U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,189,223 times
Reputation: 2141

Advertisements

Hi there,

Does anyone know or is there a boundary map available that can tell me where are the spots where you can see the launch pad besides the NASA Causeway which you need tickets for?

I would really like to go but I don't know where to sit....taking pics seems impossible unless one has a longer lens 400mm+....what can you see from Jetty park? and is it even open? Titusville seems really far.......

Thoughts?


Thank you,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,051,869 times
Reputation: 6028
Try Titusville. Right at the end of SR 50.


Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Hi there,

Does anyone know or is there a boundary map available that can tell me where are the spots where you can see the launch pad besides the NASA Causeway which you need tickets for?

I would really like to go but I don't know where to sit....taking pics seems impossible unless one has a longer lens 400mm+....what can you see from Jetty park? and is it even open? Titusville seems really far.......

Thoughts?


Thank you,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 08:13 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,189,223 times
Reputation: 2141
I looked at pics taken from there and it seems that I would need a very long lens for that location...how is A1A? we've always went to Daytona and Cocoa when we lived in Orlando so....I'm not sure...

Does that location get crowded fast? in Titusville? (what I mean by fast is 4AM for a 4pm launch?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Try Titusville. Right at the end of SR 50.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,051,869 times
Reputation: 6028
At the end of 50 you will find US 1. It is directly across the bay from the launch site. I don't know what kind of lens you would need.
You'll be a heck of a lot closer than Daytona or Cocoa.






Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I looked at pics taken from there and it seems that I would need a very long lens for that location...how is A1A? we've always went to Daytona and Cocoa when we lived in Orlando so....I'm not sure...

Does that location get crowded fast? in Titusville? (what I mean by fast is 4AM for a 4pm launch?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,189,223 times
Reputation: 2141
Lens wise, anything short of 400mm would be a waste of time and the Shuttle will look like an ant, That I figured out........Ok, but is there a way to park there? or do they have that set up as a "viewing area"? I found all sorts of info online but without knowing what will be blocked off, it's kinda of a moot point! Meaning, they list areas for "viewing" but don't tell where at what street they will block everything off and at what time...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
At the end of 50 you will find US 1. It is directly across the bay from the launch site. I don't know what kind of lens you would need.
You'll be a heck of a lot closer than Daytona or Cocoa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 AM
 
35,319 posts, read 44,598,180 times
Reputation: 30790
Thought the shuttle program was over but in case they change their minds.

Space Shuttle Launch Viewing Reccomendations
I like the Parrish Park out on the Max Brewer Causeway. Get there 24 hours before a launch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM
 
15 posts, read 35,954 times
Reputation: 12
There are a lot of open parking spaces at the ‘Miracle City Mall’. It’s at US 1 & Harrison street in Titusville. There aren’t many stores still open so the mall parking lot is for the most part empty. Across the highway from the mall is a vacant lot owned by the city. The vacant lot is about 12 miles away from the launch site. It’s a clear view and if conditions are right it’s still close enough for the sound to shake the ground.

Ben Cooper has Titusville and other area viewing information at LaunchPhotography.com

Enjoy the flight!

Last edited by waterlou; 01-25-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,189,223 times
Reputation: 2141
I've been actually talking to him and he explained a lot of things I wanted to know about it. He's awesome.

I can't get there 24hrs prior...would be nice, but not doable...I wonder if they close off SR50...That seemed like a really good spot!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thought the shuttle program was over but in case they change their minds.

Space Shuttle Launch Viewing Reccomendations
I like the Parrish Park out on the Max Brewer Causeway. Get there 24 hours before a launch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,189,223 times
Reputation: 2141
I'm going to do a drive by one of these coming weekends and see if I can talk to a cop about closures (times/boundaries to give me a "visual idea")

Will scout that whole area and see where I want to be...LOL AND Will try to get tickets for the next one for sure, I had no idea they were going that fast!


Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlou View Post
There are a lot of open parking spaces at the ‘Miracle City Mall’. It’s at US 1 & Harrison street in Titusville. There aren’t many stores still open so the mall parking lot is for the most part empty. Across the highway from the mall is a vacant lot owned by the city. The vacant lot is about 12 miles away from the launch site. It’s a clear view and if conditions are right it’s still close enough for the sound to shake the ground.

Ben Cooper has Titusville and other area viewing information at LaunchPhotography.com

Enjoy the flight!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Palm Bay, FL
334 posts, read 1,029,967 times
Reputation: 289
Jetty Park is open and a great spot to watch, but you can't see the shuttle launch pads directly from there.

There is decent viewing along SR-528. Lots of people will pull onto the grassy parts off the road by the water and set up grills and such and spend the day waiting for the launch on the side of the highway!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top