U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 PM

18 posts, read 60,415 times

Advertisements

When my husband's job transferred us to Melbourne, I freaked out. I had never heard of the place. My expectations were low and none of my thoughts were good! That was my own northern and misinformed bias.

We were welcomed with open arms in our neighborhood. Our neighbors were very friendly and social, and we felt right at home right away. Our neighborhood was very diverse--African American, Latino, Asian, multiracial and Middle Eastern families were all represented on our block and in our subdivision. People in general around town were very friendly and welcoming to us as newcomers. I liked Melbourne very much.

Yes, there are folk who drive around with rebel flags and gun racks, but those are not the majority. My family and I never had any problems when we lived there, racial or otherwise (except these terrible neighbors we had after we moved from our happy place...).

The cost of living there is the best of anyplace I've ever lived (LA, Chicago, Detroit, and east of Philadelphia). You can get a nice apartment and even purchase a home at an affordable price there. Cheap is good for students!

Like others have said, the school is a great area. We didn't live too far from there. Lots of activities within walking/biking distance.

I will warn you--if you're used to bigger-city living, it can get MelBoring there . If you do get a taste for the nightlife, downtown Melbourne is a good place to start. They have good restaurants and bars there. There are also some towns close by including beachside that you may want to check out. It won't be hard to find your niche there.

Again, it's a great city. I really hope your move works out well for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,897,771 times
FIT grad - class of May 2007

I loved Melbourne! It's actually gotten even better after I left... so has FIT for that matter. Being black and going to FIT will not be a problem at all - FIT is one of the most culturally diverse universities in the country. I know when I went to FIT they were raving about some crazy amount of different countries that were enrolled in the school (I don't remember the number, but it was pretty high).

I agree with everyone else - stay off University east of Babcock. Seriously, you go down there and you think you're in a completely different world. Other than that, you should be fine!

Downtown Melbourne is great in my eyes. My favorite bar always is and always will be Mainstreet Pub. I was there the day it opened and STILL go back there if I'm ever in town. Island Pasta is my absolute favorite restaurant! There's also lots of little boutique shops in downtown which is great for strolling, especially if family ever comes to visit. And if you ever get bored with what Melbourne has to offer, Orlando is only an hour away, Cocoa Beach a half hour, Miami 3 hours, you get the picture. You'll be very accessible to anywhere you want to go in Florida, not to mention very cheap flights to the Bahamas

Saratoga Apartments - I lived there for 3 years and loved it! Management is absolutely fantastic - they literally know every single person in that complex by name. I did have some maintenance issues, but that's mainly because appliances and such in my apt were very old and never upgraded (I would imagine that's better now). Alot of FIT kids do rent there, so just be aware that there's the possibility of getting noisy neighbors, but if you talk to management they will definitely take care of it. Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from Sugarmill Apartments - I think they've renamed it, it's on Babcock, across the street from Chumley's. I lived there for a year and that place was a hell hole and a half!!

Hope this helps, and welcome to FIT

Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM

181 posts, read 418,843 times
My family member lived at Saratoga Apts while at F.I.T. I can tell you that for the most part, the staff is very attentive to issues that may arise dring your time staying there. The interiors are O.K., You will generally get a freshly painted apartment when you move in and the carpet is typically replaced with a new tenant. The kitchens are mostly original, along with the bathrooms. The one issue that came up several times during my family memebers stay, is that there would be people hanging around in the open areas in between the buildings, trying to beg for money. This happened several times during the course of a year, not all the time. They have a car wash area thats good to know about also.

As far as looking into renting at Lake in the woods....ask to read a copy of the rules and regualtions before you agree to anything. I realize this area of the country experiences humid weather, thereby some of the rules seems extreme to me, but they are absolutely rediculous. For example.....you were not allowed to close your shower door after you took a shower, because it would promote mildew growth. You, the tenant, would be responsible for anyone who enters your apartment. If that visitor left and damaged another tenants car on his/her way out, YOU would be responsible. If your visitor arrived at your front doorway, drunk or high and something arose from that, it would be YOUR responsibility. You also were not allowed to keep wet dishes in a dish drain! It was a list that was insane!!!!!! SO BE FORWARNED!!!!

Look into Windover Health Club also. Again, an older interior to the apartments, but overall the staff was pretty attentive. If you choose there, here's a hint, dont take anything near the basketball courts, they are used all day long and the noise can get on your nerves!

Theres another complex that begins with "University: I thought, that were newer 2/3 bedroom condos that owners rented out. There were a few students from FIT renting those. The problem with that is the owners are the ones who are responsible for the maintainence, there was no management company at the time we looked at it. The units were brand new, had granite kitchens and a great floorplan.

Good luck. My family member did not like the area at all. It is a VERY quiet campus. The homecoming rally we attended, felt like a funeral procession. Just not spirited the way you expect a college to be.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 AM

264 posts, read 681,676 times
i grew up here and i will tell you that most people in this town are all people who have had troubled pasts. anyone who is someone that was from this town GOT THE HELL OUT. the people that were left over are the ones who were into drugs, had kids, and made poor decisions.

you will lose your soul here if you stay for too long, anyone even thinking of moving here as a possibility MUST reconsider. consider this a fair warning, you may not see or understand it now, but this is not where you want to be unless you are borderline broke, retiring or disabled.

Last edited by cfo.evo; 02-20-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,727,366 times
Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm not a "club and party guy," as long as its safe to walk, bike, shop and go to the beach hopefully it would be ok lol. I have no problem with it being boring.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM

3,718 posts, read 6,678,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
i grew up here and i will tell you that most people in this town are all people who have had troubled pasts. anyone who is someone that was from this town GOT THE HELL OUT. the people that were left over are the ones who were into drugs, had kids, and made poor decisions.

you will lose your soul here if you stay for too long, anyone even thinking of moving here as a possibility MUST reconsider. consider this a fair warning, you may not see or understand it now, but this is not where you want to be unless you are borderline broke, retiring or disabled.

Unbelievable......

Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 PM

2,714 posts, read 2,727,366 times
Ok so I have been looking into apartments.
could anyone give me a estimate, or tell me what they are paying for utilities?

I am looking at a 600 ft 1 bedroom apartment.
I have $400-500, after I pay rent so I'm trying to workout a budget.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM

35 posts, read 81,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I have visited Daytona Beach near the Speedway/Embry Riddle area, are they basically the same kind of lifestyle?
No Daytona has a much bigger night life area then Melbourne does.....

Crime all depends on the area.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or