U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM

24,101 posts, read 24,148,097 times

Advertisements

Missed the local news last night 12/13/2010.. Some where which I cannot find was a report on the status of lay offs at the Space Center..they said they had moved the dates up from what was reported due too the STS 133 Mission being rolled back too the VAB.
Has any one read or viewed this. If so please paste a link..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 PM

122 posts, read 275,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Missed the local news last night 12/13/2010.. Some where which I cannot find was a report on the status of lay offs at the Space Center..they said they had moved the dates up from what was reported due too the STS 133 Mission being rolled back too the VAB.
Has any one read or viewed this. If so please paste a link..
The latest news is that the shuttle won't be rolled back out of the VAB until mid-January while they investigate the mystery cracks.

After tank test, shuttle Discovery to roll back to VAB | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm dude View Post
The latest news is that the shuttle won't be rolled back out of the VAB until mid-January while they investigate the mystery cracks.

After tank test, shuttle Discovery to roll back to wap.floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY
I know about those mystery cracks.. It's the moving up in date of the lay offs coming down the pipe I'm curious about..

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 AM

195 posts, read 528,857 times
I don't live in the area and i don't really know what's going on with NASA but there's been news about NASA coming to an end. What's the story behind all this and if it's true what is the future of the land where NASA sits? Sorry if my post is off base but i've noticed talk about this whenever the space program is mentioned on t.v. or radio.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM

9,622 posts, read 12,055,660 times
The demise of the Shuttle program has been on the books for the past 6-8 years, with the fallout involving some thousands of layoffs. Until just last year, the expectation was that the direct NASA jobs would be preserved on the Constellation Program ... and that most of the folks losing their jobs would be subcontractors working on the Shuttle ..... until the Constellation funding was cut.

Now, it appears that several thousand layoffs are in progress, which will have a huge impact on the Titusville and North Brevard area (housing, small businesses, services, etc). There will likely also be a residual fallout that will further decimate upper-end housing, throughout Brevard County. That may be because major technology companies (Harris, Northrop, Boeing, etc) will likely try to hire highly paid engineers and other laid-off KSC workers. That's a two-edged sword. On one hand, it will help reduce the overall 'unemployment' impact; On the other, it means that new hires will not be buying houses throughout the overall Melbourne area.

Because of the duration of the Shuttle program and strong employee retention, many workers are 'retirement-ready' - and will not add to the overall 'unemployed' rolls (now at 9%+) -- It really isn't known yet, what the overall impact on the economy will be -- or exactly how many jobs will ultimately be lost.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM

The real double edge sword is some workers that got laid off can't return too the Space Center due to a clause in their severance package contract..if they take work with in 50 miles of the Space Center they will loose portions of their severance package that will paid out over the next two years..

http://www.americaspace.org/?cat=91

Old 12-26-2010, 01:06 PM

195 posts, read 528,857 times
What are the future plans for the land which NASA is located? Will it still be used for the same purpose or will the space coast lose what it's been named after? I've been considering a job opportunity in Port Canaveral but this whole thing has me nervous about the future of that area and the trickle down effect that might be felt by everyone making a living in that area.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
What are the future plans for the land which NASA is located? Will it still be used for the same purpose or will the space coast lose what it's been named after? I've been considering a job opportunity in Port Canaveral but this whole thing has me nervous about the future of that area and the trickle down effect that might be felt by everyone making a living in that area.
It's the other way around.. The land is the Canaveral National Sea Shore & Merritt Island Wildlife Refuse & Black Point. Looking at a map the most eastern portion is the US Air Force & US Navy ~ US Coast Guard.. Looking at the map again follow the coast line North from Canaveral at Jetty Park too New Smyrna Beach due east of Oak Hill Florida is the approximate North Boundary..That's the National Seashore.. I want too say 300,000 acres.
The Kennedy Space Center will all ways be there either as a overseer and research area.. lightning ~ solar ~ and other resources
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...lar_farms.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County