U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM

195 posts, read 547,238 times

Advertisements

I'm considering an employment opportunity in Port Canaveral and i'd think the Orlando forum is the place to ask about the space coast since it doesn't have its own forum. I have quite a bit of time to decide and i'll spend a week in Breverd county before saying yes. What are the nicer towns on the space coast and which are the least desireable? How far of a commute is Palm Bay to Port Canaveral? I'm presently out-of-state but i've spent time living in the Fort Lauderdale area. If i return to Florida i'd like to live in an area without some of the problems found in south Florida. How does the space coast compare to Lauderdale? Also, are there areas east of Orlando that are within a half hour commute to Port Canaveral? As much time as i've spent in Florida i've never explored the space coast except for shooting through on I-95. I'd appreciate any input i can get on that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 05:40 PM

After posting this i noticed a Breverd County forum. Is that New? I was on here a few days ago and didn't notice it. Anyway, i'd still appreciate any input i can get and you guys can probably stil fill me in on whether or not there are nice areas east of Orlando within a half hour of Port Canaveral. I'll head to the Breverd forum and ask for help there.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:44 PM

4,193 posts, read 10,927,985 times
yup I think it was created yesterday or the day before.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,789,294 times
Well From the Orlando prospective. living in Orange County in the nicer areas on the southeast side would be well worth it. Not that far from the beach, closer than downtown, not far from heading into Orlando either so thats a plus. Also less traffic heading east towards the beaches in the morning and evening so commute looks SUNNY(Literally). I also think if you give us some numbers and what size home and or accomodations we could help more. Im familiar with both palm bay and Orlando...and I do not reccamend Palm bay by any standards. There are extremly nice areas in Titusville as well as East Orange County and Osceola as well. Just depend on what you want. An yes a half hour is about right. Sometime maybe less like 25 or 26 minutes. But Beachline takes you straight there.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,348,641 times
I like Port St John. The neighborhoods seem nicer than Titusville, and it's still super close to Port Canaveral.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Well From the Orlando prospective. living in Orange County in the nicer areas on the southeast side would be well worth it. Not that far from the beach, closer than downtown, not far from heading into Orlando either so thats a plus. Also less traffic heading east towards the beaches in the morning and evening so commute looks SUNNY(Literally). I also think if you give us some numbers and what size home and or accomodations we could help more. Im familiar with both palm bay and Orlando...and I do not reccamend Palm bay by any standards. There are extremly nice areas in Titusville as well as East Orange County and Osceola as well. Just depend on what you want. An yes a half hour is about right. Sometime maybe less like 25 or 26 minutes. But Beachline takes you straight there.
It's hard to give numbers because the cost of real estate seems to be ridiculously low in Florida these days. I'm a single guy averaging between 60 and 70 thousand a year. It seems like you can buy a very nice modern ranch home for $150,000 or even less. I recently sold my last house for $300,000 but it seems that would buy more than i really need in Florida. If i were back in south Florida i'd only be interested in a 2 bed 2 bath condo. Are there any areas close to Port Canaveral with a lot of condo developments? If i'm going to go back to home ownership a ranch is all i want to have to take care of. Why wouldn't you recommend Palm Bay? How about Melbourne? It seems Cocoa has a bad reputation.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:12 PM

263 posts, read 831,754 times
Both and Cocoa and Titusville have bad reps, according to the locals that we asked before we moved to Palm Bay. I recommend researching each area extensively, and taking at least a short trip to visit before deciding. I get so frustrated when people say Palm Bay is not a good area. The town is 90 square miles. How could anyone think the entire town is bad? Seems ridiculous to me.

Palm Bay is divided into 4 quadrants, and each one has it's own feel. The one we live in is very quiet, 25 minutes from Melbourne Beach, and very close to shopping. Any other entertainment is within easy reach. Crime is low, according to several websites. We have not seen major crime in the news since we moved here three months ago.

There a lot of condos in Cocoa Beach. I really enjoy that town and I think it would be great for someone who doesn't need a lot of space.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:25 PM

10,128 posts, read 13,057,830 times
Default Palm Bay - Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
Both and Cocoa and Titusville have bad reps, according to the locals that we asked before we moved to Palm Bay. I recommend researching each area extensively, and taking at least a short trip to visit before deciding. I get so frustrated when people say Palm Bay is not a good area. The town is 90 square miles. How could anyone think the entire town is bad? Seems ridiculous to me.

Palm Bay is divided into 4 quadrants, and each one has it's own feel. The one we live in is very quiet, 25 minutes from Melbourne Beach, and very close to shopping. Any other entertainment is within easy reach. Crime is low, according to several websites. We have not seen major crime in the news since we moved here three months ago.

There a lot of condos in Cocoa Beach. I really enjoy that town and I think it would be great for someone who doesn't need a lot of space.
As you point out, Palm Bay has some great areas. The Rap it takes outside of the area is due to several things:
1). Until the past few years, Palm Bay lot prices were so low that many folks were buying them on pure speculation. (There were also some scandals with General Development and other major developers). The low prices seemed to lead to a great deal of lower-end housing -- and some neighborhoods/housing that were not maintained.

2). At 90 sq. miles, Palm Bay is really spread out. Most of the employment opportunities (apart from the service sector -- and, to some extent, Harris Palm Bay) --- are elsewhere. Therefore, almost everyone commutes twice daily, which has created significant traffic problems.

3). While the roads and new developments in Palm Bay are expanding, the general sense is that the roads have not kept-up with the housing and traffic gets pretty backed-up.

4). A large percentage of the Melbourne area foreclosures have been in Palm Bay, which has driven property values there down faster than in other areas. (Property values are way down throughout the Melbourne area, but Palm Bay still pretty much leads in that category).

Otherwise, there are some great developments and housing areas in Palm Bay ... and it appears to be a nice place to live. However, old perceptions die slowly and Palm Bay has still not shaken some of its earlier image problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County