Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:53 PM

73 posts, read 136,408 times

Advertisements

need some help people... i am looking to move to the melbourne palm bay areas. and want to know everything about the area.. i am marryed and have no kids just pet ... is the area pet friendly also how is the area's how is the ecmony . thriving or not? is it good for marryed couples?
i want to know everything i want to rent a house price is 1200-1400 a month what areas would be nice in that price range? need help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I too am moving there soon (Brevard County), and have researched the heck out of it. It's a really nice area of Florida, kind of quiet (which I'm looking for) but about an hour from Orlando/Disney World. The area has anything you'd need in terms of services...a few nice shopping malls/centers, good grocery stores, nice restaurants, etc. etc. The beaches of course are a big draw. The Canaveral National Seashore is beautiful! The economy is pretty much like most of the country, not the greatest and many people living there think it's the worst, but in reality slightly above the national average for unemployment. There is talk of what will happen when the Space Program starts laying off, but that appears to be gradual and not a massive layoff. The area is not pet unfriendly and you'll find some rentals that don't allow pets, but it's not any different than elsewhere. For town choices, there are a few.

Melbourne is a little smaller than Palm Bay in terms of population , but contains almost all of the social/recreational activity options. The west side of Melbourne is nicest, some of the east side can be kind of rough, especially the University Blvd area east of Florida Tech's campus. Melbourne has a very established feel about it, and in your price range you'll be able to find some nice single family homes in well-kept-up neighborhoods.

Palm Bay is pretty much a giant suburb, and divided into quadrants...NW, NE, SW, SE. The Northeast side is not very nice and you'd probably want to avoid living there. SE and SW (the SW in particular) are the least populated and to me the nicest areas, lots of trees and kind of quiet....almost rural. A downside to Palm Bay apparently is the crime rate. Not violent crime as much as petty crimes, break-ins/vandalism etc. due to the lack of amenities for teenagers and the isolated aspect of some neighborhoods (no one around to watch your house when you're not home). Otherwise, you'll find plenty in your price range to choose from.

Satellite Beach would be my recommendation if you'd like to find something close to the beach in your price range. The town is 15 minutes NE of Melbourne on the peninsula. It has a nice old-Florida (1960s-1970s) feel about it and is quite pet-friendly. Satellite Beach also has the only dog park in the area...City of Satellite Beach (http://www.satellitebeach.org/Recreation/RecDogHome.htm - broken link).

Hope this helps! Brevard County is an overlooked area of Florida (which isn't a bad thing probably) and I think you'll find it a great place to live.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM

73 posts, read 136,408 times
thank you for your post. it was very helpful. i still wish to take my dog to the beach. but the area looks and sounds nice. do you know anything about cocoa beach? and can you fly out of melbourne intl airport anywhere?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Most Florida beaches do not allow dogs, however beaches that are state parks do (if the dog is on a leash). Sebastian Inlet State Park which is about 30 minutes south of Melbourne/Palm Bay is the closest.Cocoa Beach is very nice, and would highly recommend it as a place to live. Melbourne International has two airlines (Delta and USAir) which offer a few flights a day each. Delta flies nonstop to Atlanta and connects to wherever you want. USAir flies nonstop to Charlotte and similarly has tons of connections. Flying out of Melbourne is a touch more expensive than flying to/from Orlando but with much less hassle in terms of driving/parking and navigating long security lines, etc. If you can deal with the major lack of nonstop flights it's well worth it.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,595 times
Hey. I live in Palm Bay and must say, the place is not great for economy. But there are some new stores in some plazas that are hiring and Goodwill is also hiring. If you have a choice I would choose Melbourne. It is Nicer and cleaner. It has better shopping also, but it also depends where in Palm Bay you live. I would recomend Hield road. It is Palm Bay and Melbourne. It is really pretty. Also great houses. It is also is a great location for pets. Palm Bay can be very shady if you aren't careful. My advice if you are walking in a public place in the sketchy part of Palm Bay in the evening, well don't walk around sketchy Palm Bay in the evening. Be selective of neighborhoods, make sure you have a good job lined up, do research on neighborhoods, and know what you are getting when you move here, and you will do just fine. Just some advice, it is not all sand and surf. Good luck. - Bella Nicole

Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Nicole View Post
Hey. I live in Palm Bay and must say, the place is not great for economy. But there are some new stores in some plazas that are hiring and Goodwill is also hiring. If you have a choice I would choose Melbourne. It is Nicer and cleaner. It has better shopping also, but it also depends where in Palm Bay you live. I would recomend Hield road. It is Palm Bay and Melbourne. It is really pretty. Also great houses. It is also is a great location for pets. Palm Bay can be very shady if you aren't careful. My advice if you are walking in a public place in the sketchy part of Palm Bay in the evening, well don't walk around sketchy Palm Bay in the evening. Be selective of neighborhoods, make sure you have a good job lined up, do research on neighborhoods, and know what you are getting when you move here, and you will do just fine. Just some advice, it is not all sand and surf. Good luck. - Bella Nicole
Can I ask where sketchy sections of Palm Bay are? I would be much more afraid to walk in a whole bunch of areas in Melbourne, myself. I also think Palm Bay is cleaner and just seems so new and pretty compared to most of the older sections of Melbourne.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshotof View Post
need some help people... i am looking to move to the melbourne palm bay areas. and want to know everything about the area.. i am marryed and have no kids just pet ... is the area pet friendly also how is the area's how is the ecmony . thriving or not? is it good for marryed couples?
i want to know everything i want to rent a house price is 1200-1400 a month what areas would be nice in that price range? need help
It depends on what you mean by pet friendly. There are leash laws in the county so you will need to keep dog tied up out in the yard or have a fence. There are stiff fines if animal control is called if dog is on the loose. And we love it if the dog owner carries pooper scoopers to clean up the messes they leave in our yards.

Most rentals will charge a deposit in addition to regular deposit and rent if you have pets. My son pays a $350 pet deposit in addition to first month amount (regular deposit) for his rental. Depending on breed of dog the deposit might be higher because for some breeds home owners insurance requires you buy a million dollar liability policy.

For 1200-1400 a month you could get a big house and yard in Palm Bay or even beachside because a lot of homes are being rented instead of sold or while waiting for a sale. Be sure to check if heading to foreclosure on any rental.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Most Florida beaches do not allow dogs, however beaches that are state parks do (if the dog is on a leash). Sebastian Inlet State Park which is about 30 minutes south of Melbourne/Palm Bay is the closest.Cocoa Beach is very nice, and would highly recommend it as a place to live. Melbourne International has two airlines (Delta and USAir) which offer a few flights a day each. Delta flies nonstop to Atlanta and connects to wherever you want. USAir flies nonstop to Charlotte and similarly has tons of connections. Flying out of Melbourne is a touch more expensive than flying to/from Orlando but with much less hassle in terms of driving/parking and navigating long security lines, etc. If you can deal with the major lack of nonstop flights it's well worth it.
You can have dogs on leash at SISP in the campground; but I don't think you can bring the dog down on the sand with you legally. I might be wrong on that but I have never seen a dog on the beach there.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM

You're right, after reading the rule again it does mention allowing dogs in parks on a leash but not on the beach. They're allowed on trails and anyplace else thats not a "bathing area". Kind of weird, but oh well. I guess it's to keep ill-behaved dogs off the beach, though I see nothing for ill-behaved humans which is a much bigger problem.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 AM

163 posts, read 204,947 times
Default area with stores nearby

any towns with walkable stores nearby? doesnt have to be alot even just a pizza place or pharmacy to take my child out to during the day thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County