gets as cold as -10 and it seems to do well so long as it gets water til it's established (after that it doesn't need a lot). I stopped growing the stuff tho, because it seems to draw roof rats, and once you get THOSE in residence, you're screwed, no way to get rid of 'em. The more treelike bamboos shouldn't be so much of a problem, but I expect are not as tough. The trash bamboo is more like giant extra-leafy cornstalks.

Useless information about bamboo: it only blooms rarely, but when it does, all of a given species will bloom at the same time worldwide. Probably responds to sunspot cycles (I've noticed the local trash bamboo only blooms during peak sunspot cycles).
Nice info Reziac! And funny to boot, my kind of horticulture lesson.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,472,016 times
Reputation: 5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
What I do understand is, anyone who fusses about such petty crap is a pain in the #2 place and no one you need to be around the rest of your life.

No offence, but are you married Wingfoot? Trust me, the seat is the least of it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 PM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,599,615 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No offence, but are you married Wingfoot? Trust me, the seat is the least of it!
Widower, was married 42 yrs,wife was a HS Principal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,472,016 times
Reputation: 5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Widower, was married 42 yrs,wife was a HS Principal.
Well, my condolences, and apologies for the smartass comment. You know much more about that mind and heart-bending topic than I do.

Married 11 years here, and thankful for every moment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 AM
 
152 posts, read 304,524 times
Reputation: 108
Default Fiddlehead

I might be of some assistance. We are moving to MT from PDX. How large of a school do you need and what do you teach?

I traveled to every western state and South Dakota with the exception of New Mexico. I have studied the taxes, the cost of living, and have good knowledge of many locations.

Where else have you considered?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 AM
 
281 posts, read 787,608 times
Reputation: 315
If one is truly adverse to cold, then coming north may not be the best idea. If you're still picking the idea around in your brain, then it might be good to come up in the middle of winter and experience it for yourself.

My husband and I have seen so many people come up here, and they are packing up and going by end of summer to the beginning of fall. Our neighbors came up from California, and they were packing it in once the summer came. This past year, an apartment complex near the store we shop at ....literally all of the time, was plum full of people this summer. We drove by the other day, and there were at least 8 FOR RENT signs up in windows.

My husband is from California, but he had no problems with the first winter we were here. We both enjoy the cold. He likes Seattle weather too, so it was not so much of an adjustment for him. I have fared many years of midwestern winters, which to me, are far worse than anything I've experienced here (so far).

And I like cold snowy weather. It causes us to slow down even more. It is a relief, in comparison to the fast paced life in Ca.

I'm in the Bitterroot, Lolo area. Ripping thunderstorms? Well, sometimes. Last summer we got about 3 good ones. The summer before that, maybe one big one. I too love storms.

Gardening? I garden here just about the same as I have in the midwest. It's been doing very well.

The summers here may surprise you. It can get up to 100 for many days. Last summer we did not reach 100 at all, but the summer before that we were at 100 nearly every day for a month.

There's alot of things to take into consideration other than just cold weather here.

I have nothing against the hippies, buddhist, or pagans. But I do not care much for Missoula, as it has fallen into more of a mini "Berkeley" type of city. I've been in Berkeley, and do not care much for it.

I wish you luck, and hope you find the place you're looking for
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,854 posts, read 13,500,325 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Nice info Reziac! And funny to boot, my kind of horticulture lesson.
From the Obstacle Course School of Landscaping to your hapless eyeballs

Here's a newsletter that might be of interest -- short straightforward articles on various gardening topics:
IC-500(20) -- December 9, 2009 | Horticulture and Home Pest News
You can subscribe to the monthly "new issue" notifier here:
User account | Horticulture and Home Pest News

Also perhaps of interest to those who like to dig and delve in the dirt, the online edition of Archaeology Magazine! (With one of the few sane uses ever for javascript, clicking on an image brings up a nice zoom feature.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,472,016 times
Reputation: 5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
If one is truly adverse to cold, then coming north may not be the best idea. If you're still picking the idea around in your brain, then it might be good to come up in the middle of winter and experience it for yourself.

My husband and I have seen so many people come up here, and they are packing up and going by end of summer to the beginning of fall. Our neighbors came up from California, and they were packing it in once the summer came. This past year, an apartment complex near the store we shop at ....literally all of the time, was plum full of people this summer. We drove by the other day, and there were at least 8 FOR RENT signs up in windows.

My husband is from California, but he had no problems with the first winter we were here. We both enjoy the cold. He likes Seattle weather too, so it was not so much of an adjustment for him. I have fared many years of midwestern winters, which to me, are far worse than anything I've experienced here (so far).

And I like cold snowy weather. It causes us to slow down even more. It is a relief, in comparison to the fast paced life in Ca.

I'm in the Bitterroot, Lolo area. Ripping thunderstorms? Well, sometimes. Last summer we got about 3 good ones. The summer before that, maybe one big one. I too love storms.

Gardening? I garden here just about the same as I have in the midwest. It's been doing very well.

The summers here may surprise you. It can get up to 100 for many days. Last summer we did not reach 100 at all, but the summer before that we were at 100 nearly every day for a month.

There's alot of things to take into consideration other than just cold weather here.

I have nothing against the hippies, buddhist, or pagans. But I do not care much for Missoula, as it has fallen into more of a mini "Berkeley" type of city. I've been in Berkeley, and do not care much for it.

I wish you luck, and hope you find the place you're looking for
Thanks Heart! I definitely don't mind a bit of cold and snow, but my wife is pretty against it. We'll keep talking about it and kicking it around. If I do go there, I will be having a job interview in early February or so, so perfect from that perspective. Also, would have to send my wife and son out for a visit too. Definitely do not want to do move there and then move right away. I have a good job now, and I would not get it back if I left!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,472,016 times
Reputation: 5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's cathedral View Post
I might be of some assistance. We are moving to MT from PDX. How large of a school do you need and what do you teach?

I traveled to every western state and South Dakota with the exception of New Mexico. I have studied the taxes, the cost of living, and have good knowledge of many locations.

Where else have you considered?
Thanks for the offer Nature's Cathedral!
Well, I teach plant and wetland ecology and resource management. I don't expect I would have much choice in school size, but I like the midsized universities best. I have actually been to and love New Mexico, so any tips are welcome. I've neve lived in PDX, but I did spend several years in Corvallis, and now live in S. Oregon. Where are you moving in MT?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top