U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 PM

45 posts, read 123,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Only 5 states out of 50 have made fireworks illegal. Those states are: Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. Thereby, its not only FL where fireworks abound.

Delaware
Massachusetts
New Jersey New York
Rhode Island
Um, according to who? Here is an excerpt from an article by tampabay.com/news:

In Florida, it's illegal to buy, sell or explode consumer fireworks — even on your own property — unless you (A) have a city permit to shoot off fireworks for the public to enjoy; (B) will use the explosives to scare off birds from a farm or fish hatchery; or (C) you work on a railroad and need to light or clear a path for your train. The state defines "fireworks" to include standard fireworks, projectile fireworks, launchable rockets with stands, M-80s and bottle rockets.

Here is the link to the full articel:
Florida's fireworks laws: What's legal, and what's not? - St. Petersburg Times

Cite your facts, folks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM

334 posts, read 1,029,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgel View Post

In Florida, it's illegal to buy, sell or explode consumer fireworks — even on your own property — unless you (A) have a city permit to shoot off fireworks for the public to enjoy; (B) will use the explosives to scare off birds from a farm or fish hatchery; or (C) you work on a railroad and need to light or clear a path for your train. The state defines "fireworks" to include standard fireworks, projectile fireworks, launchable rockets with stands, M-80s and bottle rockets.

Cite your facts, folks!
Sparklers, fountains, tanks, and other ground-based fireworks are completely legal in FL though. You can even buy them at Publix, no paperwork necessary. I suspect the person you quoted is from a place like NY where everything, even sparklers, are illegal. He or she may not know that there is a distinction between aerial fireworks and explosives and legal ground-based fireworks.

I was completely stunned when one of my friends from NY told me sparklers were illegal there. It's just seems so absurd...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM

45 posts, read 123,748 times
Jdoty,

The article goes on to state that it's not including things like sparklers and those white things that snap when you throw them on the grown or those little plastic champagn bottles that shoot confetti as "consumer fireworks".

Old 01-08-2011, 04:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 14,047,097 times
Here is a site that states each state law.

Directory of State Laws

Quote:

Cite your facts, folks!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:13 PM

812 posts, read 1,469,862 times
Quote:
Did you seriously just compare lighting a bottle rocket to getting behind of a vehicle drunk?!?!?
Did you SERIOUSLY get that from reading what I typed?!?!?!?

Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM

802 posts, read 1,520,935 times
Some kids a few houses down are lighting off fireworks as I speak and its Jan 13th. Its pretty safe to say there's a solid two months of fireworks in the state of Florida when you factor in the 4th of july and New Years. Pretty soon we'll have to designate a few weeks around Memorial Day and Vets Day and when that happens its 4-5 months of fireworks at any hour of the day. I swear its almost impossible to escape from the noise pollution in Florida. Where I live there's idiots flying their cmmuter planes about 100 ft above the homes at 5am. Not to mention the wasteful low flying helicopters to track the fugitives that are never caught.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,977 times
ugh I just hate fireworks. they remind me to much of mortar rounds in Iraq. Its my fault for living in downtown saint pete but I still hate them. Freaks me out all the time. I know they are fireworks but my body tells me its mortar rounds and to take cover. On July 4th and New Years....of course they like to shoot fireworks for any dang reason down here...but those two holidays I end up in the 4th floor at the VA sleeping through it. Its a padded room. I cant hear crap. Good Sleep for me.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM

4,941 posts, read 5,992,389 times
What about the tradition of firing gunshots into the air at midnight?
Hate it.
Only in Florida.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM

9,636 posts, read 12,060,314 times
Fireworks are illegal in Florida and everyone knows that signing a paper saying that one is using fireworks to keep birds away from crops or build a railroad is only a lie disguised as a loophole.

There are an amazing number of large fireworks stores located across Florida and the Southeast, all apparently able to stay in business year-round based on this loophole (?) --- As we drove back to Florida from Atlanta today, we passed at least 6-8 fireworks stores, each of which had an average of 10 cars ... all ostensibly driven by farmers with bird problems (or railroad builders). - Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM

28 posts, read 45,637 times
I agree wholeheartedly... This would never occur in New York.. Noise ordinances.. etc etc etc.. and they just continued going off for more than 4 hours... now that's rude! Then you add if they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs just makes a bad equation all around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County