U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So I am a 22 year old male, just out of college, and I accepted a Job offer from Harris, so obviously I will be moving into the area. The thing I'm worried about after reading many forums is that there will not be much to do for me when I'm not working specifically the nightlife. I come from Rochester NY which has 2 main streets of clubs and bars etc, nothing big but it defiantly will keep you occupied. Obviously the Melbourne area isn't that big but I'm just looking for some reassurance that there is some good bars and clubs in the area. Knowing me I will probably just suck it up and commute from Orlando if I have to once I get settled with my loans and can afford a new car.

Anyways if anyone could help, it will be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM

334 posts, read 1,032,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogie View Post
Hello,

So I am a 22 year old male, just out of college, and I accepted a Job offer from Harris, so obviously I will be moving into the area. The thing I'm worried about after reading many forums is that there will not be much to do for me when I'm not working specifically the nightlife. I come from Rochester NY which has 2 main streets of clubs and bars etc, nothing big but it defiantly will keep you occupied. Obviously the Melbourne area isn't that big but I'm just looking for some reassurance that there is some good bars and clubs in the area. Knowing me I will probably just suck it up and commute from Orlando if I have to once I get settled with my loans and can afford a new car.

This place isn't as exciting as Orlando of course, but downtown Melbourne has a large number of bars and restaurants. When I moved here in '06 this wasn't the case, but it's really taken off in the past 5 years. There is something like 10 or 15 bars downtown. There are also plenty of bars spread out throughout the city. Broken Barrel in Palm Bay in particular is popular with other Harris engineers.

Harris has a very active social group for new hires. They're always doing something, including bus trips to the Church Street bars in downtown Orlando.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:04 PM

18 posts, read 60,556 times
Hi there!

If you're a beach person, you're going to want to stay in Melbourne vs. Orlando.

Plus, long commutes get really old, really quickly. You may be better off community to Orlando during the weekends and days off vs. trying to commute to Melbourne every day.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 AM

3,724 posts, read 6,705,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
This place isn't as exciting as Orlando of course, but downtown Melbourne has a large number of bars and restaurants. When I moved here in '06 this wasn't the case, but it's really taken off in the past 5 years. There is something like 10 or 15 bars downtown. There are also plenty of bars spread out throughout the city. Broken Barrel in Palm Bay in particular is popular with other Harris engineers.

Harris has a very active social group for new hires. They're always doing something, including bus trips to the Church Street bars in downtown Orlando.
And unless things have changed since my husband got laid off there back in the 90s, often you end up working round the clock almost when a project is having troubles or completion is needed yesterday; so home in Orlando might be inconvenient on those nights you work late.

When you think nightlife in Melbourne remember you also have Cocoa Beach area bars etc. My sons weren't into the club scene somuchand spent most of their time at the beach surfing till dark getting together with friends and are on sports teams locally. Sometimes they would hire a limo and go clubbing in Orlando so they wouldn't have to pick a designated driver. Sometimes they surfed at Typhoon Lagoon in private parties. They go to magic Games and sometimes down to miami or Tampa for baserball and of course they still go to the theme parks and concerts in Orlando and Tampa. They always find something to do when they aren't working.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,908,039 times
I went to college at FIT and graduated/moved away in 2007. I always had a blast in downtown Melbourne... I've actually been back a few times since I left and it's gotten even BETTER! "Back in the day" it was just 3 or 4 bars/restaurants in downtown, but now there's many more. Personally, my all-time favorite is Mainstreet Pub. You've got Meg O'Malleys, Foobar (is that still open?), Matt's Casbah, Off the Traxx, and probably some others I can't think of.

But yes, Orlando and Cocoa Beach are a short drive away if you want a different scene. I lived in the area for 4yrs and was never bored!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM

181 posts, read 419,882 times
My relative left Melbourne after graduating in 2009. We are New Yorkers as well. Closer to NYC than you though. Anyway, Melbourne, in my relatives eyes was outright boring! I hated visting there. It always felt to quiet and forgotten. No good pizza or bread there either. Good luck in your new job. I hope you end up liking it there. The beaches are good.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

55 posts, read 210,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogie View Post
Hello,

Harris My step father, and, in laws all retired from there as did many friends.
You will find that there is literally hundreds of nice places to go out here and, Palm Bay as well as Viera are very growing areas that, Palm Bay is not little. The best place for all is centrally located to all of the space coast night life, etc and, to Orlando within 1 hour is the town of Viera.
Congrats and, Good luck to you!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM

264 posts, read 682,875 times
Trilogie, you are going to HATE life living in Melbourne. I highly recommend reconsidering and searching elsewhere. I wish I could reach through the screen and slap you right now just to show you how much I mean it.

Whatever you're doing, please just STOP and tell yourself you will NOT move here. You can have a much better life serving ice cream in Orlando if thats an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County