U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM

80 posts, read 191,587 times

Advertisements

Spent some time remodelling my brother's condo in Indian Harbour Beach a few years back. Right there they didn't have a whole lot (except the beach a block away), but I thought Melbourne was really nice and had everything I'd be looking for if we lived there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,269,633 times
There is a lot to do here, just depends on what you like. I've been here on and off for about 16 years, and always thought I would enjoy it a lot more if I had a boat. I'd love to be able to take off to an island or the Keys whenever I wanted to. It's a great place for families (great schools), easy access to the water, and within 3 hours of just about anywhere else in the state you might want to go.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM

19 posts, read 46,637 times
It depends on what you like to do. I'm still fairly young but I'm not big into the "nightlife" thing. If you want to go get drunk with a bunch of obnoxious music with lights buzzing around you, you'll have to go to Orlando. If you want to get drunk with a bunch of alcoholic rednecks and complain about your family life and job, then we got plenty of holes in the wall you can crawl in and die.

If you are a more outdoors type person, then this place is great. We have good inshore fishing and boating on the Mosquito Lagoon and Indian and Banana Rivers. Just a few miles away we have the freshwater swamp, lakes, and marsh of the Upper St. Johns River. We have Port Canaveral for offshore fishing or taking a cruise.

We have pretty good duck hunting, hog hunting, and okay upland bird hunting.

You can drive to South Florida relatively easy and go scuba diving if you want.

The springs of North Central Florida aren't too far away. They are beautiful. I appreciate the geology that created them, and they are a great way to cool off in the summer. You can scuba dive in some of them.

You can grow fruits, flowers, and vegetables year round. On the mainland we have enough chill hours to grow some varieties of cold weather fruits. Yet you can have tropical plants if you are willing to cover them a few nights during the winter. On south Merritt Island and the south beaches you can grow all sorts of tropical fruits. In fact, South Merritt Island is where many of the U.S. bred mangos were developed, and they are still grown on a small commercial scale.

Often you will hear that central Florida "has no seasons." That's absolutely not true. Things are just more subtle here and it takes awhile to understand things. It's just not as obvious as a snowstorm barreling down on you in December. But once you understand the cycles of things, you'll have so much to do that there is no way you can get it all done!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,258 times
We swam at Millenium Park Indian Harbour Beach but got cut by the submerged rocks there trying to ride in waves....how far in each direction can we go to NOT have rocks? Can we walk to a beach without the submerged rocks?? thanks.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
Default Space coast is boring!

I moved away after 20 yrs. don't see myself ever moving back. Once you get bored of the beaches, fried food, Ron Jons, having to drive to Orlando or elsewhere gets old very fast. Florida is like an aging beauty refusing to acknowledge old age. It's hot, flat, muddy, the Everglades is dying, and Bike week is a sad collection of idiots getting drunk. Europe, Asia and the UAE all rock by comparison.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:34 AM

790 posts, read 1,078,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbreid View Post
I moved away after 20 yrs. don't see myself ever moving back. Once you get bored of the beaches, fried food, Ron Jons, having to drive to Orlando or elsewhere gets old very fast. Florida is like an aging beauty refusing to acknowledge old age. It's hot, flat, muddy, the Everglades is dying, and Bike week is a sad collection of idiots getting drunk. Europe, Asia and the UAE all rock by comparison.
hit the nail on the head with this post. FL is the most OVERRATED place I have ever come across.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:25 AM

12,022 posts, read 12,030,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
hit the nail on the head with this post. FL is the most OVERRATED place I have ever come across.
Then move

Old 07-05-2014, 02:44 PM

4,896 posts, read 3,882,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbreid View Post
Europe, Asia and the UAE all rock by comparison.
Excellent point. Next to Dubai, Port Canaveral seems pretty dull although the new visitors center is a decent scaled down version of the Burj al Arab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or