U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 AM

35 posts, read 250,667 times

Advertisements

I'm always hearing ppl say space coast is boring.. "melboring" has nothing to do and cocoa beach is run down and lame... Is it really that boring??? I see they got a couple of things i'm into, such as an ice arena (hockey), boxing gyms, of course the beach-surfing.. Surely this area has alot more to offer, right?? So my questions are:

How's the restraunts and shopping stores there?? Big mall??

Is the pier a good spot to hang out and R the beaches clean??

What is nightlife like? Any decent clubs? (of course not comparing to miami,orlando,tampa...)

What's the age group like?? Mainly old retirees or quite a bit of younger ppl such as myself???

Now i'm not the kind of person who needs a huge city with millions of things to do, but i'm a 24 yr old guy who likes to have a little fun, so does the space coast have a little bit to offer for entertainment or is it just a lame, boring harbor town???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleNbox View Post
I'm always hearing ppl say space coast is boring.. "melboring" has nothing to do and cocoa beach is run down and lame... Is it really that boring??? I see they got a couple of things i'm into, such as an ice arena (hockey), boxing gyms, of course the beach-surfing.. Surely this area has alot more to offer, right?? So my questions are:

What is nightlife like? Any decent clubs? (of course not comparing to miami,orlando,tampa...)

What's the age group like?? Mainly old retirees or quite a bit of younger ppl such as myself???

Now i'm not the kind of person who needs a huge city with millions of things to do, but i'm a 24 yr old guy who likes to have a little fun, so does the space coast have a little bit to offer for entertainment or is it just a lame, boring harbor town???
This area is only boring if you are a boring person anywhere else in the world and it sounds like you have lots of interests to keep you busy. There is always something going on. A lot of people who knock the area are the young people who came from somewhere else and started going to clubs and staying out all hours of the night in NY etc.when they were teens. There are clubs but not as wild an atmosphere maybe. One thing about the space coast is it is located sort of centrally and you can go to Orlando,Tampa, Jacksonville for games and concerts with just a little planning. Can you find places to hang out.....sure the young adults where I work are always talking about where they went , the guys they met, etc. My kids didn;t have any trouble finding friends and places to go when they were in their early 20s and lived here.
Contrary to popular belief this area is not just retirees. There are lots of young familes and singles in the area.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 AM

35 posts, read 250,667 times
Good feedback...Anyone else care to add in??

Old 12-05-2010, 05:39 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,511,438 times
Honestly, I grew up there, and it IS boring. But you are close enough to Orlando to drive there when you want some good nightlife. Personally I could never move back to the space coast, I enjoy the amenities of the bigger city, but to each his own.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 AM

22,452 posts, read 33,300,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleNbox View Post

There aren't as many restaurants as one might hope but there are some decent ones:
Yelp | Search Businesses In Melbourne

For shopping there are a few decent malls:

Viera |
Melbourne Square - Melbourne, FL 32904 | Simon Malls
Merritt Square Mall :: 777 E. Merritt Island Cswy, FL, 32952 :: (321) 452-3270

Cocoa Village is interesting:

Welcome | Cocoa Village

The beaches are quite clean. Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach IMO are the nicest.

Nightlife doesn't compare to other big Florida cities but it does exist:
Nightlife Cocoa Beach

You'll find plenty of younger people to hang out with, so I wouldn't sweat that. If you're looking for a slower pace of life/smaller town yet with plenty of things to do, I think you'll like it just fine.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 PM

334 posts, read 1,029,581 times
I don't think Melbourne is boring, but I know folks who do.

There's all the regular shopping here. Best Buy, Target, the typical stores that at every mall in the country, etc. If you're looking to spend money on fancy designer stuff you'll have to go to Orlando, but keep in mind that the people here typically aren't the kind of folks who would want to spend $100+ on a pair of jeans.

Our nightlife is MUCH better than it used to be. When I moved here 5 years ago, there were only really 2 bars downtown. Now they're up to 10-15 within 3 or 4 blocks of each other, plus other excellent bars spread throughout the city. You won't run out of places to go. As for dance clubs, that's not really my thing so I don't know first hand how they are, but they are around. They're of course not going to compare with Orlando or Miami.

The restaurants here are great. As long as you're not afraid to venture from chains like Applebee's, you'll find excellent food in just about any cuisine you can think of, and it's just as good as you'll find anywhere else. Anyone who says the restaurants here suck either doesn't know what they're talking about, is too afraid to try someplace that isn't a chain, or is just looking to complain. But since it isn't a big city, you'll have (for instance) maybe one or two Thai restaurants instead of the 10 or 12 to choose from in a place like Orlando.

Cocoa is ghetto. You won't have a reason to go there. Cocoa Beach though is full of bars and isn't ghetto. I don't get up that way too often though so I don't know too much about them.

There are plenty of young folks here, but the biggest part of the population is families. The dating scene supposedly sucks. We all joke that we had to import our women.

Other than Cocoa Beach which gets trashed by out-of-towners every weekend, our beaches are very clean. We have some of the best surfing you'll find on the east coast. There are submerged rocks right at the edge of the water from about the Doubletree hotel in Melbourne north to Patrick AFB, but people surf there anyway, and outside of that range it's sandy a good ways out.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM

9,636 posts, read 12,060,314 times
We love Melbourne/Satellite Beach and have been here for almost 30 years (since we were younger). Occasionally, we travel to other places in Florida, which are all readily available within an hour or two (Orlando, Disney, Tampa, Jacksonville, West Palm, Vero, etc.).

Not only do we find everything we need in Melbourne, we rarely leave the beach side. Even there, we don't run out of restaurants, shopping, beaches, local services, etc. We don't do much 'clubbing' but, there are even 4-5 of those beachside.

There's an old story about a farmer on a busy road being asked by people passing through, "Is this town a friendly, nice place to live?" He would always ask, "How was the town/place where you are from?" -- Then, whatever their response, he would reply, "It's just like that here!"

Old 12-18-2010, 11:49 AM

27 posts, read 88,844 times
My wife an I moved here from NY.It gets really boring very fast.The food is terrible only so many times you can go to the beach or if you buy a boat you can enjoy that for awhile until it breaks or as in situation but 2 jet skis an one breaks all the time an is at the shop for 5months service down here is slow as you know what.My wife an I are moving to Virginia at the end of next year.Employment sucks down here.They do everything ass backwards,an are a penny smart dollar stupid.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM

3,718 posts, read 6,677,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchdemon89 View Post
My wife an I moved here from NY.It gets really boring very fast.The food is terrible only so many times you can go to the beach or if you buy a boat you can enjoy that for awhile until it breaks or as in situation but 2 jet skis an one breaks all the time an is at the shop for 5months service down here is slow as you know what.My wife an I are moving to Virginia at the end of next year.Employment sucks down here.They do everything ass backwards,an are a penny smart dollar stupid.
Attitude has a lot to do with adopting a new place and accepting it as home. There must have been some pretty major things wrong in NY to make you pick up and move to such a despicable place as the Spacecoast.
BTW before you start calling a whole community ass backwards and a penny smart- dollar stupid, you might consider checking your own sentence structure and punctuation.
Sorry you have been unhappy living here. Of course it isn't the place for everyone. As my mom used to tell me when I was a kid living outside Chicago and complaining about being bored and how I couldn't wait till I could move somewhere more exciting" Don't let the screen door hit you on the ass on your way out."

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 AM

334 posts, read 1,029,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchdemon89 View Post
The food is terrible
BS. Unless you're unwilling to go places other than Applebees and TGI Fridays, the food here is excellent.

What food options are you lacking that you had up in NY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or