Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:19 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,637,580 times

Advertisements

FH show her this

Official State of Montana Vacation, Recreation, Accommodations and Travel Information Website

Life here on the eastern side is much like eastern Oregon except much colder. Boz is even different from here. I do miss my Japanese Maples. I had five different kinds in my yard in PDX as well as three types of bamboo.
The trade off?
Not paying those taxes so I can not use the light rail! Tell her that life is to live, and ya gotta try new things sometimes. BTW I have an in law in Bend and hubs graduated from SOU Good luck! IMP Oregon is going to soon be underwater at the state level.

Last edited by Mt-7; 12-14-2009 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: neatness counts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:49 AM

317 posts, read 1,087,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
FH show her this

Official State of Montana Vacation, Recreation, Accommodations and Travel Information Website

Life here on the eastern side is much like eastern Oregon except much colder. Boz is even different from here. I do miss my Japanese Maples. I had five different kinds in my yard in PDX as well as three types of bamboo.
The trade off?
Not paying those taxes so I can not use the light rail! Tell her that life is to live, and ya gotta try new things sometimes. BTW I have an in law in Bend and hubs graduated from SOU Good luck! IMP Oregon is going to soon be underwater at the state level.
Have you tried growing Japanese laceleaf maples and bamboo in Montana? My grandpa had bamboo in Missoula, so it can grow there. I don't know about Japanese maples, but ornamental maple trees do grow in MT and maybe Japanese maples can too.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM

8,084 posts, read 15,103,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Do you get some ripping thunderstorms? I miss those out here, but we get a few.

How do you all garden? Do many folks have a greenhouse/cold frame and plant out in early June? Can you squeeze out a tomato, or is that a dream? If not, what do you do? How about woodlots? Can you grow any trees there with a skiff of irrigation? Or is the water only for fightin?
LOL!! Yeah, we throw you into the pond and you turn blue.

Bozeman doesn't usually get much for thunderstorms, but west out in the flat part of the valley it can get some rippers. We got plenty at Belgrade. And out north of Manhattan, I've seen hail big enough to dent cars. My truck spent the summer of 1982 covered in pockmarks from a big hailstorm north of Manhattan (tho Ford's wonderful steel eventually flattened itself back out and now you can't see 'em at all!) Nothing like Minnesota hail tho, that can be softball-sized and will go right through a house roof.

Tomatos are a noxious weed and will grow anywhere Start 'em indoors so they're good-sized by the time the ground thaws, and be prepared to cover 'em for a few days during the annual June snowstorm. (No, I'm not kidding.) If you plant 'em in pots you can bring 'em indoors in the fall, and keep 'em going long enough to vine-ripen the last big crop. (Or pick 'em all and ripen 'em in paper bags.) Otherwise keep a good supply of old sheets to cover them at night during the early frosts.

When I was a kid I was my grandmother's garden slave, and we grew all sorts of stuff. The only things that really failed due to the short growing season were corn and watermelons. Squash was another non-crop, because for whatever reason they only produced male flowers. But tomatoes, green beans (another noxious weed), peas, carrots, onions, cucumbers, zucchini (remember, one zucchini plant can feed India!), leaf lettuce, radishes, asparagus (which grows wild in the alleys in Great Falls) -- these all did well.

Fruit trees that can grow in Bozeman: plums, chokecherries, apples, apricots, and believe it or not, lemons.

Q: Why do Montanans only lock their cars during August and September??
A: To prevent folks from leaving bags of zucchini in the back seat!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 AM

8,084 posts, read 15,103,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
Have you tried growing Japanese laceleaf maples and bamboo in Montana? My grandpa had bamboo in Missoula, so it can grow there. I don't know about Japanese maples, but ornamental maple trees do grow in MT and maybe Japanese maples can too.
Maples grow in Maine, Minnesota, and much of eastern Canada, so it's not that MT is too cold -- probably the limiting factor in MT is that it's drier, which may be why they're not more common. Box Elders are everywhere, tho, and they're essentially a trash maple. (Tho I like 'em, and the aphids they attract are offset by the ladybugs they also attract.) Sometimes trees that are real durable in one climate are brittle and unpleasant in another -- we see that with desert elms, they're very brittle compared to say, MT elms (when there were any).

What's the maple-like tree with the silvery velvet on the bottom of the leaves? (Not a silverleaf maple -- the tree I'm thinking of has maple-like leaves, but rounded rather than pointy.) One of my fave trees ever was one of these in Great Falls -- it was huge and had smooth grey-green bark all the way up. It also had limbs positioned perfectly for climbing. I spent a lot of time up in that tree!!

Some types of bamboo are real tough and can deal with winter just fine. We have trash bamboo here in the desert where it gets as cold as -10 and it seems to do well so long as it gets water til it's established (after that it doesn't need a lot). I stopped growing the stuff tho, because it seems to draw roof rats, and once you get THOSE in residence, you're screwed, no way to get rid of 'em. The more treelike bamboos shouldn't be so much of a problem, but I expect are not as tough. The trash bamboo is more like giant extra-leafy cornstalks.

Useless information about bamboo: it only blooms rarely, but when it does, all of a given species will bloom at the same time worldwide. Probably responds to sunspot cycles (I've noticed the local trash bamboo only blooms during peak sunspot cycles).

Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,797,901 times
Quote:
Howdy,

Checking back in to the Montana locals. I posted a few weeks back about Bozeman, but had second thoughts because my wife is scared of the cold and I am afraid it is another overpriced boomtown. But everything I hear about the city suggests it is still a great place to raise a child and enjoy the outdoors. Once again, if I went there, I'd be teaching at MSU. So, I would have a good, but modestly paying, gig. My wife works in human resources.

So, the questions. How do you deal with winter there, and how would a couple S. Oregonians cope? I am guessing, we would deal with about two more months of winter, with more sun, and some bitter spells. True? And summers would be nice.

Also, is it possible to buy a home there yet without all the real estate bubble garbage keeping prices in the stratosphere? Are you still overrun by Californians? We certainly are here in Ashland, so I would not want to sell my tiny house here for another overpriced shack out there. Seems like that could be a risk. Ideally, I'd like to get a nice solid home in a good neighborhood for under $250k. Is that still possible? Also, is there more to the local culture than exurban poseurs? We are nearly completely overrun with Volvo-driving, yoga, buddhist, vegan, pagan, hippy types around here, telecommuting from their $700k feng shui palaces. I really don't mind them, but it would be nice to meet someone who did NOT make a killing in Coastal California. They live in a different reality from me, a working stiff. I just want a decent deal in a nice place, not competing with the bubble bandits.

In any case, if I get an offer from MSU, I will need ammo to convince the better half. Your advice is appreciated!
If she leaves you because of THIS, consider yourself fortunate to be rid of her.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:56 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,724,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
If she leaves you because of THIS, consider yourself fortunate to be rid of her.
Ok, sure. I have given her plenty of other reasons, so no use pushing it..

"Toilet seat up, socks on the floor, AND -30! I'm outta here!!!!"

Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM

216 posts, read 639,687 times
Lol!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,637,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
The wind plays heck with any leaf bearing tree over here. Willows, Cottonwood are common. I am sure you can baby any maple along on the western side.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,797,901 times
Quote:

Ok, sure. I have given her plenty of other reasons, so no use pushing it..

"Toilet seat up, socks on the floor, AND -30! I'm outta here!!!!"
As I told my SO, you can put it down as easy as I can put it up so shut up.
Man up.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM

216 posts, read 639,687 times
What you men don't understand is that it's down when we #1 and #2 and down when you #2, it's only up when you #1. SOOOOO it should remain down since most of the time people are using it it needs to be DOWN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman